The Eye of the Midnight Sun and the Diamond Kingdom attack the Witches’ Forest simultaneously! But with Asta’s arms still a mess, can the Black Bulls do anything to stop either group? Remember, if you like this article and 5 Point Discussions, please share it on Facebook or Twitter! It really helps. And if you’ve got any comments or questions, please hit me up @SageShinigami.
1. This image about sums up what happened this episode. Asta’s arms are still busted, Vanessa’s on the ground after talking back to the Queen, and then the Midnight Sun show up! It’s Fana the Spiteful, and she’s got a large army with her. The Queen notes she didn’t forsee it happening so soon, and then says when deviations from her foresight occur they tend to come with more.Seconds after saying this, she scries something else: the Diamond Kingdom, coming to attack her lands in the Chaos. While the Midnight Sun want the magic stone she possesses, the Diamond Kingdom want to kidnap the Queen in the chaos. Again, as bad as Clover is, it’s still somehow better than any other group so far.
2. Noelle is officially MVP of the group for this arc. Because they’re both idiots, Vanessa and Asta wind up in an argument where Vanessa reveals her awful plan to learn curse healing magic and escape the Queen…in front of the Queen. This leaves Noelle steps up to stop things from going completely sideways.
Instead of battling the Queen, she simply points out how beneficial it’d be to her to have people she doesn’t know or care about fighting to save her forest. Healing Asta’s in her best interests because Asta will try to help, and his friends will gladly follow him into battle. The group congratulates her on her achievement and she writes it off with nonchalance while inwardly panicking the way most of us do after doing public speaking. Even when she’s not fighting, Noelle’s growing by leaps and bounds, and could easily slot into being the lead of the Black Bulls somewhere down the line after Yami quits.
3. It still feels like the Queen is going to wind up being the arc villain. She heals Asta’s arms because Noelle used “Reasoning” and it was super-effective, but that’s only to get his abilities working. It seems more like she’s willing to use the same strategy as Diamond Kingdom: rely on the two forces to weaken Vanessa and Asta, then take them both in one fell swoop. Which is kind of genius, really. She agreed to accept their help, but no one said she had to be grateful about it.
4. The Queen heals Asta’s arms with such ease it’s barely even worth the time everyone spent agonizing over it. If she could do it this easily, someone should really contact Kahono and Kiato, their friends in the Seabed Temple. If the Queen can heal a supposedly unhealable curse and restore wrecked arms, she should also be able to heal a sliced throat and ruined leg, especially since she strengthened Asta’s arms in the process.
In any case, the Black Bulls and Fanzell’s group split up to take on different groups. Asta easily takes out most of the Midnight Sun’s numbers, and uses Vanessa’s threads to propel him in the air, combined with his physical conditioning to hop from mage to mage, knocking them out until he gets to the leader. The leader’s a total creep who wants to sell the witches for slavery…except keeping the pretty ones for himself, so it’s pretty satisfying to see him get knocked unconscious. Would’ve been more satisfying to have Fana incinerate him, but she doesn’t seem…sane. Instead, with many of her number down, she focuses on Asta and the Black Bulls instead, intent on getting revenge for the death of her comrade Vetto.
5. Next Episode: The battle against Fana the Spiteful finally starts in earnest. But being honest I’m actually much more interested in what Fanzell and his group are getting up to. After all, he’s coming face to face with Mars, the end result of the training program he escaped Diamond Kingdom to avoid. How well is that going to go?
Black Clover is available for streaming on Funimation.