Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204886 - 12/04/98 12:39 AM Best shows for COMICON.com
Tak Toyoshima Offline

Loc: Boston,MA USA
Let's figure out which shows that we have attended collectively are worth attending. The Boston shows are pretty good and the promoter (Dave Cummings) is a real nice guy. Space doesn't cost a whole lot and whenever there are artists/creators/writers from out of town the attendance swells. He also advertises a lot so that helps. It's not San Diego but it's a good start!

The Big Apple shows I have mixed feelings about. First off it really smells in there. They have also started to charge more for space. But the positives are that you get a real diverse crowd and it would be a welcome change to their usual roster.

Chicago was pretty mixed up. I would probably steer clear of that one. But there are a lot of people who go to it so who knows...

San Diego. The biggie. The competition is huge and most of the fans are there for Image, Marvel, DC. I just had a table in Artist's Alley and I made more than I though I would so that one I would call up in the air. It's a huge show but it may be the right one for COMICON.com.

Well, that's it for me. Anyone else?

------------------
TAK

#204887 - 12/04/98 07:04 AM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Marshall M Dillon Offline

Loc: Michigan
AS said before...
I live in Michigan, I attend 2 Chicago shows.. 2 Detroit shows...(The May show has
10,000 attendees!) I do Pittsburgh.. It is a decent show... Artist tables are FREE.. Small
Press boothe are CHEAP AND SKIRTED!! AND they feed you! I did SPX... Not Great... but I was 1 man in a storm of small press... I was also in a side room... a consolidated group, in the main hall would do better. I did Mid-Ohio... It was VERY bad for me.. (again, a side room, one man and all that)....too expensive for "small press" tables... there may be some leverage though...

I have Eric's replies to those questions... and I lifted TAK's... C'mon guys.... send'em to me!

Marshall

PS anyone discuss this with Steve and Rick yet??

M

#204888 - 12/04/98 09:35 AM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Mike Manley Offline

Loc: Upper Darby, PA
My list of shows is this:

1) San Diego-the biggest a must do. It's worth cutting down on other shows to do it.
A booth on the main floor is a must. Take it to the people!

2)Wondercon. I love this show-what can I say. I've done it 4 times. Always good. Nice guys like Joe Fields help make it a fun show.

3) Chicago-Wizard. that last word is the catch for me. It seems like a corporate show. I haven't attended, but if the con is in any way a reflection of the magazine-well...it might not be worth it.

4) A New York show this gives us coast to coast coverage.

5) Heroes? I've never been, but I hear good things.

6) Detroit shows. My home town-so I get to see Mom and dad.

7) APE-San Fran. Preaching to the converted?

8) SPX 1999!

9) Kanasas city-not a huge show, but I've done it before. Good people-great barbacue!!

10) Minneapolis? I hear from two friends it is a good fan show.

11) A long shot--but there is a show in Buenos Aries every year that pulls big shots like Bernet, Munoz, Alan Grant, etc from Eroupe. Good fans and plenty of great lookin' women! I've been to Argentina before and it's a great place. They love comics. I sent a box of my stuff last year, and the books flew off the table, my friends Ric and Enrique Villagran had.
The next big show is next fall sometime-their spring.

Now what about these shows, I've never done one.

Dragoncon, Boston, Toronto, Mega-con, Pittburgh. Somebody mentioned New Orleans?

thoughts?

Mike M --thinking of the beautiful senoritas and great Argentine asado!!

Visit the Action Planet message board

ACTION PLANET INC.
at: www.actionplanet.com

#204889 - 12/04/98 10:17 AM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Eric L Kent Offline

Loc: Mt. Washington,KY,USA
Quote:
Mike typed: 11) A long shot--but there is a show in Buenos Aries every year that pulls big
shots like Bernet, Munoz, Alan Grant, etc from Eroupe. Good fans and plenty of
great lookin' women! I've been to Argentina before and it's a great place. They
love comics. I sent a box of my stuff last year, and the books flew off the table,
my friends Ric and Enrique Villagran had.
The next big show is next fall sometime-their spring.

Hmm hot foreign women and comics...what more could we want. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Now what about these shows, I've never done one.

Dragoncon, Boston, Toronto, Mega-con, Pittburgh. Somebody mentioned New
Orleans?

I "visited" Dragoncon this year. While the convention is huge and was packed beyond belief it was spread out across three buildings and about 2 city blocks. It was hella confusing for me being my first time there. If we do that show we'd have to make sure we lete EVERYONE know exactly where our booth is. It was also the most people dressed up that I've ever seen. People in armor, vampires, super-heroes..you name it. It was fun just to look at the people. And yes we are talking real armor,swords, and even booths that were drilling and inserting vampire fangs into peoples real teeth.

------------------
Eric L. Kent
"The Bunny Squadron cometh ever closer"
Powermage Studios
http://members.aol.com/kurserod/welcome.htm

#204890 - 12/04/98 05:50 PM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Marshall M Dillon Offline

Loc: Michigan
New Orleans... put on by the Ohio guys....Memorial day weekend...Say, this is just a long shot... My dad has a time share .. WE used it to go to the French Quarter(New Orlens Party Central!!0 last year for Halloween.... anyway... I think I could use it for Memorial day(IF IT IS AVAILABLE!!)

Just an Idea... Like I said the Pittsburgh show is GREAT!!

I'd LOVE to do Dragon.

I've heard A LOT of bad shit about those church-New York shows... But I think if we are all in for it I'd be up for it...

When/where is wonder con?Heroes? (Orlando?/Charlete?)

Mike, I live near FLINT, what part of Detroit do your Folks live in??

Talk later...

M....

#204891 - 12/04/98 06:41 PM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Eric L Kent Offline

Loc: Mt. Washington,KY,USA
Quote:
When/where is wonder con?Heroes? (Orlando?/Charlete?)

It's in Charlotte. I'm not sure of the date of it yet but one of my partners should know since he lives round that area. I'll find out.

------------------
Eric L. Kent
"The Bunny Squadron cometh ever closer"
Powermage Studios
http://members.aol.com/kurserod/welcome.htm

#204892 - 12/06/98 06:33 AM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
It's 6:30 am here. I've been up since 4am babysitting a database conversion here at our spooky old hospital, dubbed 'Danger Hospital' by the staff. Finally got a chance to print out this thread (20 pages!) and read it. Some questions:

1) How much do the tables we want to buy cost? I thought main-floor tables were something like $500 per. Can 5 of us fit behind one table?

2) The publication being discussed-- is it a single publication for the entire tour? If so, how do we divy up the pages and the cost, since we'll have varying participation in the shows? Will it have a color cover? Will it be solicited thru Diamond?

3) Can anybody talk to the Trilogy folks or that other tour that was mentioned, to see what their experiences have been?

4) Since we're too late for some of the major shows, does it make sense to hold back and start planning now for a year 2000 tour?

5) Finally, is there still interest in pursuing the idea of working with show promoters to improve traffic in the small press areas? Me, I'm a small-press kind of guy; my sales are better at SPX and in small press rooms than they are when I'm in an artist alley trafficked by superhero fans. Also, cost-wise, I can affort small-press room space better than main floor space.

I wonder if anybody else is up for a 'little guy' tour?

[img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
Joe Zabel

#204893 - 12/06/98 01:35 PM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hey, at last year's San Diego Con, we talked to some folks from BloodFire Studios about this sort of thing, getting a bunch of small press types together and taking an entire section (ala Marvel, DC, Image), making us all look WAY bigger and drawing more curious Con attendees (hey, look at this big section, who are they??) Haven't heard anything from them about it, but maybe we should think about more than one booth... like a whole line of booths! Eh what?

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#204894 - 12/06/98 03:31 PM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
Mike Manley Offline

Loc: Upper Darby, PA
Well, to solve some of the nagging questions we keep asking each other, when none of us know, I'll get the prices and dates this week for Chicago and San Diego.

I think it is a must to do San Diego. It is also a must to do the main floor. I feel the "percived value" issue is at hand here. If you are worth anything, your comics any good, then why are you in the back?

Most cons are a mess. Folks don't look at the map or booklet and say, "him, those interesting small press guys are in the back, I'll go over and see them."
They do the main floor then they spilt.

We've all been in artist alley, and the small press areas. Face it, they mostly suck.
In order to break out we must be out in the main area. I'm not intested in being in a small place as a group. I could do that myself. I do think they idea of having a few persons walking the floor is a must, handing out some passes or directions or something to get signed, something for kids. Frankly, I'm considering getting someone to dress up like one of my characters. It always attracts fans.

When we have the prices then we can talk how many publisher/artists per table. you can then say if it is out of your reach or not. I have had a great time at Wondercon in Oakland in the past. I'll try and get their info as well.

Mike M.
Action Planet Comics

Visit the Action Planet message board

ACTION PLANET INC.
at: www.actionplanet.com

#204895 - 12/07/98 09:40 AM Re: Best shows for COMICON.com
jason_maranto Offline

Loc: Tampa,Fl - USA
Hey Guys,

I would be happy to join you at the mega-con in Orlando. It happens in March '99

I'm not exactly a self-publisher but i have a few books out from some of the larger indy's. Its not much but there is strength in numbers.

Jason.

------------------

http://www.theinvalidurl.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley