Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207206 - 01/27/00 11:11 AM Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made the first public mention of Unbound Comics a few months ago on these bulleting boards, presenting it as a publisher of e-text comic books. Since then, building on what I learned from the initial reactions of creators, I have been restructuring the company. This post briefly lays out how creators can benefit from the final results of that restructuring, a company that combines the best attributes of publishers, distributors, and retailers with the marketing and content-delivery potential of the internet. Fuller details can be found at www.unboundcomics.com.

Unbound Comics is built around the distribution of e-text versions of comic books. If you have a comic book that we would like to include in our catalog, we will contract with you for 1 year of exclusive distribution rights to an e-text version of your comic book. We contract only for the e-text rights, leaving you free to continue publishing and distributing paper versions. In fact, we will give you a site on our server complete with access to our payment processing architecture, which will allow you to sell paper versions of your comic book, original art, and any other title-related merchandise over the web. In addition, as our advertisements will be based around the titles in our catalog, you will also experience the benefits of a free national ad campaign for your comic book.

A quick look at the numbers:
A typical self-published comic book with a cover price of $2.95 sells to Diamond for $1.18, 60% off the price paid by the reader. After you subtract printing costs of $.35 to $.50, you are left with between $.68 and $.83 profit.
An e-text version of that same comic book sells directly to the reader on UnboundComics.Com for $1.25, almost 60% off cover. We keep $.25 from the sale of each book, leaving you with $1.00 profit. The e-texts are secured from piracy by encryption that allows them to be read only on the unique copy of the reader program used to open them. Back issues are kept in the catalog, allowing you to generate revenue on a book well beyond its week as a “new” book.

That’s an outline of what we’re offering. Take a look at our web site for the full details and let me know what you think.

(Final note for those wondering where Benjamin Quinn is: Benjamin Quinn is a pen name that I have been using for some time, and, when I decided to start Unbound Comics, I chose to use that name for it as well. However, from a legal and accounting standpoint, it has simply become easier to work under my given name, so that’s what I’m doing.)

#207207 - 01/28/00 09:56 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Aaron, I just tried to e-mail you to tell you we reported on Unbound Comics on today's SPLASH, but the address here and on the site both bounced back!

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#207208 - 01/29/00 01:15 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Bill Willingham Offline

Loc: rutland, vermont, usa
Aaron;

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you asked for some feedback. I noticed that there is almost nothing on your site about who you are and what experience (if any) you've had in the comics industry, and any of the various other things one might say, if you were trying to introduce yourself in person, rather than through message boards and web pages.

Personally, all my warning alarms go off when (and it's happened) some new publisher has walked up to me and started right off talking possible publishing deal and payments and royalties, before ever going through any of the standard social conventions.

I don't attribute this to any lack of manners on your part, nor do I presume you to be some kind os slick operator who doesn't want too many details of his past to play any part in deal making. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that net-life is still brand new and we are still working out the social rules which will apply, but I really think some type of personal introduction, of each major member of your business, should be added to your site in some easy to find place.

I wouldn't bother calling attention to this if I didn't think you are posing an interesting deal, one which I'd like to know more about.

Of course you may be so well known in the funnybook business that you don't need to introduce yourself. I've been out of the loop for years. If that is the case, boy is there egg on my face.

Bill Willingham

And, to avoid a charge of hypocracy, I believe there is plenty of information about who I am on my web site. You can find it below if you are of the mind to go look. There is also info about me on my booth site in this comicon thingie. It's a bit out of date, but what are we going to do? I'm so much of a computer idiot I can't seem to work out how to update it.

------------------
My Page: www.clockworkstorybook.com

#207209 - 01/29/00 05:23 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just saw the article on Splash, Rick--thanks! I sent a message to my (supposedly very reputable) ISP about the earlier e-mail problem; sorry about the inconvenience experienced by you and anyone else who tried to get through. Everything seems to working again, but I'll keep a close eye on it.

Thanks for your feedback, Bill. You make a good point, especially considering the bad track record of start-ups in this industry. I will add a section about me to the site this afternoon. In the meantime, I'll just say briefly that I have been reading comics for 12 years and making them a part of my studies for the last 6, first as an undergraduate in English at Indiana University then as a graduate student in comparative literature at UCLA. I have been writing for as long as I can remember but have only just recently begun producing work that I think is worth publishing. Unbound Comics really grew out of my work as a writer. I began to look around at how I could make a living by getting my work out to readers and (like a lot of creators) wasn't satisfied with my options. That started me thinking and, a year later, Unbound Comics is the result. I anticipated caution on the part of other creators, especially in this business and considering the fact that I am not a known entity in the industry. Therefore, I have tried to set Unbound Comics up in such a way that creators aren't taking any risks by taking a chance on a new idea.

Thanks again for the comments,

Aaron

#207210 - 01/29/00 04:43 PM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Bill Willingham Offline

Thanks for the reply, Aaron;

But there isn't a publisher that can set up a system where the creator doesn't take ANY risks by working with them.

The biggest risk any freelancer takes with any publisher is: when it's time for the checks to come, do the checks come? Granted, you've removed many of the concerns we might have, but that one never goes away.

------------------

#207211 - 01/29/00 07:12 PM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are absolutely right--that concern never goes away, and in our industry it has been proven an all too legitimate concern time and again. Once we begin publishing, it will be easy to see that we are reputable. Until then, I will do whatever I can to make creators feel that they are taking the smallest possible risk by working with us. If you have any suggestions about how I can accomplish this, I would be happy to hear them.

Aaron

#207212 - 01/29/00 09:43 PM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Bill Willingham Offline

My first suggestion is never sign and never insist on any non-disclosure agreements. In the foolishness of my youth I thought they were a sound business practice, protecting both parties. I have found through long and bitter experience they are a tool for the most evil sorts of mischief, and often result in letting one side cheat the other.

------------------

#207213 - 01/30/00 02:20 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Michael McNeil Offline

Loc: Annapolis, MD USA
Aaron,

From your description of the process, are you planning on using something like Adobe's PDF Merchant software?

-Mike

#207214 - 01/30/00 04:16 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

In response to Bill's comment about non-disclosure agreements--consider it done.

In response to Mike's question--yes, I am planning to use something like Adobe PDF Merchant. In fact, I am close to committing to that product but am waiting until I can work through some talks with Adobe. In my opinion, since Unbound Comics would be bringing people in their 20s and 30s to the Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0, thereby helping Adobe become the e-text reader platform of choice among an incredibly popular demographic group, it might be in Adobe's best interest to create some sort of limited partnership with us.

Aaron

#207215 - 01/30/00 03:35 PM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Jim Ramsey Offline

Are you planning to act as just the distributor, or as a publisher? For example, will you only accept finished work and then distribute it through the site, or will you put together artists and writers to produce an eComic?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley