Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#18430 - 03/14/06 06:23 PM Eleven Whole Days...
Keith Klein Offline

Loc: Chicago
Paul Dale Roberts of Jazma Online reviewed my comic and said, "

...I put Autumn Moon in the same category as the movie "The Howling", "Ginger Snaps" and "An American Werewolf in London", this is the best werewolf story that I have seen in a long, long time!"

But after only eleven days, the feature I had written about my independent comic book, Autumn Moon, has been taken down from the Pulse website, while the other articles that were posted around the same time, remain.

I guess considering that The Pulse mainly serves the big comic book makers, I should be glad that I was up there that long.

I wasn't sure that my feature (which I was asked to write myself, instead of being interviewed OR having my comic reviewed) was ever going to get posted.

It had been three months since I contacted Jen Contino about the release of my second issue of Autumn Moon and asked if I could send her a copy for review. She told me to write the review myself and email her images that she could post...but made no mention of even wanting to see a copy of my book...in fact, when I asked her for her mailing address, her response was, "For what?"...

"Ummm, so I can get you a copy of my comic and a CD with images you can post". At first I chocked it up to the that fact that she'd probably forgotten the problem we had last time trying to email images when she reviewed the first issue of Autumn Moon back in October 2003...problems which eventually resulted in me sending her a CD.

So, this past December I sent her a signed copy of Autumn Moon #2, a CD with images from the first seven pages and the piece I'd written about the journey I had making Autumn Moon.

Do you know that I never got so much as a "thank you" or a "got your comic and image CD" email from Jen.

After nearly three months of not hearing from her or seeing my article posted, I emailed to see if she'd indeed gotten the stuff I sent and she said yes, that she was "waiting for copy". This told me that she either hadn't even bothered to insert the CD and see what was on there, or worse, she "didn't see" the document file with the copy but also didn't think it important enough to write me and ask, "where's the copy for the story?". I got silence.

I emailed her the copy and she told me that it would be up, "next week"...nearly three weeks later, no Autumn Moon story.

Again, I emailed her, sarcastically wondering if I had, "missed the post"? Jen wrote to say that she'd had a death in the family, which apparently didn't prevent her from posting any of the other articles from other publishers that week or the week before. I guess grandma's death only prevented her from posting my article.

My article eventually went up, at the end of that week, the beginning of March...for a whopping eleven days...but the six, COUNT 'EM...SIX, "Phantom" posts that came after me remain, as do all the articles that were posted long before me.

Thanks for the eleven whole days of publicity, Jen. I've got to keep in mind that the comic industry did the same thing to Bill Gaines and "Tales From The Crypt". No publicity (or virtually none), equals no sales.

Let this be a warning of what you can expect, fellow artists and writers, if you want to go into publishing comic books on your own.

My fans write me and ask, "Keith, why aren't you going to publish any more comics....?"

I'm not into S & M, that's why!

The comic industry is going to fall...it would be dead right now if it weren't standing on legs made of debt!

www.blackplatformstudio.com

#18431 - 03/14/06 06:57 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
NatGertler Offline

No, Keith, your article has NOT been taken down from the website. It's still there .

It's not on the first page of topics under discussion. Why not? Because items are listed in the order of how recently people discussed them. So far, no one has been inspired to respond to your article.

As a system, it's a pretty good one - people can easily find the ongoing discussions, and articles that don't generate much response (which is a loose indicator of interest in the article) slide down the list.

It may pain you that other folks aren't doing enough free marketing on your behalf.
If you want longer visible placement in the future, I suggest you try paid advertising.

(I'm also not clear on how long you think your piece is supposed to be "news" here. I don't know the reader churn here, but I have to reckon that in eleven days, most of the folks who visit here with any reasonable regularity have already had the chance to see your article listed on that first page.)

#18432 - 03/14/06 07:53 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
Keith Klein Offline

They may not be talking about the book on your message board, Nat, but the sales were steady until I got bumped, moved, deleted ...whatever you want to call it.

I spent a lot of time on this book, I got a lot of good response on it elsewhere...eleven days on page one, three months after my book came out, just seems a little short.

I don't expect "folks to do free marketing on my behalf", smarty pants...just looking for a little equal time and some basic human respect (thank you's and simple communication), which Jen clearly fell short of, and which you failed to address.

#18433 - 03/14/06 08:09 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
mjb0123 Offline

Playing devil's advocate here but this Jen person probably has a bunch of stuff to do. Something tells me you are not the only one...

Visit The Butcher Shop:
http://mjb0123.blogspot.com
http://www.independentpropaganda.com

As William Shatner once said, "Get a life!"

#18434 - 03/14/06 09:29 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Klein:
They may not be talking about the book on your message board, Nat,
It's not my message board, Keith. I'm just a user here.
Quote:
but the sales were steady
Ah, so you got sales out of the free publicity, and rather than being thankful for it, you're here whining that you didn't get more.
Quote:
until I got bumped, moved, deleted ...whatever you want to call it.
You did not get moved, did not get deleted, the message board just worked like message boards do, and you slid lower on the list.
Quote:
I spent a lot of time on this book, I got a lot of good response on it elsewhere...eleven days on page one, three months after my book came out, just seems a little short.
It does? Really? How many books do you think come out in a given month?
Quote:
I don't expect "folks to do free marketing on my behalf", smarty pants...
Really? Because you're here whining that your piece was deleted (which it wasn't) after marketing your product for only 11 days.
Quote:
just looking for a little equal time
Your post seems to have gotten equal treatment by the system.
Quote:
and some basic human respect (thank you's and simple communication), which Jen clearly fell short of, and which you failed to address.
Let's see now. First I have to face the fact that I've only got your version of events, and your post contains things that I know to be inaccurate. And even given that, you are apparently bothered that she didn't thank you for her giving your work free coverage? And that a death in her family may merely have slowed her down rather than stopping things altogether?

If you really want a comment on human respect, I'll give you one... but I'll warn you now, you won't come out looking good in it.
Quote:
Let this be a warning of what you can expect, fellow artists and writers, if you want to go into publishing comic books on your own.
And if you want to do so without funding, put books out at random times, and act rudely to the very people who helped you promote your work, then what might happen to you is... unreasonable ranting comes from your fingers?

#18435 - 03/14/06 09:45 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
Keith Klein Offline

I'm glad I'm not your parents...

#18436 - 03/14/06 10:04 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
Keith,

While it can be frustrating to sit idle while waiting to take that next step toward your goals which in this case I'm assuming was the promo of issue 2 right?

Someone suffering a death in the family not to mention an already heavy work load isn't some cosmic dis aimed at you and only you.

Just be persistant w/o pissing people off that may take a while to come around to your side of the fence.

From one creator to another, I do empathize w/ the ongoing struggle to do the work you love and have to swallow when it's taste is sour.

I also empathize w/ Jen when it comes to certain hurdles life throws in your path as well.

W/o making this my blog entry, I've had more setbacks then I can fathom, but I still keep that goal in sight.

that's my 2 cents worth.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#18437 - 03/14/06 10:27 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Klein:
I'm glad I'm not your parents...
Why yes, that would be quite confusing to have you be both of my parents. What that has to do with justifying your behaviour here is beyond me.

Now, how about publicly apologizing to Jen?

#18438 - 03/14/06 10:55 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
Wil Radcliffe Offline

Loc: Fremont, IN
Jen has been nothing but respectful and prompt when I've had press releases to send her regarding my book. I'm puzzled as to why you had such a difficult time of it. But Nat is correct about the way the message boards work. If no one responds to your post, it slips down the list till it's off the page. That sometimes even happens to press releases from the Big Two. So don't take it personally.

Also, while I can understand your frustration, that comment about the death in Jen's family was pretty rude. You really should apologize to her.

But hang in there and don't give up on self-publishing. Persistence is the name of the game.

"In the tradition of Tolkien and Rowling, Wil carves out his own territory in the fantasy genre with Noggle Stones." ~ Ernie Colon

"It's great fun!" ~ Barry Cunningham, The Chicken House

http://www.nogglestones.com

#18439 - 03/14/06 11:02 PM Re: Eleven Whole Days...
Keith Klein Offline

LOL

Now, where are you getting the idea that I don't care that her grandma died?

Talk about taking things out of context!

First off, I did this book as therapy after my mother died...so don't sit there and tell me I dont know or care what death feels like, man, cuz I do. That's what my book is about in the first place.

That's not my point...at all!

Did you hear me...re-read it if you missed it...She had the stuff for three months...three months...and didn't bother to tell me she had it...didn't bother to look at it...didn't bother to tell me that she was "waiting" for copy that I included on the CD. Get it?

Gran died three months after I sent my stuff in...My book came out in November...this is March...I could be half way to another book by now.

Get off of me, man! You can't tell me that indy publishers don't take a back seat to the Big Boys here and everywhere else in comicdom.

I did this book for fun...I never anticipated that there would be so much unfun stuff associated with something I used to consider fun...namely comics.

I could now write a book about the BS that IS the comic industry. My advise to anyone who wants to do their own comicis is, Don't! Go do something else. This was a fun project until I tried to get it out in the public and encountered the gatekeepers.

I bet there are a lot of other creators who've gone through the exact same thing trying to get their little book in front of people...people who know exactly what I'm saying and had similar things happen. Face it, we are at the mercy of the Big Boys...they control the system. But we don't have to bend over and spread our cheeks for them, either.

If you want to sit there and attack me for telling this story, fine. It shows the level of maturity I'm dealing with here...and that people can't read a post without spinning everything I wrote so that now I'm the dick. LOL. Whatever. If you want to doubt me, fine. I really don't care. I'm relaying what happened, and you can turn it around anyway you want it.

PS...The taste is not sour. I chose to publish my own book so that some editor didn't turn it into mush to please the masses. As far as my book/work goes, I'm satisfied. I relayed a story...the end. FYI, I sent Jen my condolences about her grandma before she posted my piece...I didn't get an acknowledgement from her for that either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley