Image Comics is starting a #WeBelieve variant cover program that will kick off in March by spotlighting the work of artists in the field of comics.
The publisher has revealed 7 of the 14 covers that will be part of the program. “We Believe in Artists” is only the first wave of #WeBelieve 2018, a campaign “highlighting the important, lately overlooked components of the comics industry”, according to Image. The publisher hopes to draw attention to “the momentous significance a piece of artwork can have to sell these stories to readers”.
Image Publisher Eric Stephenson says:
Simply put, without artists, there would be no comics. The success of the comics industry ultimately hinges on well-told stories, but because comics is by definition a visual medium, artists are integral to that storytelling. Image has always believed in the importance of artists—our company was founded by artists, after all—and we are proud to celebrate the fact that artists of all stripes—from pencilers and inkers to colorists, letterers, and graphic designers—continue to make this wonderful medium so vital, vibrant, and unique.
The covers will appear without titles, endorsement quotes, names, logos, or jacket copy, focusing instead on “masterpiece artwork”.The following series will feature special variant covers:
Available on Wednesday, March 7th, final order cutoff deadline on Monday, February 12th:
- EXTREMITY #12 (Diamond Code JAN180743) by Daniel Warren Johnson
- I HATE FAIRYLAND #17 (Diamond Code JAN180756) by Skottie Young
- THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #34 (Diamond Code JAN180654) by Jamie McKelvie
- WITCHBLADE #4 (Diamond Code JAN180875) by Roberta Ingranata
- CURSE WORDS #12 (Diamond Code JAN180722) by Ryan Browne
- DEADLY CLASS #32 (Diamond Code JAN180624) by Wes Craig
- MAESTROS #6 (Diamond Code JAN180797) by Nicholas Pitarra
- VS #2 (Diamond Code JAN180842) by Esad Ribić
- KILL OR BE KILLED #17 (Diamond Code JAN180793) by Sean Phillips
- MONSTRESS #15 (Diamond Code JAN180801) by Yoshi Yoshitani
- RUMBLE #4 (Diamond Code JAN180820) by David Rubín
- BEAUTY #21 (Diamond Code JAN180700) by Jeremy Haun
- SPAWN #284 (Diamond Code JAN180831) by Todd McFarlane
- EAST OF WEST #37 (Diamond Code DEC178255) by Nick Dragotta
Here’s a look at those 7 covers revealed so far: