Page 21 of 38 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 37 38 >
Topic Options
#581599 - 12/30/10 10:28 AM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MBunge Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Iowa, United States
Originally Posted By: Allen Montgomery
The assembly line process of creating comics is a construct of trademark servicing publishers, and should be wholly rejected.

No, it's a product of the fact that very few people can do all the things that go into making a comic book themselves at a high enough level to make it worth reading and that one person doing all those things themselves makes the comic creating process much longer and more arduous.

Mike

#581600 - 12/30/10 10:35 AM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MBunge Offline

Adam Warren doesn't seem to have any trouble putting out his series of Empowered OGN's.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Volume 1 and 2 came out in March and October of 2007. 3 and 4 came out in March and October of 2008. 5 came out in June 2009 and 6 was released in September 2010.

Mike

Edited by MBunge (12/30/10 10:36 AM)

#581605 - 12/30/10 10:44 AM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: MBunge]
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
Getting into all this in my conversation with Dave Sim, at MYRANT:
http://srbissette.com/?p=10644

#581606 - 12/30/10 10:47 AM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Stephen R Bissette]
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
Allen, I'm seeing the reality with my students and graduates from CCS, not to mention my own three+ decades of hard experience, and those of my peers (some of whom are still working in the field, such as it is). Ah, well, resume.

#581613 - 12/30/10 05:16 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: MBunge]
Allen Montgomery Online   content

Originally Posted By: MBunge
No, it's a product of the fact that very few people can do all the things that go into making a comic book themselves at a high enough level to make it worth reading

That is a false standard which was, once again, created by the trademark servicing publishers who required a more generic "house style."

and that one person doing all those things themselves makes the comic creating process much longer and more arduous.

Yes, because just doing it yourself is so much more time consuming than handing it off to multiple people. Not.

#581614 - 12/30/10 05:20 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: MBunge]

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Volume 1 and 2 came out in March and October of 2007. 3 and 4 came out in March and October of 2008. 5 came out in June 2009 and 6 was released in September 2010.

Twice a year was his original publishing plan. Beyond that, have you read Empowered? It's so incredibly clever, I'd imagine the delays in the later issues have only to do with Warren's difficulty in coming up with fresh material.

#581615 - 12/30/10 05:22 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MBunge Offline

No, it's a product of the fact that very few people can do all the things that go into making a comic book themselves at a high enough level to make it worth reading

That is a false standard which was, once again, created by the trademark servicing publishers who required a more generic "house style."

and that one person doing all those things themselves makes the comic creating process much longer and more arduous.

Yes, because just doing it yourself is so much more time consuming than handing it off to multiple people. Not.

There are many more good writers who can't draw and good artists who can't write than people who can do both. That's as plain as the head up your ass.

As artist X finishes one issue, writer Y can be working on the next. Seriously? How is that concept not easy to grasp? Breaking a job down into component parts almost always leads to quicker and easier completion.

Mike

Edited by MBunge (12/30/10 05:24 PM)

#581616 - 12/30/10 05:24 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Stephen R Bissette]

Originally Posted By: Stephen R Bissette
Allen, I'm seeing the reality with my students and graduates from CCS, not to mention my own three+ decades of hard experience, and those of my peers (some of whom are still working in the field, such as it is).

If you're not looking for answers, you're just bellyaching. And I don't know if you're using this line of rhetoric on purpose, as a means to try and shut down input from all the non-fawning non-pros here, but that's the way it's coming across.

#581617 - 12/30/10 05:27 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: Allen Montgomery]
MBunge Offline

I'd imagine the delays in the later issues have only to do with Warren's difficulty in coming up with fresh material.

I don't know exactly how much Warren is making from Empowered, but he sure isn't paying his bills from it, especially when that income was cut in half the last two years. I suspect the need to do something else for a living had a bigger effect on his output than any cleverness requirement.

Mike

#581618 - 12/30/10 05:28 PM Re: Comics Distribution: An Historical View and Pr [Re: MBunge]

There are many more good writers who can't draw and good artists who can't write than people who can do both.

Do you really want to get into Mike Hoffman's "incomplete creator" argument? That's always good for a laugh.

As artist X finishes one issue, writer Y can be working on the next. Seriously? How is that concept not easy to grasp?

Because you're assuming that I'm talking about Neal Adams art, which I'm not.

Breaking a job down into component parts almost always leads to quicker and easier completion.

And the surest way to get a flawed product.

Page 21 of 38 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 37 38 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley