Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#207107 - 01/25/00 07:20 PM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Rory D. Root Offline

Loc: Berkeley,Ca.,USA
You would like Comic Relief very much Bill.

#207108 - 01/25/00 08:11 PM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
Would not! Comic Relief is full of doody-heads!

#207109 - 01/25/00 08:56 PM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Rory D. Root Offline

Besides the DOODY HEADS collection so derided by Mr. Hanley, we also have the largest graphic novel selection under one roof. So there!

#207110 - 01/25/00 08:58 PM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Chris Juricich Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA USA
The irrepressible Jim H said...

Would not! Comic Relief is full of doody-heads!

And I'm one of 'em, Jim! As time allows I'll go in there to find myself discussing comics, film, and all the rest of the world's unpleasant personal habits. A good number of doody-heads, but what else can you expect in a funny book store?

#207111 - 01/31/00 02:47 AM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
John Roberson Offline

Loc: Chicago
Spending a lot of time surveying stores brings to mind the scene in (I can't remember the name of the play/movie) where the Jack Lemmon character spends lots of time selling to an elderly couple who turn out to be just lonely.

David Mamet & James Foley, "Glengarry Glen Ross"

Comic Relief certainly has the most KNOWLEDGEABLE staff of "doody-heads" of any store I've ever been into, plus they're one of the most generous supporters of small-press folk. So nyah.

Of course, their habit of throwing knives at the customers is a bit distracting, but once you get past that they're a fine group of people... [img]http://207.69.158.95/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
http://members.delphi.com/JOHNROBERSON/index.html

#207112 - 02/04/00 01:22 AM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
I knew there was dirt out there on Comic Relief!

------------------
"I love him like a brother. David Greenglas." -- Woody Allen - Crimes & Misdemeanors

#207113 - 02/04/00 04:22 AM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Rory D. Root Offline

What? John you didn't like our FLYING KARAMOZOF BROTHERS revue?

#207114 - 02/04/00 01:50 PM Re: Selling trade collections exclusively?
Greg McElhatton Offline

Loc: Vienna, VA
Reading James's post about comic stores makes me thankful that I shop at a very good store (which is another very heavy pusher of trade paperbacks; Big Planet Comics in Vienna, VA), but also hammers home what I think so many stores suffer from: they're not run by businesspeople, they're run by fans.

It's why so many stores look like a pigsty; to the owner, the comic store is an extension of their basement. It's all good and dandy to have a friendly, laid back atmosphere, but it's something else to have an atmosphere that repells people.

Likewise, the ordering of books. It never ceases to amaze me how many times I would go into other stores--that at the time I had a subscription with!--and ask about specific books. "Oh, we aren't going to order that," they'd reply. Nevermind that I was saying that I wanted that book. I was going to buy it. Nope, they weren't ordering it. Which part of "guaranteed sale" wasn't sinking in?

The best thing I ever heard (and I wish I could remember who said it) was in response to one store owner saying that he wouldn't order any more GREEN LANTERN comics because they killed off Hal Jordan and he didn't like GL. "Somehow," the person replied (and then I paraphrased), "I can't see a grocery store owner deciding that he didn't like milk and then not ordering it. If your customers want milk... order milk."

I've heard enough good things about Ralph's store out in Vegas to know that if he decided to open a book store that carried comic collections, it would do well. I can think of some other retailers/stores (Jim Hanley/Jim Hanley's Universe, Greg Bennett/Big Planet Comics) that would do well.

But most owners out there just don't have the business mindset. This isn't a hobby, guys. It's a store. Run it like one.

------------------
Greg McElhatton: http://www.gregmce.com
The EXPO/SPX 2000 * iComics Daily Reviews

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley