Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#140694 - 03/28/04 10:12 PM Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
artthreat Offline

Loc: TX
Hey! OK...well...lets see, I moved recently & my new local comic shop sux. First..they only order 3 copies of new comics & are always sold out within 30 min of placement. They say they can't afford to loose money on unbought comics...so they don't oder much...sooo, I end up buying comics at either Books-a-million or Hastings....
Anyway...the owner says he can't guarentee a Previews copy...& I can't ever get one...!
So....I am pretty sure you can't get a subscription to it.... so..
..whats the best way to get a Previews NOW..whats the best way to order them & if I wanted the one that came out last week....where can I go to get it???

Thanks!! Previews hunter!

#140695 - 03/28/04 10:22 PM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
art,

Actually, your shop really, really sucks. I mean, it REALLY sucks. If there are any alternatives in your area, seriously consider giving them a try. Could they be worse?

Matthew

#140696 - 03/28/04 10:26 PM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
Jeff Bartoletti Offline

I'm always amazed when I read about comic shops basically not wanting people's money.
This store of yours really sucks.

#140697 - 03/29/04 03:50 AM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
grendel824 Offline

Loc: Mission Viejo, CA
Yeah, that's pretty bad. In the store I worked at, during leaner months we would try to order so that just about everything would sell out from month to month, but we did that by carefully keeping track of sales and word of mouth. Nobody wants to be stuck with overordered books, but the more books you sell, the less those occasional overorders will hurt, and the more money you end up making in the end. Good luck on finding a better store!

Ed

#140698 - 03/29/04 08:22 AM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
tenebre Offline

almost all the online subscription sites offer a subscription to previews.

I use www.comicsnow.com for all my comics. I have never been told they were sold out of anew title. I get everything I wanted.

Your comic store sounds as awful aws my local store. Run, dont walk to an internet subscription service!

#140699 - 03/29/04 10:39 AM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
Jedimaster123 Offline

Loc: Delaware
Quote:
Originally posted by artthreat:
Hey! OK...well...lets see, I moved recently & my new local comic shop sux. First..they only order 3 copies of new comics & are always sold out within 30 min of placement. They say they can't afford to loose money on unbought comics...so they don't oder much...sooo, I end up buying comics at either Books-a-million or Hastings....
Anyway...the owner says he can't guarentee a Previews copy...& I can't ever get one...!
So....I am pretty sure you can't get a subscription to it.... so..
..whats the best way to get a Previews NOW..whats the best way to order them & if I wanted the one that came out last week....where can I go to get it???

Thanks!! Previews hunter!

What exactly are you looking for in Previews anyway?

Marvel, DC and Image stuff can be found here atleast a week before Previews comes out.

Plus, you save $4.00. smile

and if your store is like that, definitely find another store! That sucks. Big time.

Good Luck!

#140700 - 03/29/04 12:51 PM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
rockieman Offline

Loc: new york
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedimaster123:

What exactly are you looking for in Previews anyway?

Marvel, DC and Image stuff can be found here atleast a week before Previews comes out.

Plus, you save $4.00. smile

and if your store is like that, definitely find another store! That sucks. Big time.

Good Luck!

Previews has a few hi=undred pages of stuff beyond those 3 companies. Even if you primarily order from only those 3, you never know what you may find in the other sections. I think it's worth looking thru.

#140701 - 03/29/04 04:48 PM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
heeBGB Offline

Comic Book Resources Previews Archive has text only copies of the previews text, as does this Australian retailer. Diamond\'s own web site has copies of order forms you can download. The Westfield Company is a reputable mail-order retailer that has an excellent on-line catalog covering a significant subset of the Previews catalog. Between the many online resources (some listed here) and the vast amount of publisher hype that is available online, I rarely have the need to buy Previews.

However, it sounds like you have bigger issues with your retailer than not getting Previews from them, and that finding a better retailer will probably be far more helpful -- Why continue supporting a business that does not satisfy you? I will say from experience that if you are extremely diligent with your pre-ordering practices with Previews and keeping up with publisher's offerings online, you can overcome most limitations that a not-so-good retailer will throw at you. I will also say (again from experience) that the first comics shop you walk into when moving into a new town may not be the best shop, so it's always in your best interest to keep on the lookout for alternatives. You appear to be located in Texas, so you might be able to find a better retailer using Diamond\'s Comic Shop Locator Service (CSLS) , THE MASTER LIST of comic book stores , or (though it is from one specific publisher, I have found it generally useful) Dark Horse Comics\' Retailer Listing of preferred retailers.

#140702 - 03/29/04 07:14 PM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
Taylor K. Offline

Loc: In a Galaxy Close, Close by
I have a solution to your problem, partially because I had the same problem until recently. The only comic store I can go to is Waldenbooks, and they are about 2 weeks behind on most titles. So, i wanted a change. I looked online and found www.newenglandcomics.com . Now, I don't know if they carry Previews, but they do carry every title I looked for. They even have the two most recent months of titles divided from the rest to make it easier to buy new issues. Low shipping cost to. In your first order, they give you two free comics. Nothing bad. Actually good ones. I don't know about any following orders, because I just discovered this site. They send all of the issues after the month you ordered the issues for (for instance, March issues would all be coming soon). If you are willing to wait that long, than go ahead and use the site.
as far as your comic shop goes, we should all thank you. You have found something we can all agree on. That store sucks.

Taylor K.

#140703 - 03/30/04 09:58 AM Re: Buying Previews ...My comic shop sux...need direction...
Commander X Offline

I have an idea, NEVER GO TO THAT STORE AGAIN. Even if it's the only store within a 25 or 50 mile radius from where you live it's not worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley