British broadsheet, The Guardian does a mean sideline in Masterclasses with some of the best and brightest talents from various fields offering themselves up as tutors. The most recent Masterclass I came upon which may very well interest any UK residents (or wealthy travellers from abroad) is one to be hosted by Kieron Gillen, next February 5th, 2020.
Priced at a hefty, eye-watering £49 this event promises to be a combination of “anecdotes, practical takeaways and a breaking down of individual stories and pages (plus Q&A)” with Gillen offering advice to budding workers and, I dare say, the odd professional creator, too.
Here’s the course content:
- What a comic script is, what it isn’t and how to make yours yours without making an artist want to kill you.
- How the industry works and doesn’t work. Demystification and warnings.
- The whole Process – building your idea, your team and the book to show the world.
- How do you work with artists, editors, inkers, colourists and everyone else. What works? What’s ethical? What’s both?
- Narrative structure, at every level – the panel, the page, the issue, the series.
And, you can read more about this unique event and book your place, here now.