Courtesy of Gematsu, we’ve learned that Square-Enix is working on a new unannounced IP that’s strictly for next-gen consoles. The game is supposedly being worked on by a team of international creators around the world. Now, this would normally fall under the “obviously” banner of things, but a few things stand out.
One, it’s specifically noting Square Enix’s “First Development Division”, meaning this presumably isn’t just them stealthily discussing how they’re working on Guardians of the Galaxy with Eidos Montreal.
This also isn’t the project that’s being worked on by Luminous Production either, but rather something else entirely new. If we had to guess, it would have something to do with the fact that Square hired Yuji Naka, one of the creators of Sonic the Hedgehog, and we know he’s working on a new action game. Whatever it is, it sounds like Square is taking it very seriously.
At this point, it’s worth discussing some of the games Square-Enix is supposedly working on:
– We know Luminous Productions is still developing a new next-gen game, even in the aftermath of Hajime Tabata‘s departure.
– The former Business Division 5 is rumored to be working on the next Final Fantasy, with Final Fantasy XIV head Naoki Yoshida and some staff from Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood. We’ve even seen concept art from it, and have confirmation they’ve moved out of pre-production and into full development.
– There’s Babylon’s Fall, a project with Platinum Games, but it’s anyone’s guess what happened to this game if it hasn’t turned into a next-gen project.
– Supposedly a new Nier is in the works.
– And finally, as recently as late last year the plan was to create a game from the people responsible for Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default every year. Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent was released for iOS/Android this year.
It appears for Square fans, things have come up well as the company is constantly busy these days.