Page 1 of 200 1 2 3 ... 199 200 >
Topic Options
#16380 - 03/04/06 01:37 AM John Byrne's Career is Over
brianglover Offline

When is John Byrne going to understand that his career is over. All of the books that he has done in the past decade have been critical failures - New Gods, Wonder Woman, X-Men:the Hidden Years, Doom Patrol (yuck), the Demon (what a joke).

Lately he has resigned himself to insulting those that are currently popular. With the exception of Frank Miller, he holds everyone else to a high standard when writing the major characters (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc.) Anyone who has been to his forum knows that he is so out of touch it is sad.

Isn't it time for him to retire and do commissions for his fans and dream of the glory days when he was on the cutting edge?

#16381 - 03/04/06 04:17 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Bring Back Zot Offline

No, Byrne should not retire.

He's still got game, as his runs on Action and Blood of the Demon prove. He can draw circles around many of today's artists. He needs to stop with the internet posting, however, beacause OMAR is watching his every move.

I'd love to see him return to Action, or maybe try a run on the Flash. I do think his work is stronger when he is paired with both a writer and an inker, though. Doug Hazlewood did a really nice job on Doom Patrol.

#16382 - 03/04/06 06:49 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwfla71 Offline

Loc: florida
Someone else trying to be "Cool" and "Hip" by insulting John Byrne. How original.

#16383 - 03/04/06 08:39 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bring Back Zot:
No, Byrne should not retire.
Of course he shouldn't. Not if he still has something to say through comics - and clearly the man can still draw a great looking superhero story in the traditional style. He may no longer have much good will in the world of comics, but his talents as an artist are still strong. No reason not to let the world see that. If DC won't give him a project - lord knows if I were at Marvel I sure as hell wouldn't - then maybe it's time for a return to creator-owned works. His core audience will follow him.
Quote:
Originally posted by jwfla71:
Someone else trying to be "Cool" and "Hip" by insulting John Byrne. How original.
I don't think you've ever revealed your Byrne Board name here. You should. What do you post as over there?

#16384 - 03/04/06 09:10 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
metron Offline

Byrne's art is still pretty sharp. At times his writing has wavered, but DC has plenty of writers available he can work with. Why should he retire? He can still earn boucoup bucks. There are probably hundreds of artists who would want to be in his position in the industry right now.

Allen Smith

#16385 - 03/04/06 10:02 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwfla71 Offline

Loc: florida
*What do you post as over there?*
I don't anymore, why?

#16386 - 03/04/06 10:06 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jwfla71:
I Don't.
There's nothing for you to be embarassed about, and therefore no reason for you to lie.

#16387 - 03/06/06 10:05 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Not From Around Here Offline

From what I've seen the man is a sad case of someone being his own worst enemy. That said, the vehemence of certain of his other enemies seems kind of nutty at times.

#16388 - 03/06/06 11:45 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
John Byrne is a perfectly good artist. He draws classic action comics. There is no reason he can't continue as an artist for as long as he likes.

In my opinion, though, he is not a good writer. He seems to fall on his face on the titles in which he tries to do everything, such as DOOM PATROL.

On his Internet rants, I'm with Not From Around Here: Byrne says some dumb and insensitive things. But that's not unusual on the Web, where people can fire off the first thought that crosses their mind. I've never understood why Byrne, more than other comics creators, seems to inspire such loathing.

#16389 - 03/06/06 12:39 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
I for one would like to see Byrne go back to something creator-owned--maybe Danger Unlimited. Image would seem to make sense, but I think the bridges might be a little too scorched there.

Jake

Page 1 of 200 1 2 3 ... 199 200 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley