The 7th of September is 2000AD’s celebration of all things Dredd as comic stores across the land celebrate The Day of Dredd. Its also the week that Rob Williams and Henry Flint’s espionage sci-fi thriller, Judge Dredd: The Small House, coming out, on Thursday September 5th, ahead of the big day.
Here’s all the events that are going on, but there is one event in there that I have something more than a little to do with organising, and that’s the High Vis Fest, happening across the Custard Factory and, we hope, offering something a bit special to the day. A graffiti and street art one day festival that will not only celebrate the Day of Dredd with guest artist Phil Winslade (Lawless) amongst others, but sees several of our street artists take up the challenging of painting something Dredd inspired. Although, with NICE on that weekend as well as other impressive signings – and a second signing here in Birmingham too, at Worlds Apart – there’s plenty to choose from, whatever part of the country you come from.
- Colin MacNeil signing at Forbidden Planet in Newcastle
- Patrick Goddard and TC Eglington signing at Forbidden Planet in Bristol
- Ian Edginton and Steve Yeowell signing at Worlds Apart in Birmingham
- A morning comics workshop for kids with Ned Hartley at Gosh! Comics in London
- A mega-signing at Gosh! Comics in London (from 1pm) with Mick McMahon, John Higgins, Dan Abnett, Arthur Ranson, and Sally Jane Hurst
- Evening talk with writer Rob Williams at Gosh! Comics in London
- Eoin Coveney and PJ Holden signing at Big Bang Comics, Dublin
- Andy Diggle, Nick Brokenshire and Abigail Ryder signing at Travelling Man Manchester, plus a chin-gurning competition!
- Staz Johnson signing at Travelling Man in Leeds
- Anthony Williams signing at Tate’s Comics in Florida, USA
- Alex De Campi and Simon Fraser signing at Anyone Comics, Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Laurence Campbell and Conor Boyle will be at Dredd Live Art Jam at Orbital Comics & Gallery in London with a galaxy of indie art stars
- Phil Winslade will be a main guest at High Vis Street Culture Festival in Birmingham
- The Assembly House in Leeds will be staging a live art jam and Judge Dredd tribute art exhibition by the stars of the Leeds independent art scene
- INJ Culbard, Ben Oliver, Alan Davis, Ryan Brown, Simon Bisley, Dylan Teague, David Hine, Pete Doherty, Mark Farmer will be appearing at the NICE convention in Bedford.
Wherever you go, do mark the day, but don’t get too out of hand. After all, Dredd is the law!