Page 1 of 218 1 2 3 ... 217 218 >
Topic Options
#101431 - 01/15/03 04:30 PM ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Frank Carrera Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx
I would have put this on the old wrestling thread we had going, but I'm too lazy to hunt it down.

Thoughts on last nites 10th Anniversary

Top 10 Greatest RAW moments

#10 "Rock this is your life" segment
#9 Austin running over Rock's car with his monster truck.
#8 WWF buys WCW. Shane McMahon on Nitro.
#7 Austin attacks McMahon at the hospital.
#6 DX makes fun of the Nation of Domination.
#5 Iron Mike Tyson/Steve Austin confrontation.
#4 DX tries to invade WCW.
#3 Rock chanllenges Hulk Hogan
#2 Owen Hart Tribute.
#1 Steve Austin attacks Vince, Shane & Rock with the beer truck.

I personally voted for the Nitro/Raw merger. For the first time in history both shows were showing at the same time on 2 channels and it marked the end of an era in the Monday Nite Wars. I can agree with #2, but the Steve Austin/beer truck was about 3-6 on my list.

AWARDS

Diva of the decade: Trish Stratus

Should have been Chyna. 1st Female IC Champ. 1st Woman in the Royal Rumble. She gave more credibility to Woman Wrestlers than anybody else.

Tell me I did not just see that award: 3 faces of Foley but he wasn't there to accept the award.

That was cool.

Don't try this at home: Kurt Angle

RVD hands down

Give me the mic: The Rock

Woah, that got a little long winded. I'll say it again. When the Rock comes back, it NEEDS to be as a heel.

Shut up and kiss me: Triple H and Stephanie McMahon

I can dig that.

Network difficulties: Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

Yeah, that was pretty nasty.
edit that:
I forgot that the Pillman/Gun thing was also in that category. That was the one that should have won.

RAW superstar of the decade: Steve Austin

It sucked that he wasn't there to accept. But he carried Raw to a new level during the McMahon/Austin feud. So I'm cool with that.

RAW match of the decade: TLC 2002

I don't know if any of those matches were really "MATCH OF THE DECADE". I don't know what to think about that award. But TLC 2002 was a good one. I just can't help but think there have better matches. One that comes to mind was a Guerrero/RVD ladder match a while back.
Or the match HHH bust his knee, showing the greatest tenacity of all Raw matches. (Please don't take that as a suck ass comment. I'm really getting tired of HHH, but I gotta give props where props are due...)

#101432 - 01/15/03 10:48 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Rusty Cage Offline

#2 Owen Hart Tribute.

I voted for Mick Foley winning his first world title which didn't even make the list. I just loved it being a big fan of Mick's along with the drama of a guy who struggled for a long time finally reaching the top. It was one of those rare genuine moments in pro wrestling. Mick wasn't your classic wrestler in terms of style and certainly not in terms of look but that night a guy who just worked his ass off in every way possible got the big prize. Great stuff

Vince buying WCW was an incredible moment as far as something you never thought you'd ever see. Still, I didn't enjoy it because the "Monday Night Wars" was one of the best parts about wrestling and they were officially over. Of course they were over anyway with WCW becoming so pathetic but it was still sad.

AWARDS

I agree Chyna should have won for all the reasons you said plus she had the biggest selling Playboy ever. Trish was the political choice with the other women having left (not on good terms in the case of Sable) and with Lita on the shelf. Chyna, Sable and even Sunny had more impact and drew more money than Trish has or probably ever will

Tell me I did not just see that award: 3 faces of Foley but he wasn't there to accept the award.

Great choice and a hilarious segment. I loved all three of those characters. I always wished we got to see more of the Dude. I guess Mick isn't on good terms with the McMahons as I was suprised he didn't show.

I don't remember everybody in this category but Kurt's Moonsault was pretty insane. I might have picked Eddie Guerrero's Powerbomb off the top of a ladder on RVD. Both guys were insane to try that.

Give me the mic: The Rock

Rock did deserve this but ironically he struggled last night. He did go way too long. They will be INSANE not to turn Rock heel when he gets back and he'll be awesome in the role

Shut up and kiss me: Triple H and Stephanie McMahon

My sentimental choice was Mae Young & Sexual Chocolate. That was some hilarious shit

Network difficulties: Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

I would have gone with the Pillman/gun angle too. Man did Melanie Pillman have an unbelievable rack!

RAW superstar of the decade: Steve Austin

Austin was the only choice. I do like and respect the other guys but no single performer was more responsible for Raw's or WWE's success than Austin. The company was in trouble and he not only saved it but brought it to it's greatest heights ever

RAW match of the decade: TLC 2002

"I don't know if any of those matches were really "MATCH OF THE DECADE". I don't know what to think about that award. But TLC 2002 was a good one. I just can't help but think there have better matches. One that comes to mind was a Guerrero/RVD ladder match a while back.
Or the match HHH bust his knee, showing the greatest tenacity of all Raw matches. (Please don't take that as a suck ass comment. I'm really getting tired of HHH, but I gotta give props where props are due...)"

I don't have to write anything here because your thoughts totally mirror mine, Frank

#101433 - 01/16/03 05:24 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Glen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Carrera:
Thoughts on last nites 10th Anniversary
First off the following editorial is not meant to offend anyone, so please do not take anything I write to heart. I have pretty much given up on the WWF. I Tivo'd the special & saw it last night & have to say it was the most half-assed, pathetic, lazy, excuse for a show I have ever seen the WWF put on. Vince should utterly be ashamed of himself & just just put the gun in his mouth & pull the trigger so the fans can see a decent wrestling program again & he can finally get the attention from the press that he really wants.

Quote:

#2 Owen Hart Tribute.

Now I'm sure anyone who actually reads what I bother to write knows I'm a die-hard WCW fan & LOATHE Vince McMcmahon. That said, the greatest RAW moment is not even DEBATABLE in my mind, & anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about. It was when WWF buys WCW. As a WCW fan, aside from Hogan going bad, there has never been anything more shocking then when Shane walked out onto the Nitro ring. And thus, it marked the downfall of the WWF empire & what may ultimately be one of, if not, THE biggest turning point in the history of wrestling & Vince's BIGGEST F-up as he should have let Shane run WCW & kept both programs on the air. And if that happened I would also have glorius ECW to still watch on Saturdays at 2 a.m.

Quote:
AWARDS

Should have been Chyna. 1st Female IC Champ. 1st Woman in the Royal Rumble. She gave more credibility to Woman Wrestlers than anybody else.

No, it should not have been Trish, WHAT F'n impact has she had WHATSOEVER, she has only been around for 2 years!!! And it CERTAINLY should not have been China, she is a MAN. Why is she even considered a female & what credibility did she bring to female wresling b/c WHO THE F CARES ABOUT FEMALE WRESTLING. When will Vince who is the biggest closet HOMO that ever lived realize no one cares about female wrestling. Keep the woman as valet's, to get over a new wrestler, & have them get naked. Look at the damn crowd every time a women's match comes on. NO ONE CARES, & explain to me why 90% of the wrestling audience is men, yet men wrestling in nothing but underwear & I've seen HHH ASS twice in the past 3 days, yet Trish where's a full layered body suit every time she get's in the ring.

Quote:

This award is stupid, who cares.

Quote:

Angle HAS to get some kind of recognition, he is the single greatest wrestler to ever enter the ring. But if these awards were real it should go to Shane. The only McMcmahon that should be on TV, he has openly said he doesn't want to be on TV or wrestle, he just did those INSANE dives to prove to himself he could & maybe get some respect from a few wrestlers he admires.

This quoting is taking to long so here is the rest. . .

- The Rock is so out of touch w/ reality it's just pathetic to watch. He was clearly trying to come up w/ new catch sayings, & they just made me cring. The booing means nothing, it is already set in stone he is coming back as a heel. But the chanting of boring is great, if a heel get's boos that is the point, but boring chants means that people are changing the channel.

-I find it so sad that Vince is already setting up the return of Austen. He will only cause more problems & when he comes back RAW will be 80% Austen. The only thing that will bring ratings up is new talent & new ideas. Nothing else. And although Steiner is my all-time favorite wrestler, like I predicted Vince has almost ruined him.

-I've been asking for the WWF to sign Nathan Jones &/or Maurius Puszanowski for almost 2 years, & they finally signed one of them & it looks like they are even giving him a cool gimmick. So when Jones' makes his debut I'll start watching again.

- The only thing entertaing the entire show was how disgusted Shane looked during most of it. When Moolah or whoever the old lady was got on stage they camera I think accidentally caught Shane puting his hand over his eyes & then head down on the table in disgust that Vince was letting her get air time.

- Also a personal anecdote, write in the beggining in the diva montage for Sunny they show her at the Garden & I am in the Front row with my friends very clearly & extremely drunk. I found it sad that I got more screen time in the Raw 10th anniversary show than Hulk Hogan did :rolleyes:

#101434 - 01/17/03 09:38 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Firelord Offline

I can't believe this wasn't even nominated seeing as how it is my favorite Raw moment of all time.

The Raw where Undertaker tried to bury and the embalm Austin. That was the Raw that made me love wrestling again.

- Ted DiBiase

#101435 - 01/18/03 01:29 AM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Dan20 Offline

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
The Owen Hart tribute show should have either been automatically #1, or not even in contention.
It seems pretty disrespectful to have it on a ballot in the first place as "best RAW moment", and then have it lose to a guy spraying beer in the ring.

#101436 - 01/18/03 10:41 AM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Rusty Cage Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan20:
The Owen Hart tribute show should have either been automatically #1, or not even in contention.
It seems pretty disrespectful to have it on a ballot in the first place as "best RAW moment", and then have it lose to a guy spraying beer in the ring.

Great point. They should have just given the Owen Tribute it's own segment (they easily could have with all the nonsense on the show) but having it lose out to a wrestling angle was a disgrace.

#101437 - 01/18/03 01:39 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Frank Carrera Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx
ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH
(My picks)

15 RAW superstars & 15 SmackDown superstars

15 RAW Participants (in no particular order):
1. Shawn Michaels (entering at #1)
2. Chris Jericho (entering at #2)
3. Jeff Hardy
4. Tommy Dreamer
5. Rosey
6. Jamal
7. Batista
8. Christian
9. Kane
10. Chris Nowinski
11. Maven
12. Booker T
13. Goldust
14. Rob Van Dam
15. Test

15 SmackDown Participants (in no particular order):
1. Winner of the match between Brock Lensar & Big Show
2. Chavo Guerrero
3. Rey Mysterio
4. Rikishi
5. Tajiri
6. Matt Hardy
7. Edge
8. Charlie Haas
9. Shelton Benjamin
10. John Cena
11. Bill DeMott
12. A-Train
13. B2
14. Eddie Guerrero
15. ??? (Rumored as The Undertaker but not final yet)

Jericho, HBK and Lesnar last three with Lesnar tossing out both Jericho and HBK at the same time

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Triple H (c) vs. Scott Steiner

I feel a let down and HHH will remain champ

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Kurt Angle (c) vs. Chris Benoit

Benoit

WINNER ENTERS ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH

Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show

The first pick kinda answers this doesn't it?

WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

William Regal & Lance Storm (c's) vs. Dudley Boyz

Dudleys

STEPDAUGHTER VS. STEPMOTHER MATCH

Torrie Wilson vs. Dawn Marie

Could this BE any dumber? This whole storyline has been stupid. But DAMN both these womens are FINE!

Plus, the return of The Undertaker!

I think he's going to be the reason Big Show loses to Lesnar in revenge for tossing his old ass off the stage. Thereby, starting up the feud between them again.

#101438 - 01/18/03 08:59 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Dan20 Offline

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
*I'm praying Lesnar doesn't win the Rumble. Yes, I know Lesnar/Angle is pretty much a lock for Wrestlemania, and that's great. But the Rumble has been much too predictable in recent years. Let Lesnar win the spot another way, and have someone surprising win the Rumble (i.e., Booker, RVD or Jericho).
*I long for the day when Chris Benoit will be champ, but I don't see it happening here. Should be an awesome match.
*The Torrie/Dawn match, on the other hand, should be pretty awful. Am I the only one who expects Al to come back from the dead? God, this angle has gotten dumb.
*I suppose Hunter will go over Steiner. Yawn...

I really don't know whether to order this. I'd love to see Benoit/Angle and the Battle Royal (though I'll be let down if the obvious happens and Lesnar wins). But there isn't too much else at this PPV that seems worth paying for.

#101439 - 01/18/03 09:34 PM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Brent Grenier Offline

"It was when WWF buys WCW."

No, it wasn't.

The greatest was the night Mick Foley won the WWF Championship on RAW. DX came out and hefted him on their shoulders and paraded him around the ring. None of that mattered though.

The reason it was important, and Mick Foley explains this in his book, is because the Nitro guys found out about the plot and said what was going to happen on air!

The bunch of idiots must have forgotten how popular Mick was because a bunch of people changed the channel to see Mick win. THIS started the WCW Nitro downfall because many of those people continued to watch RAW.

#101440 - 01/19/03 10:57 AM Re: ****The OFFICIAL Comicon Totally Off-Topic Wrestling Thread****
Rusty Cage Offline

My predictions/thoughts

Torrie vs Dawn - This storyline has been so whacky I wouldn't be suprised if Al comes back from the "dead" either, Dan20. You would think this nonsense finally ends here and Torrie wins. Still, this storyline has been a success ratings-wise so they'll come up with another way to keep it going. My prediction is Dawn wins with the help of Billy Kidman (Torrie's real life boyfriend) launching a whole new chapter in this storied rivalry :rolleyes: This could actually be a good idea in that Kidman is an excellant wrestler but needs help to get over as a personality. Dawn would really help in this regard. Then Torrie could partner up with somebody (maybe Tajiri again who has good face potential) and actually bring some good wrestling to this feud.
Winner: Dawn Marie

Regal & Storm vs The Dudleys - *YAWN* I love the Dudleys but Regal & Storm do nothing for me. It's too bad that the Raw writers finally came up with a good storyline with Booker & Goldust winning (the "weak link") and they already have ditched it. Hopefully the Dudleys win then get some better opponents. If they're not going to elevate Booker to the main event which seems unfortunatly to be true, I hope they turn the Dudz heel and start a tag feud we can actually care about (Dudleys vs. Booker & Goldust).
Winners: The Dudleys

Brock vs. Big Show - I can't believe they're actually trying to sell a PPV by threataning us with potentially 2 appearances by the Big Show. Fortunatly there's NO chance of this happening. I'm sure the load couldn't handle it physically anyway. Brock wins a short match (all BS is capable of) then moves on. I guess Taker will be in the Rumble so he'll probably get his revenge on Smackdown.
Winner: Lesnar

HHH vs. Steiner - This should be awful. The house show reports are that Steiner looks terrible and HHH still isn't 100% and hasn't worked in a month. Putting the title on Steiner would be a mistake but you can't job him clean in his first match. I'll say Steiner gets a lot of offense but Hunter wins with the sledge hammer. Ric Flair takes the only good bumps in this match. This match will have a "Big Show time limit" because of Steiner unless they waste a lot of time which they probably will *YAWN* Boy I wish HHH would forget about trying to be "Mr. Universe" and go back to being one of the best workers I've ever seen circa: 1999-2001. When I think of the Royal Rumble PPV I think of the classic HHH/Cactus Jack NYC Streetfight. Boy have times changed frown
Winner: HHH

Angle vs. Benoit - This match has to save this show for the undercard. It definitly will as Angle looks pretty good despite the surgery and Benoit is on fire right now. Definitly the 2 best workers in WWE along with Eddie Guerrero. I'd love to see Benoit win but the belt has changed hands too often lately and Angle should keep it until Wrestlemania. I would have liked to see these guys in reverse roles but Vince messed that up with the injection of the Big Show. Benoit still needs a run as a main event heel before becoming a top face. Anyway, it's too late for now.
Winner: Angle

Royal Rumble - I'd love to see a suprise but almost every big star has to win a Rumble and this is Brock's turn. Unfortunaly nobody on the Raw side has been built up enough to win this. No way Jericho goes to another Wrestlemania against HHH. RVD has been pushed so far down his win would have to come out of nowhere. Likewise with Booker T (who should be HHH's top challenger then champion but...). Instead we'll probably get HHH vs. his hasbeen buddy Kevin Nash at Wrestlemania or a rehash of his feud with Austin. Actually Austin is the only other person (aside from Brock) who could win this but I doubt they'll bring him back yet. They could still have Angle/Lesnar at 'Mania if Austin were to win this. Still, unlikely.
Winner: Lesnar

Page 1 of 218 1 2 3 ... 217 218 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley