Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#118699 - 07/08/03 06:55 AM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
bousvaros Offline

Loc: Boston MA
I also know Flash and SPyBoy artist Pop Mhan has a very long Thai name.

Michael Nasser / Netzer's Adams -like style was from when he drew the Bat books in the late 70's and early 1980's. He changed his style when he returned to comics in the 90's after a long hiatus.

#118700 - 07/08/03 09:51 AM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Rowland:

I think that was under the name Paul Creddick -- some issues of Magnus, and I think the Unity 2000 prologue in Shadowman was solicited under that name.

--Scott Rowland

Yup, and yup to the Sam Kweskin comment, too -- I dropped the name when typing the post.

The late-run Warrens are full of pseudonyms, but the only one of note is Bill DuBay, who begins working as Will Richardson. Under his real name (DuBay) he was becoming involved in various veterans rights/POW-MIA movements, started using the pseudonym so that Warren wouldn't be associated with them. Whether he did this out of consideration for Warren or for the organizations is anyone's guess.

"You have [my] contempt." -- Alan Light to disappointed TBG subscriber.

#118701 - 07/08/03 09:55 AM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
The OC Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bousvaros:

Michael Nasser / Netzer's Adams -like style was from when he drew the Bat books in the late 70's and early 1980's. He changed his style when he returned to comics in the 90's after a long hiatus.

He did a Wonder Woman story in the Adams style, too, and also a Martian Manhunter back-up series. He worked for and through Adams' Continuity Studios. (He really didn't draw very much Batman material at that point, though he would seem to have been an obvious choice -- I remember only the Batman/Kobra crossover.)

His later, blockier style owed a lot to the way Mike Mignola used to draw, and then to Frank Miller.

Nasser apparently suffered a mental collapse before finding his religion, and at one point was living in Central Park. He drew a "story" for a Star*Reach book composed almost entirely of drawings of himself as Jesus. At some point thereafter, he went to live in Israel and drew comics there, adopting the current version of his name before coming back to the U.S.

#118702 - 07/08/03 02:03 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
RevRalph Offline

Loc: Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Otto Chelman:

His later, blockier style owed a lot to the way Mike Mignola used to draw, and then to Frank Miller.

Nasser apparently suffered a mental collapse before finding his religion, and at one point was living in Central Park. He drew a "story" for a Star*Reach book composed almost entirely of drawings of himself as Jesus. At some point thereafter, he went to live in Israel and drew comics there, adopting the current version of his name before coming back to the U.S.

I thought of Miller when I was looking at those issues. With Hanna's inks the art was okay, but the Luke McDonnel issues looked very over-inked IMO.

I wonder what Netzer/Nasser is doing today then. It's funny, but as a kid I always thought "once a comic book creator, always a comic book creator". As a kid it was a dream job, and the idea that someone had a life other than creating comics was unthinkable. Now that I'm older and have discovered magazines like Alter Ego and the Jack Kirby Collector, and to an extent the internet, it's sometimes jarring to find out just how human and frail creators are. In other words, just like you and me. Interesting stuff, thanks for the info.

Best,
Ralph

#118703 - 07/08/03 03:45 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
The OC Offline

There's a SIN CITY text page in which Miller pretty specifically inveighs against Nasser/Netzer, both for suing Adams and for aping Miller's art style.

(The second part, at least, I've never thought was terribly fair -- Miller's own rendering owes a lot to Breccia, or did at the time.)

Netzer was doing animation and web pages at one point.

#118704 - 07/08/03 08:27 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
bousvaros Offline

For those interested in Michael Netzer, I found a website. It appears he is a commercial artist living in Jerusalem.

http://www.netzartfedorov.com/netzer.htm

#118705 - 07/08/03 08:39 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
bousvaros Offline

I just found out that Pop Mhan's real name is Kochakorn Mhanaojyakorn.

I wonder what Stan Lee would have done with that one.

Kocharkorn "the King" Mhanaojyakorn ?
Kocharkorn "the Mouthful" Mhanaojyakorn ?
"Congenial" Kocharkorn Mhanaojyakorn ?
Kocharkorn "Ring-a-Ding" Mhanaojyakorn ?
Kochakorn "Nuff Said" Mhanaojyakorn?

#118706 - 07/30/03 12:24 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
bousvaros Offline

Bump

#118707 - 07/30/03 01:27 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
Kurt Busiek Offline

Loc: The Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:
Questions for those who might know:

On a fairly early issue of X-Men, just after Kirby left, there was an artist who used both his real name and his pen name.

I think it was Jay Gavin/Werner Roth, though I might be mistaken. I'm sure someone will know who I'm asking about.

Anyway, does anyone know why he used both names, and which one was his real name anyway?

His real name was Werner Roth.

From the way you phrase it, it sounds like you think there was an issue of X-MEN credited to both names. There wasn't.

Starting with X-MEN #13, Werner began finishing the pencils over Kirby layouts. As of #18, he took over as full penciler, and was the regular artist until #35, with a couple of fill-ins by others alog the way. He was credited as Jay Gavin from #13 through #22, and as of #23 started using his real name.

Incidentally, the pseudonym "Jay Gavin" was a reference to Roth's two sons, Jay and Gavin Roth.

kdb

#118708 - 07/30/03 01:51 PM Re: Comic book creator pseudonyms
message bored Offline

Loc: your li'l sister's bedroom
In the mid 90's, a short run in Daredevil was written by Alan Smithee . IIRC, it was just before J.M. DeMatteis took over the book in the "Marvel Edge" revamp of the character. As far as I know, it's the only time that this pseudonym, relatively usual in movies, has been used in a comic-book, and it wasn't never explained who was behind it. Anyone knows?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley