Just before the holidays, news broke of a brand new awards featuring comics set to debut in 2018. Pop Culture Classroom, the same children’s literacy non-profit that is a partner of Denver Comic Con, will be presenting the Excellence in Graphic Literature Awards in 2018.
The awards, also known as EGLs, have been established to “celebrate the best in fiction and nonfiction graphic novels”, according to PCC. They have taken this step in acknowledgement of just how expansive the field of graphic novels has become, branching out through the book store market as well as local comic shops, and impacting “literacy, education, and academia”.
Due to the nature of Pop Culture Classroom, it’s no surprise that they have a particular interest in the impact that graphic novels have had on libraries and education, but they also acknowledge the ways in which the rise of graphic novels is creating “new career opportunities” for storytellers.
The goal of the EGLs is to “inspire a love of learning, increase literacy, celebrate diversity and build community through the tools of popular culture and the power of self-expression”.
Here’s a look at the categories the EGLs will be accepting nominations in:
Children’s Fiction (Grade 5 & Under)
Children’s Nonfiction (Grade 5 & Under)
Middle Grade Fiction (Grades 6-8)
Middle Grade Nonfiction (Grades 6-8)
Young Adult Fiction (Grades 9-12)
Young Adult Nonfiction (Grades 9-12)
Mosaic Award – This honor recognizes the ever-growing number of talented storytellers and rich content that come from our diverse communities, ethnicities, nationalities, faiths, genders, and orientations. The Mosaic Award is open to titles that span any age range. Qualification for this category must include a statement as to how the submission reflects the principles of the Mosaic Award.
Book of the Year – Winners of each of the above nine categories will be entered into competition for the Book of the Year. Book of the Year will represent the year’s very best in graphic literature.
You’ll notice that this is a much wider field of awards in terms of children’s and young adult graphic novels than currently exists elsewhere, which is bound to give more possibilities for recognition to those working on all-ages and YA graphic novels.
The EGLs are currently accepting nominations, and while many big publishers are already working with the EGLs to get nominations rolling for 2018, they’d particularly like to hear from smaller publishers at this time, too.
Here’s an idea of what the criteria are for submitting nominations:
EGL Submission Criteria
- Titles may be submitted for consideration by a verifiable author, editor, or publisher.
- Members of the juries and advisory board may reach out to authors, editors, or publishers to encourage submission of a specific title(s). This does not guarantee nomination.
- No weighting will be applied based on the publishing house, author, artists, or editorial staff involved with the publishing of any title.
- Titles submitted for consideration will be assigned to one of four juries: Children, Middle Grade, Young Adult, or Adult.
- Titles submitted will be in finished, printed, hard copy editions only. EBook, web comic, or other forms beyond printed matter will not be considered.
- Titles will have a publication and distribution date that falls between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
- Titles may be published outside the territories of the U.S. but must have 2017 distribution in the U.S. territories to qualify for consideration.
- Single comic book magazines or stories published exclusively in single magazine format will not be accepted. However, collected editions of material previously published in single magazine format are acceptable as long as the publication date of the collection falls within the date parameters for that year’s award.
If you would like your publisher or a publisher of a work that deserves more attention to submit nominations, spread the word about the EGLs, and send them the link for submissions, found right here.
The submission window will close on January 31st, so get nominating! Nominations will be finalized and announced on March 15th, 2018, and the winners will be announced in a special ceremony on June 16th, 2018, at Denver Comic Con.
Here’s a video with a little more information about the EGLs: