Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#110199 - 04/04/03 12:51 PM Advice needed guys!
Abjekt Offline

Loc: London
Ok, so there a few titles I have been thinking about buying and I spoke to the guys in my shop about them today but just wanted a few more opinions before I delve into my pocket to stump up the cash for them:

Elektra - Heard some mixed reviews of this, but my shop has almost the whole run from 2-21 so I was thinking about picking it up.

Catwoman - More positive on this one, everyone seems to like it.

Exiles - Was chatting to the shop owner about the latest story arc and it sounded pretty darned good.

Any comments would be appreciated guys!

#110200 - 04/04/03 01:10 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Terminator X Offline

catwoman is good.

elektra...i read the bendis 6 issues and wasnt impressed at all, and then i read the next maybe 3 or 4 issues or so and still wasnt impressed, though i liked them better than the bendis issues, and then i just dropped the book altogether.

ive never read exiles.

#110201 - 04/04/03 01:33 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Pick up Elektra from #10 or 11 on (I can't remember when the arc started exactly), but don't get attached because Rodi is writing the newest arc and (from his interviews about Elektra) is ignoring everything good that Rucka did (and his Codename: Knockout pretty much became boring and repetitive after only 4 or 5 issues).

I read the first arc of Catwoman. It was good, but nothing compelled me to keep reading. I have been thinking about getting a newer trade because of all the rave reviews.

I like Exiles a lot, but the storylines are all the same. We're introduced to a world that has been catastrophically changed and the Exiles have to fix it. I'd love to see some stories of a smaller scope. Overall it's a good read and the characterization is usually solid.

#110202 - 04/04/03 01:38 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Powerhouse Offline

Loc: Holland
Out of those three, I'd say Catwoman.

#110203 - 04/04/03 03:37 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Von Raven Offline

Loc: Bayport, NY, USA
I second the Catwoman vote...a fantastic series!

I just dropped Elecktra...or what is passing for the character these days...cartoonish artwork that is just wrong for this character, and if you were ever familiar with Elektra, you won't find her in this book, that's for sure.

Catwoman (DC)-consistently one of the best books!
Birds of Prey (DC)-revived and unstoppable! Great characterization and action!
Spider-girl (Marvel)--old school comic style! Fun character, easy to love!
JSA (DC)--great old school storytelling and imaginative superhero tales!
Flash (DC)-Johns' having an amazing run (no pun intended)
The Teen Titans (DC)-Great Team book
The Outsiders (DC)-another great team book..great action! Great characters!
Green Arrow(DC)-good, solid character...fun stories!!
SHE-HULK (Marvel)-A SUPRISINGLY GOOD READ!! LOTS OF FUN!!!
Swamp Thing--great horror book...check it out!

#110204 - 04/04/03 06:07 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Glen Offline

Here is my take on those 3 (I'm a retailer for what it's worth, only stating that b/c although I only buy what I like, I read just about every comic that comes out).

Catwoman - Ignore your other 2 choices & focus on getting every single issue of this since the relaunch & ESPECIALLY Selina's Big Score Hardcover, this should be required reading along with Watchmen & the greats for any comic book fan. It's that good. The Catwoman series basically features the most emotionally real, driven & heavy characters in all of comics right now. You will not find more grittier heroes, menacing villains & emotion filled stories in any comic being published. I thinkg the art is beyond amazing also, it has a look unlike any comic today.

Exiles - Personally I hate this book but some people seem to like it. The book has annoying characters(Morph is the single most annoying character I've ever read in a comic in my life) that don't exist in the regular Marvel continuity so why bother to care about them when you know they will not be around once this comic get's cancelled. Plus, the book has What if type story arcs (which some like, I feel it is done to death) that are ALWAYS neatly rapped up every 4 issues if not sooner. The art is decent but bland, you can pick up any of dozens upon dozens of comic & see the exact same thing art wise.

Elektra - I'm a HUGE Daredevil fan, my favorite superhero ever. But I hate Elektra. She has just been milked to death. Does she really warrent her own series. And you know this book will be cancelled. Can you honestly picture Elektra #187 hitting the stands? Rucka has done a decent job of attempting to give the character some direction & purpose. But even he hasn't pulled it off successfuly. Get Queen & country a comic about the British Secret Service if you want to see the GENIUS Rucka is capable of & get Catwoman if you want what a female based comic book should be.

#110205 - 04/04/03 06:39 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Abjekt Offline

Thanks guys.

Forbushman, just out of interest, seeing as you have given me the most detailed analyses...I don't know a great deal about Catwoman, as in the character. I know she is a character from Batman, but I am not really clued in on the origins, and certainly don't know any past storylines before this current title. Will that make a difference?

#110206 - 04/04/03 08:11 PM Re: Advice needed guys!
Glen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Abjekt:
Thanks guys.

Forbushman, just out of interest, seeing as you have given me the most detailed analyses...I don't know a great deal about Catwoman, as in the character. I know she is a character from Batman, but I am not really clued in on the origins, and certainly don't know any past storylines before this current title. Will that make a difference?

I can 100% GAURANTY that it will not make a difference, if anything it will help. Because I know nothing about the character either, the only origin I know is what I saw of Michelle Pheifer in Batman returns. I never read one issue before the relaunch. In fact I'm not even a Batman fan. I always thought Catwoman was a pretty corny character. Now it's my favorite comic book being published. So it's proof that trying new things pays off sometimes.

glen.

#110207 - 04/05/03 04:57 AM Re: Advice needed guys!
Abjekt Offline

Excellent. Thank you my friend, you've just convinced me! laugh

#110208 - 04/07/03 09:26 AM Re: Advice needed guys!
Von Raven Offline

Loc: Bayport, NY, USA
Just a quick background synopsis on Catwoman, to get you primed for the series:

Catwoman, aka Selina Kyle was a prostitute and was very protective, in a maternal way, of a younger prostitute, named Holly. Selina was inspired by the appearance of the Batman and became one of the worlds' greatest cat-burglars.

She has since straightened out her life and gone straight...well...as straight as possible for Catwoman.

She has chosen a particularly bad area of Gothman to guard over, especially the prostitutes, whom the GCPD very rarely does much to investigate crimes perpetrated against said prostitutes.

Her friends:

Holly, that young prostitute Selina always watched over. She is now Catwoman's eyes on the street.

Slam Bradley, a tough, two-fisted, private investigator.

oh, and most people who knew Selina Kyle believes she is dead.

Catwoman (DC)-consistently one of the best books!
Birds of Prey (DC)-revived and unstoppable! Great characterization and action!
Spider-girl (Marvel)--old school comic style! Fun character, easy to love!
JSA (DC)--great old school storytelling and imaginative superhero tales!
Flash (DC)-Johns' having an amazing run (no pun intended)
The Teen Titans (DC)-Great Team book
The Outsiders (DC)-another great team book..great action! Great characters!
Green Arrow(DC)-good, solid character...fun stories!!
SHE-HULK (Marvel)-A SUPRISINGLY GOOD READ!! LOTS OF FUN!!!
Swamp Thing--great horror book...check it out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley