Topic Options
#595708 - 02/04/12 02:14 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Originally Posted By: Lawson
Enjoy WATCHMEN 2.

I'll read it so you don't have to.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#595709 - 02/04/12 02:25 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Heh.

#595710 - 02/04/12 03:04 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Lawson]
Gerald Offline

Originally Posted By: Lawson
[quote=Gerald]Grant Morrison...Geoff Johns...

I agree with your post. I have ZERO interest in Sandman/Death related stories that aren't written by Gaiman.

, but IMO, Grant Morrison may not have created any new characters that sold Watchmen numbers or got movies made out of them, but I think he's created equally impressive characters and stories. Flex Mentallo, We3, and The Invisibles.

And despite my dislike for most of Geoff Johns writing, he's created alot of new characters in Green Lantern. Again, not on the level of Moore or Gaiman, but the market is much smaller now then it was back then.

#595714 - 02/04/12 05:16 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Strenuous Teddy]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Originally Posted By: Strenuous Teddy
http://watchmen2creatordarwyncooke.tumblr.com/

Nice find, Teddy. The hypocrisy on display there is pretty painful.

You know, I kinda wonder just how much DC is paying Cooke for this. Is he getting enough to buy his own yacht? Or is he just going to be able to make his boat payments for a few months?

Not that it really matters, I mean what's wrong is wrong. And it does seem like Cooke just plain enjoys playing with established characters, so he probably wouldn't charge extra for this project.

It's just, like, when you hear about some public official who gets busted for corruption, it's somehow more depressing if they were just stealing quarters from the parking meters, rather than bilking the government retirement fund out of millions. I mean, yeah, the worse crimes are more damaging, but if you're going to throw away your integrity, make the temptation actually tempting, rather than some penny-ante garbage. If you're willing to throw away your reputation for practically nothing, then you must not have valued it very highly in the first place.

And no, I don't think making a spin-off comic is as bad as government fraud. Just making another poorly-thought-out analogy, I guess, talking off the top of my head.

#595715 - 02/04/12 05:59 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Peter Urkowitz]
Gerald Offline

Reading about Watchmen 2 makes me want to read Maus for some reason.

#595717 - 02/04/12 10:25 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
Originally Posted By: Gerald
Reading about Watchmen 2 makes me want to read Maus for some reason.

Because you want to refresh the memories as you anticipate the sequel; Maus 2: The Squeakuel. By Geoff Johns and Jim Lee?

#595718 - 02/04/12 11:07 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Gerald]
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Regarding Adam Hughes and his long-delayed ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN series, The Beat recently linked to one of their old articles about it, from August 2006:

Adam Hughes on Scheduling

which quoted him as saying,

Quote:
My commitment to ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN is for 6 issues. My schedule is to hand in 10 pages, pencilled and inked, a month. The issues will be released monthly, on-time, because we’re starting far enough in advance. You will get your ALL-STAR WONDER WOMAN every four weeks.

If he had followed that schedule, he would have finished well over 600 pages by now, so presumably other things have gotten in the way. Man, I had forgotten just how long it has been! And I am really not trying to knock Adam Hughes here, although I know it sounds like it. I was willing to wait for many years for this series if it took that long. Or if he had decided to drop the project, I would be okay with that too, although if he ever made that announcement I missed it.

Hmm, maybe I'd better Google it before I make that statement? Let's see here . . . well, how about that! From just last week:

CBR Interview with Adam Hughes about the fate of ASWW

Quote:
I think we'd all like me to get to it eventually. DC has said as much. I would very much like to get it out someday. It'll be my 'lost project' for a while, and then someday it'll come out.

So it was medical issues with his wife, and needing the faster income of doing covers, that got in the way, basically. Which I have no problem with at all. Bless him and his family, and never mind the WW book, we can all live without it.

But how doing this new Watchmen book fits into this, that is still kind of a puzzle.

#595721 - 02/05/12 12:43 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
WATCHMEN was basically an "Elseworlds" story of the Charlton characters

Except it wasn't.

#595722 - 02/05/12 12:44 AM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Ted Kilvington]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: Ted Kilvington
I'll read it so you don't have to.

I'll read it, too. I just won't pay any money to do so.

#595727 - 02/05/12 03:41 PM Re: DC Announces Watchmen Prequel(s) [Re: Allen Montgomery]
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada

From Letsbefriendsagain.com:

The smartest thing DC’s done with these Watchmen prequels is put some quality talent on them. JMS, Azzarello, Darywyn Cooke, Kuberts – this definitely isn’t the new 52 featuring a “Where are they now” murderer’s row of 90&#8242;s talent.

It’s funny, every interview you read with the people on these books is weirdly defensive. They give reasons for why this is okay, reasons why Moore shouldn’t be mad, reasons why this is a good idea – and the thing is, the product will show all that if it’s good. Don’t tell us Moore shouldn’t be upset about this, don’t try to take some moral high ground. Just do a good job on it and shut the fuck up. None of you had a burning desire to tell a new Night Owl story. This isn’t some kind of passion project you’ve wanted to do for years.

You are talented and DC recognizes that and is giving you a lot of money to work on a very controversial project. Just say that, do your best work and shut up about it.

-cof

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley