Page 3 of 200 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 199 200 >
Topic Options
#16400 - 03/08/06 03:53 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Jeff Albertson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Norris:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Bell:

...However, his latest work in Action is top notch, really. As good as he ever was, practically -- in some ways better, in others not, but there's no arguing it's seriously high-quality work.

Should he stop doing comics? Hell, no, not when he can still draw like that.
He can't.
Because his inker on Action does Byrne better than Byrne.
Don't expect them to work together again since Nelson, the inker, erased the bad Byrne to draw the good Byrne.
Check the penciled art on Byrne's own website.
And that, understandably, pissed Byrne off.
What's hilarious about that is Byrne relates a story on his site about Joe Sinnott erasing and redrawing Kirby, and how wonderful that combination was. Somehow that was OK, but Byrne's being redrawn isn't.

#16401 - 03/08/06 10:31 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Larsen:
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyatt:
Quote:
Originally posted by metron:
Why should he retire? He can still earn boucoup bucks.
Not if he keeps pulling in the sales he's been getting in recent years.
Sure he can.

I'm pretty sure he's still getting one of the highest page rates out there at this point and he is paid by the page, after all.

Only a handful of books earn rotalties these days and since John can crank out the pages--it only stands to reason that he's still able to earn a decent living.

He has no reason to retire.
I just don't see DC continuing to hand him ongoing series like BLOOD OF THE DEMON if his ongoing series continue to be the lowest selling titles in DC's lineup.

#16402 - 03/08/06 11:07 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Albertson:
What's hilarious about that is Byrne relates a story on his site about Joe Sinnott erasing and redrawing Kirby, and how wonderful that combination was. Somehow that was OK, but Byrne's being redrawn isn't.
The "L" in John L Byrne stands for 'hypocrite.'

#16403 - 03/13/06 09:54 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Apparently Byrne's career lives on. He is the announced penciler on one of the Superman Return projects and on the "All New Atom" with Gail Simone.

Jake

#16404 - 03/14/06 01:10 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
mjb0123 Offline

See, I kinda like John Byrne.

For some reason, he seems to have made some bad choices that didn't work out. For some reason, he feels married to Doom Patrol. I for one was pissed in that story arc in JLA 94-100 where it was just a preview for Doom Patrol.

I wish he would finish Next Men and make it what he really wants it to be. It doesn't have to be monthly, what about bi-monthly?

I like what Byrne did to the revitalization of Superman in 86. I like his pencils.

Visit The Butcher Shop:
http://mjb0123.blogspot.com
http://www.independentpropaganda.com

As William Shatner once said, "Get a life!"

#16405 - 03/14/06 01:59 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Jeff Albertson Offline

Byrne's pulled out of the Superman Returns project, AFTER the solicitations were announced. http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11009&PN=1&TPN=4 This is a guy who chides OTHER artists about being unprofessional?

#16406 - 03/14/06 02:47 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
jwfla71 Offline

Loc: florida
What is unprofessional about that?
He was told it was going to be an adaptation of the Original Superman movie, and when he found out it wasn't, he bowed out. Big deal.

#16407 - 03/14/06 04:28 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
Jeff Albertson Offline

Note that in the thread he says he was going to be doing the Krypton and Smallville sequences -- which, based on all the publicity for the movie, WOULD be in line with the first Christopher Reeve movie. He's quitting because it's no longer a four issue adaptation, even though his part remained the same.

I personally find it difficult to believe that he agreed to a project tied to the upcoming Superman movie (which has a set release date), it progressed far enough that the solicitations were released, and THEN he discovered it was tied in to the upcoming Superman movie. He HAD to know the project existed only because the new film is coming out.

So he leaves DC in the lurch, because they thought he would keep his commitment and dared to solicit a book with that thought. I bet Dan DiDio is really pleased that he offered the assignment to Byrne, and is looking forward to working with Byrne again in the future.

#16408 - 03/15/06 02:24 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
brianglover Offline

Apparently Byrne's career lives on. He is the announced penciler on one of the Superman Return projects and on the "All New Atom" with Gail Simone.

He has not been given the job as penciler on the new Atom series. As of now, he is only scheduled for the Atom One-Shot.

#16409 - 03/16/06 12:16 PM Re: John Byrne's Career is Over
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Quote:
Originally posted by brianglover:

He has not been given the job as penciler on the new Atom series. As of now, he is only scheduled for the Atom One-Shot.
I hadn't heard that. In a thread on his board, he talks about tweaking the new costume design as the series progress. See the Byrne forum. Sounds to me like he's in it for more than a one-shot.

Jake

Page 3 of 200 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 199 200 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley