The Settlers franchise has lasted over 25 years providing a classic “build-up” real time strategy video game. At this year’s Gamescom, Ubisoft announced the next installment will be arriving on PC in 2020 and the developer revealed what fans can expect from the upcoming game.
Volker Wertich, the original creator of the series, shared that the latest version will bring back the best modernized elements from earlier titles and combine them with some innovative features and gameplay systems. The game can be played either against the computer or another player in three modes including Campaign, Skirmish and multiplayer.
Some of the new features are different methods to victory. They are:
- The Combat strategy: Players would control full armies of different units, taking on and defeating enemy armies to take over or defend their territory. Special units such as army leaders can have a positive effect on their troops.
- The Glory strategy: Players would select a hero character who will fight in the arena against the enemy. Once a player initiates a battle, spectators representing both sides will gather at the arena to watch the battle. Winning a fight can lead to dissatisfaction among the defeated party. This however can lead to revolts, allowing the player to take over the enemy territory.
- The Faith strategy: the third winning strategy will allow players to inspire Faith amongst Settlers and will be detailed at a later date.
In addition, there will be several different editions of The Settlers released. You can find them below and what is included with each.
- The Settlers® Standard Edition includes the base game. Players will sail towards the unknown, explore, conquer, and settle new islands in a brand new medieval fantasy world. Players can enjoy their experience playing solo or with friends with the new online multiplayer mode offering thrilling skirmishes for long-lasting fun.
- The Settlers® Gold Edition allows players access to the game three days earlier, the Expansion One “Monuments & Merchants” and two decoration items, the Gazebo of Tranquility and the Wishing Well.
- The Settlers® Entdecker Edition, a unique physical pack only available in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Poland, will offer to lucky owners the following assets in addition to the base game:
- One in-game decoration item: Gazebo of Tranquility
- Three Lithographs illustrating Settlers heroes’ adventures,
- Original selected soundtrack
- The Settlers® Collector’s Edition available in Germany, Switzerland and Austria offers the most complete experience with access to the game three days earlier, Expansion One, physical items and more:
- A Numbered Collector’s Box (5,000 copies)
- One Artbook with stunning artworks
- Two in-game decoration items: the Gazebo of Tranquility and the Wishing Well
- Three Lithographs
- One letter from Volker Wertich, the original creator
- Flower Seeds
- Original selected soundtrack
If you pre-order the game now, you can receive an exclusive decorative Statue of the First Settlers, which can be placed in any of your settlements. For more information on reserving your copy, please go to the Ubisoft Store. For all the latest updates about the title and to participate in its development, check out The Settlers Alliance, the community webpage.