Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#207226 - 02/01/00 02:29 PM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Aaron, WAY COOL PROJECT you got going! I love it!! Think there's a way I can link some of your creators thru my small press page?

#207227 - 02/03/00 10:29 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
SebastienCaisse Offline

Loc: Alma
(Jeff)> If you want to try an in-between thing, try laying out your pages as if they were two half-pages, top and bottom. While this will diminish your splash pages, it will make it so you can break your 24-page print comic into a 48-screen web comic, and the aspect ratio is exactly correct -- 6:4.5 = 4:3, just like your monitor. The half-page can be zoomed to "Fit to Screen" with the Acrobat window maximized, and it should be clearly readable. While some may see this as a restriction on their artistic layout, I'm going to try to look at it as a challenge. Of course a few full-page splashes aren't going to hurt...

---

It's the format I'm now using. I find it to be as restrictive as the comic page format is when compared to 11"x17". In other words: not at all. We're just not used to it yet. I can also create in full color without having to worry about prohibitive printing costs.

I also keep the images and the baloons + lettering separate until the end. For a PDF, overlay the word baloons using Quark or InDesign. For HTML, turn your JPEG into an image map with JavaScript MouseRollOver effects, so that the text will pop up if you point to a word baloon icon (much smaller than the real thing) that you insert in the image or in margins. That way, you get a "readable" 72dpi JPEG comic page, and some interactivity with the reader.

Since PDF comes with an eCommerce suite, it looks like the better option for now. But add JavaScript (or a 300dpi screen) to OeB and you get a good competitor to PDF for eComics.

Sébastien

#207228 - 02/04/00 08:46 AM Re: Distribution option for self and small publishers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad you like the idea, Jack. Why don't you send me an e-mail and we'll see what we can do.

Aaron
athacker@unboundcomics.com

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley