Page 42 of 42 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42
Topic Options
#10100 - 12/30/04 04:24 AM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Atomik Pop:

His columns about THE INCREDIBLES and SPIDER-MAN were not reviews, but discussed other (related) issues. (Note: I don't necessarily agree with Byrne, but I don't believe he should be tarred and feathered for expressing unpopular opinions.)

His comments on SPIDER-MAN are of this sort:
"I refuse to see the SPIDER-MAN movie because organic web-shooters change the character of Spider-Man"

and
"All of the best parts of the Spider-Man movie were in the trailer"

Those are certainly uninformed comments, and could be construed as 'bad reviews'

#10101 - 02/19/08 04:06 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Channeling Boris Offline

Loc: My own little world
Bumped to give Paul something to do.

Okay, I'm done with the stupidity.

#10102 - 02/19/08 08:04 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
I wish I had that much time to spend on the 'Net. I'm SO jealous!

#10103 - 02/21/08 04:02 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.:
I wish I had that much time to spend on the 'Net. I'm SO jealous!
It turns out it doesn't take that much time.

#10104 - 02/21/08 07:06 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Joe Lee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyatt:
His comments on SPIDER-MAN are of this sort:
"I refuse to see the SPIDER-MAN movie because organic web-shooters change the character of Spider-Man"

and
"All of the best parts of the Spider-Man movie were in the trailer"

Those are certainly uninformed comments, and could be construed as 'bad reviews'
But how could he say the best parts were in the trailer if he hadn't seen the movie? I don't understand.

And organic web shooters didn't change anything, it was just movie making shorthand. Plus it lead to some funny scenes. Like in Excalibur when Uther Pendragon physically puts the sword in the stone. Not quite according to legend, but easily forgiven because damn if that wasn't a powerful movie moment.

#10105 - 02/21/08 09:51 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
That's one of JB's opinions that I disagree with (GASP!).

Sure the character was "changed"...this was the movie version.

The "real" Spider-Man (for the most part) can still be found being published by Marvel.

#10106 - 02/21/08 10:12 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Joe Lee Offline

Quote:

The "real" Spider-Man (for the most part) can still be found being published by Marvel.
That's not the REAL Spider-Man anymore either. One More Day, made sure of that. Hell, they've been trying to get rid of the original Spidey for years, first with the Clone saga.

Besides none of the tv or movie Spider-Men have been tremendously accurate. I take more issue with how they portrayed Peter, Gwen, MJ, and Harry in the movies, more than the organic web-shooter thing. So he grows up with MJ and never has the "jackpot" scene, and he doesn't fall in love with Gwen first who never dies? It's like when Disney wrote a happy ending to The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Still it could be worse. Look at all those Tarzan movies that portray everything completely wrong, and never even try to tell the actual stories.

#10107 - 02/23/08 10:32 PM Re: [Hype] New John Byrne Column @ UGO: "Those Wacky Superheroes"
Emperor of the Gutters Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Lee:
Quote:

That's not the REAL Spider-Man anymore either. One More Day, made sure of that. Hell, they've been trying to get rid of the original Spidey for years, first with the Clone saga.

Besides none of the tv or movie Spider-Men have been tremendously accurate. I take more issue with how they portrayed Peter, Gwen, MJ, and Harry in the movies, more than the organic web-shooter thing. So he grows up with MJ and never has the "jackpot" scene, and he doesn't fall in love with Gwen first who never dies? It's like when Disney wrote a happy ending to The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I don't think any of the cartoons, TV shows, or movies used Gwen Stacy until Spider-Man 3, did they?

Featuring 292 pages of great art and socko gags from ART SPIEGELMAN, KIM DEITCH, SKIP WILLIAMSON, HARRY S. ROBINS, TONY MILLIONAIRE, CAROL LAY, KAZ, JOHNNY RYAN, MICHAEL KUPPERMAN, SAM HENDERSON, and seventy other top talents! Now available for purchase on the web, all for the low, low price of $18.95!

http://www.dannyhellman.com/legalaction2.htm

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!

Page 42 of 42 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley