Marvel have announced that Mary Jane Watson is “getting a superhero overhaul” this June through a series of Mary Jane Watson Variants. This is to celebrate the launch of the new series, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man in its first issue in June.
Previously, the Gwen Stacy Variant Program and Venomized Variant Program followed a similar course, and so it’s not a huge surprise that Marvel are presenting a Mary Jane Watson Program. Written by Chip Zdarsky and drawn by Adam Kubert, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man is receiving plenty of attention as a big summer launch, supported by this program.
The variants do pose some intriguing and imaginative questions, as Marvel states, like:
What if Mary Jane had been awarded the Eye of Agamotto to become the new Dr. Strange? What if she had taken up the one-woman war on crime as the Punisher? Or became infused with gamma radiation to become the new Incredible Hulk?
Well, as much as I like those heroes, I think Mary Jane would have totally crushed it in those roles. So what books will be graced with her cover-presence?
They will be:
- ALL-NEW WOLVERINE #21 by David Lopez
- AVENGERS #8 by Mike Allred
- CHAMPIONS #9 by Helen Chen
- DOCTOR STRANGE #22 by Francisco Herrera
- GWENPOOL, THE UNBELIEVABLE #17 by David Nakayama
- HULK #7 by Rahzzah
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #8 by Marco Checchetto
- IRON FIST #4 by Stephanie Hans
- SPIDER-GWEN #21 by Kevin Wada
- THE MIGHTY CAPTAIN MARVEL #6 by Chris Samnee
- THE PUNISHER #13 by Dave Williams
- VENOM #151 by Francesco Mattina
- ALL-NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #3 by TBA
- BLACK BOLT #2 by Ryan Stegman
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: STEVE ROGERS #18 by Paolo Rivera
- DAREDEVIL #21 by Humberto Ramos
- DEADPOOL #32 by Elizabeth Torque
- I AM GROOT #2 by TBA
- MIGHTY THOR #20 by Patrick Brown
- SECRET WARRIORS #3 by Humberto Ramos
- X-MEN BLUE #5 by TBA
- X-MEN GOLD #5 by Anthony Piper
And here are some more cover reveals:
Look out for The Mary Jane Watson Variant Program from Marvel in June! It’ll be hard to miss!