Page 2 of 200 < 1 2 3 4 ... 199 200 >
Topic Options
#16390 - 03/06/06 12:59 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
dorian grey Offline

Loc: California
I'd like to see him go back to NEXT MEN, finish that up. But I imagine that he has recycled / adapted those stories as something else.

I didn't mean that as sarcastic as some of you will take it. Byrne has often stated, in the forward to 2112 for instance, that some projects started out as something else entirely.

#16391 - 03/06/06 01:29 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatus:
I think the bridges might be a little too scorched there.
That's the thing with John Byrne - he is becoming an island whose connection to the mainland is built upon burning, smoking bridges as far as the eye can see.

#16392 - 03/06/06 11:26 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Brian Bell Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I think Byrne's writing isn't that great.

At times, he's so inspired, it has made up for his writing deficiencies.

I think he's phoned it in with his art sometimes, too, no matter what he may claim.

I also think his reputation toward fans and the comics community is so bad, it's hard not believe there's some truth in it.

However, his latest work in Action is top notch, really. As good as he ever was, practically -- in some ways better, in others not, but there's no arguing it's seriously high-quality work.

Should he stop doing comics? Hell, no, not when he can still draw like that.

#16393 - 03/07/06 03:18 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
granfalloon Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
No one can stay on top forever. Think of Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby in his last days. Think of Carlos Burgos and Bill Everett, two of the biggest artists of the golden age inking and colouring for Marvel.

Assuming Byrne saved his money or invested wisely while it was coming in, he is free to do as he wishes in whatever field he chooses. If he is broke then the trick is "know thyself".

#16394 - 03/07/06 06:59 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Erik Larsen Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA
Quote:
I for one would like to see Byrne go back to something creator-owned--maybe Danger Unlimited. Image would seem to make sense, but I think the bridges might be a little too scorched there.
They're only burned in his own mind. I'd welcome him--but I can't see him making that move regardless.

Savage Dragon perpetrator
www.imagecomics.com
www.savagedragon.com

#16395 - 03/07/06 10:46 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by metron:
Why should he retire? He can still earn boucoup bucks.
Not if he keeps pulling in the sales he's been getting in recent years.

#16396 - 03/07/06 11:15 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Erik Larsen Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyatt:
Quote:
Originally posted by metron:
Why should he retire? He can still earn boucoup bucks.
Not if he keeps pulling in the sales he's been getting in recent years.
Sure he can.

I'm pretty sure he's still getting one of the highest page rates out there at this point and he is paid by the page, after all.

Only a handful of books earn rotalties these days and since John can crank out the pages--it only stands to reason that he's still able to earn a decent living.

He has no reason to retire.

Savage Dragon perpetrator
www.imagecomics.com
www.savagedragon.com

#16397 - 03/08/06 02:33 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Jack Norris Offline

Loc: alhambra ca.
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Bell:

...However, his latest work in Action is top notch, really. As good as he ever was, practically -- in some ways better, in others not, but there's no arguing it's seriously high-quality work.

Should he stop doing comics? Hell, no, not when he can still draw like that.
He can't.
Because his inker on Action does Byrne better than Byrne.
Don't expect them to work together again since Nelson, the inker, erased the bad Byrne to draw the good Byrne.
Check the penciled art on Byrne's own website.
And that, understandably, pissed Byrne off.
”Comics, more than film, gave us an appreciation for the ways that words and pictures can be used to tell a story… ...Which is why, for us, so many comics today are disappointments. In a medium where you can draw ANYTHING, how can so many artists be content to simply imitate what’s already been done in film and television?”
--The Wachowski Brothers

#16398 - 03/08/06 04:46 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
mckracken Offline

It's weird, but I'm reading 232-240 FF for the first time, and compared to what I saw recently on Action Comics from him, the 80ies Byrne is way better, visually.

But don't ask me why that is so.

it's probably a mixture of modern coloring, an alien inker (did he do those inks himself back then?) and Byrne's abilities weakening over time.

#16399 - 03/08/06 08:34 AM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Larsen:
Quote:
I for one would like to see Byrne go back to something creator-owned--maybe Danger Unlimited. Image would seem to make sense, but I think the bridges might be a little too scorched there.
They're only burned in his own mind. I'd welcome him--but I can't see him making that move regardless.
That's good to hear, Erik. I would think that Byrne has enough of a loyal following--and fans like me who remember some of his creator-owned work fondly--that he could make a profit on a Danger Unlimited or JBNM book at Image (though obviously I'm not privy to the Image cost structure). I also don't see him making that decision, but it would be nice to see.

Jake

Page 2 of 200 < 1 2 3 4 ... 199 200 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley