Dark Horse have announced that Anthony Bourdain’s final work in comics, the series Hungry Ghosts, will be collected in a hardcover edition, and released in early October from the imprint Berger Books.
The series appeared in single issues, and was an off-beat and very interesting read with a horror slant—chefs tell each other harrowing ghost stories along with their meals in a form of competition. The artwork on the series was also top notch and fascinating—a perfect combination of collaborators brought the stories to life across cultures.
For fans of Bourdain’s magnetic personality and storytelling, it’s a must, but it’s also a great addition to comics and comics art, including the work of co-writer Joel Rose, his friend and longtime collaborator, as well as artwork by Sebastian Cabrol, Vanesa Del Rey, Francesco Francavilla, Irene Koh, Leonardo Manco, Alberto Ponticelli, Paul Pope, and Mateus Santolouco, with colors by the great Jose Villarrubia.
Dark Horse explains:
The graphic novel substitutes chefs in place of the traditional samurai, and transforms the classic stories of yokai, yorei, and obake by adding a common thread: food is central to each bone-chilling tale. On a dark, eerie night a Russian oligarch dares a circle of international chefs to play the Samurai game of 100 Candles—where each storyteller blows out a candle after telling a terrifying tale of ghosts, demons and unspeakable beings, praying to survive the challenge.
The full color, hardcover book goes on sale in comic book shops and bookstores on October 2, 2018 and features:
- Five all-new original recipes prepared by Bourdain;
- An extended dedication and beautiful send off to Bourdain written by Rose;
- Stories stunningly illustrated by artists Sebastian Cabrol, Vanesa Del Rey, Francesco Francavilla, Irene Koh, Leonardo Manco, Alberto Ponticelli, Paul Pope, and Mateus Santolouco, with amazing color by Jose Villarrubia;
- The Real Ghosts, a handy guide to the legendary spirits behind the terrifying tales, written by Rose, with illustrations by Leonardo Manco;
- A reunion for Bourdain and Rose with legendary comic book editor Karen Berger — the editor of Dark Horse Comics’ imprint Berger Books and recent inductee into the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards Hall of Fame — who was the founding editor of Vertigo Comics, which published Bourdain and Rose’s graphic novel debut, the New York Times #1 bestseller, Get Jiro!
- A jaw-dropping cover by bestselling comics artist Paul Pope.
Karen Berger reflects:
It remains a great privilege to publish Anthony Bourdain,” said Karen Berger. “Tony grew up a huge fan of R. Crumb and the horror stories of EC Comics and for a time, he wanted to be a comic book artist. But Tony loved co-writing comics with Joel and collaborating with the artists. It’s heartbreaking that we lost Tony, but I’ll always treasure my memories of his irreverent spirit, generosity, and his passion for comics and art.
(128 pages / color / on sale October 2, 2018 in comic shops and everywhere books are sold / $14.99 HC / ISBN 978-1506706696 / Berger Books, Dark Horse Comics, Inc.)