Topic Options
#160323 - 07/03/05 07:02 PM Ultimate Villains Stories.
kanio Offline

Loc: xxx
Hello! I'm doing again some research before buying some comics for my library. I'm going to need some help and opinions for the forum.
This time I'm going to hunt for the definitive absolute villains stories.
I mean: the most important story of each mayor villain.
For example:
To me the Killing Joke it's the absolute Joker tale. The first coming of Galactus (FF:48-50) it's the most significant Galactus tale.
Maybe X-men 1-5 it 's the absolute Magneto tale.(but i'm not sure about this one)
What about Luthor? or Doom? or Sabretooth, Bullseye, The Penguin, Dock Ock, Venom, and the list goes on....
Please I'm looking for the best story, not the more classical or first appareance. I'll need the comic tittle and number!
I'll wait your suggestions.
Thank you very much!!

#160324 - 07/04/05 02:41 AM Re: Ultimate Villains Stories.
Jimbo Offline

Loc: New Zealand/Canada
I can reccomend 'Bullseye: Greatest Hits' which basically tells his origin and has great art by Steve Dillon.

The 'Loki' mini series, just called 'Loki' was really good, with beautiful painted art.

#160325 - 07/07/05 12:19 AM Re: Ultimate Villains Stories.
fobb Offline

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is my pick. It's not the "definitive" Lex Luthor story though, because it shows Lex not as an "absolute evil" character. In fact, it shows the world through Lex's eyes, with Superman being the ALIEN that humanity should fear...yet they don't.

With that said, it's an absolute GREAT read. The 5th and final issue should be out this week...so the trade will probably take another 2 months, so you can buy for your library.

#160326 - 07/11/05 08:55 AM Re: Ultimate Villains Stories.
kanio Offline

Loc: xxx
Thanks, I already am buying LL: MOS, its a great series!
Nobody can recommend more older comics?

#160327 - 07/11/05 04:53 PM Re: Ultimate Villains Stories.
Sean Murphy Offline

Loc: State of Confusion
If you can find the old X-men graphic novel God Loves, Man Kills, you should definitly grab it. To me, that marks the point when they started really portrating Magneto in a sympathetic light (though there had been hints of that before). Faced with the genocidal hatred of anti-mutant preacher Stryker, Magneto's cause made a lot more sense. Good story, good art, though I can't remember the artist.

Of course, Marvel seems to have turned Magneto into a straight-up villain again, but for awhile he was an excellent anti-hero in Marvelworld.

#160328 - 07/24/05 12:04 AM Re: Ultimate Villains Stories.
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
In my opinion one of the definitive Doc Doom stories is the one where he steals the Silver Surfers cosmic powers and is driven out of his mind. I can't remember the exact issue numbers right now but it's around #70-90 of Lee and Kirby's classic run.

For me the greatest and most definitive Joker story of all time is the Steve Englehart and Marshall Rogers classic "Joker Fish". Again I can't recall the exact issue numbers but it was collected in several TPB's including "The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told" and "Batman: Strange Apparations".

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley