Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#115280 - 05/22/03 05:02 PM The Death of Automatic Kafka
Aestus Offline

I don't remember anyone consulting me if it would be acceptable for this book to be cancelled...

Despite the lack of sales, and non-commercial viability of this title, I really liked it, and it spoke to me on many levels. The writing was inspired, the artwork appropriate and sufficiently wacky at times.

This book was ambitious, playful, vague, sexy, and pretentious - just like me! - and more deserving of a longer shelf life. (Someday, we'll all look back and get it...)

Why is it that all the cool shit I like ends up getting cancelled anyway? frown

#115281 - 05/22/03 07:48 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
Because it sucks.

#115282 - 05/22/03 07:54 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Trap Offline

I wonder the same about Doom Patrol and Thunderbolts.

#115283 - 05/22/03 08:03 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Zeekade Zarathos Offline

Loc: Chicago
Quote:
Originally posted by steel: A Long Departed Hero:
Because it sucks.

Agreed.

The art was like Bill Sienkiewicz's if had been severely hit in the head, lost the use of his drawing hand and had been able to recover about a third of his story telling ability. It was interesting enough, but the art is not my main beef with the title. The writing was.

It made virtually no sense. In the tragically hip "Why's and Why not's" section at the back of Issue #1 (I don't know if they continued this stupid trend of trying to deflect criticism by making it seem like the people who don't like just don't get it), there is the perfect summary of this book in "Why you shouldn't read this":

Quote:
Add an obtuse script and twenty-two pages of murky, obscure artwork and you've got a recipe for disaster. And let's not forget The Million Dollar Detail... complete nonsense

Exactly.

#115284 - 05/22/03 08:04 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
onemoment Offline

Quote:
Because it sucks.

Excuse me, but if you're going to live up to your rep as a comicon.com poster, don't you mean "sUx"?

Read Wildcats 3.0

#115285 - 05/22/03 08:19 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Aestus Offline

Why do you guys find it necessary that a comic book, or a narrative, or a story, or a movie for that matter, MUST hold your hand and explain everything to you, consoling you in your times of need, and giving you a shoulder to cry on during the scary parts that makes you look within, where your mind just doesn't want to travel to?

Don't you find mystery, metaphor and interpretation just as fascinating a concept?

Life is not always pretty, is not necessarily linear, nor does it always make sense. It just is.

It's people like you that made American Idol such a BIG DEAL.

#115286 - 05/22/03 08:33 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
stlfan79 Offline

Loc: collegeville central
Quote:
Because it sucks.

No you suck.

If you don't like it why even come to the thread. I know why because your a turd with nothing better to do. Why don't you go to the bathroom and jerk your crank and pray mommy and daddy don't walk in.

Now that that's over, I miss the book also. It seems a lot of books I like of late are getting axed (doom patrol, kafka, thunderbolts). Guess I have different tastes than most people.
3 Rex Mundi
4 Walking Dead
5 Invincible
6 Majestic
7 Punisher
8 Goon
9 Fables
10 Y
11 Shaolin Cowboy
12 Fell
13 Desolation Jones
14 Doc Frankenstein
15 Ex Machina
If Hellboy was monthly it would be #1

#115287 - 05/22/03 08:33 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Frank Carrera Offline

Loc: Houston, Tx
Quote:
Originally posted by Aestus:
It's people like you that made American Idol such a BIG DEAL.

My wife made me watch that show...

btw,
did you ever read Hepcats like I told you to?! mad

#115288 - 05/22/03 08:43 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Trap Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by stlfan79:

No you suck.

If you don't like it why even come to the thread. I know why because your a turd with nothing better to do. Why don't you go to the bathroom and jerk your crank and pray mommy and daddy don't walk in.

Now that that's over, I miss the book also. It seems a lot of books I like of late are getting axed (doom patrol, kafka, thunderbolts). Guess I have different tastes than most people.

BRAVO!! BRAVO!!

#115289 - 05/22/03 09:06 PM Re: The Death of Automatic Kafka
Aestus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:

My wife made me watch that show...

Sure she did. You know you liked it. Personally, I can't believe either one of those two guys advanced to the freakin' finals. I'm totally disappointed in America.

Quote:

btw,
did you ever read Hepcats like I told you to?! mad

NO! Damn... They're in my "to-read" pile, I promise... along with the scattered issues of Doom Patrol I've managed to acquire after reading everyone here's recommendations, the book about crystal skulls I'm reading, the book about Aubrey Beardsley I stopped reading, but really need to pick back up again, the DragonLance novel that I finally bought the 3rd part of, and all the other shit that I've fallen behind in as of late.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley