Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208021 - 05/26/00 05:00 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
TonyDiGerolamo Offline

Loc: Laurel Springs, NJ USA
Fret not, Fan boys!

Although Comic Attitudes was a fine store, there are alternatives. Visit my pals at Adventure Planet with two locations! One in Somerville and the other in Edison, NJ!

908-704-8910 (Somerville)
732-494-2343 (Edison)

Tell them, Tony of the Jersey Devil and The Travelers comics sent you!

------------------

#208022 - 05/26/00 09:25 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
jwasserman Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, originally
So, Mr. Sokol, you say that the dual contradictory arguments I posed about Comic Attitudes were both correct. I should've become a lawyer!

And Mr. DiGerolamo, where's this funny book store in Edison, NJ that you mentioned? I used to live in that burg for ten years. Are you perhaps referring to the shop located on the lower level of the Shop Rite shopping center on Oak Tree Road? It's a fine shop, but you couldn't pay me any sort of money to work my way through all the traffic in the area to go to northern Edison. Even when I lived in the town I used to frequent Tommy's Comics in Metuchen, NJ.

As for Somerwille, NJ, I recall a great comics shop on a side street off of the main drag which later moved to the town's main street. The family and I used to go up there for the annual street fair, but we haven't done that in years. Is this the shop you're referring to?

Nowadays I pick up all my comics and those for my kids from Chameleon Comics near my office in Manhattan with an occasional trip to an oversized hole in the wall comics shop in Old Bridge, NJ.

-JHW

#208023 - 05/26/00 10:07 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
What? You never visit my fine establishment?

#208024 - 05/27/00 06:58 AM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
jwasserman Offline

Good grief, Jim! Yes, I certainly do visit your enormous and incredibly well-stocked shop behind the Empire State Building on 33 Street off of Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. ((Free plug))

It's just that it's not exactly near my Wall Street work environs. I go there three or four times a year during a l-o-n-g break from lunch. (I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Chameleon Comics!) I go to your shop to check out comics and related publications I may have missed.

I used to drop by your old shop near the Staten Island Rail Road station occasionally while en route from NJ to Brooklyn.

My kids still talk about the visit to your 33rd Street shop more often than the trip up to the top of the Empire State Building! They were able to pick up all the Sonic the Hedgehog and Sabrina comics they had missed.

The last time I was in your shop the clerk at the cash register was talking to you over the phone. I should have told him to say hello to you for me. Heh-heh!

-JHW

------------------
-Jeffrey H. Wasserman
Visitors to my website are always welcome!
http://www.homestead.com/JachSpake/JachSpake.html

#208025 - 05/27/00 02:05 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
Jim Hanley Offline

Sorry, Jeff. We all get needy, now and then.

Just 4 times a year, though?

------------------
"I love him like a brother. David Greenglas." -- Woody Allen - Crimes & Misdemeanors

#208026 - 05/27/00 05:01 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
TonyDiGerolamo Offline

Loc: Laurel Springs, NJ USA
I am referring to the very same Shop Rite shop in Edison. If you're shopping in Manhattan, the choices are endless! Jim Hanley's, Forbidden Planet, Midtown, Cosmic Comics, It's "A" Nother Hit, St. Mark's... I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch.

Have you tried the comic shop locator service through Diamond? It's not comprehensive, but it occassionally lists stores that are very new.

There's also Boyhood Dreams Dunellen, NJ and MC Comics and Cards in Old Bridge, NJ.

If you need copies of Jersey Devil and The Travelers (and who DOESN'T?), check out my website for a list of fine, fine stores all over the country. http://www.netcom.com/~thefix/sjrp.html

------------------

#208027 - 05/28/00 07:28 AM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
jwasserman Offline

Tony:
When we lived in Edison we used to go to Dunnellen quite frequently for a wonderful Chinese restaurant on North Avenue off of Washington Avenue. The comics shop you mention is right on the corner. It was a direct trip, due north of us on Route 529, aka Stelton/Washington. Unfortunately, the Chinese restaurant decided to specialize in Chinese seafood (not to my liking) and we relocated further south.

Yes, I take the kids to MC Comics occasionally so that they can browse the racks and see what's being published. Lately the nearby 7-11 disposed of its comics spinner and the local Rite-Aid pharmacy stopped selling comics. The 7-11 now has four comics titles at most on display and the space where the spinner stood remains vacant. The Rite-Aid used to have something like nine feet of shelving reserved for comics, an uneconomical usage of sales space in my mind.

Jim-
Sorry, but I just can't get up to your midtown location in Manhattan from my workplace on Wall Street more often than I do. It's not because I cannot take a lot of l-o-n-g lunch breaks (the fact of the matter is that I take a l-o-t of them), it's just that I frequently have a lot of errands to run during lunch; the fate of the commuter.
Now if you'd have opened a satellite location on Chambers Street near Stuyvesant High School you'd see me patronizing you more often. St. Marks Comics recently opened a shop on Chambers just a few doors over from where a previous comics shop went belly up, making me doubt this location's viability.

Wait a minute!!! Good grief! That was your shop that closed on Chambers Street!

I'm so embarrassed!

-JHW

------------------
-Jeffrey H. Wasserman
Visitors to my website are always welcome! http://www.homestead.com/JachSpake/JachSpake.html

[This message has been edited by jwasserman (edited 05-28-2000).]

#208028 - 05/28/00 01:19 PM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
Jim Hanley Offline

Jeff:

It wasn't that our Chambers Street store went belly up, so much as that our company almost did.

Chain store operation is essentially a different field than retailing. There came a point that our talents stopped being congruent with our need for same. We were stuck in an awkward place, just as the boom started to bust. Four stores is not a good number to stay at. It was OK, as long as we were theoretically headed for 15. Once that became an unreasonable target, we needed to decide where our core competencies lay.

We took at least a year too long in that decision making process and, as a result, almost lost the whole business.

When I heard tha St. Mark's was opening on Chambers Street, I was happy that our former customers would have someplace convenient to shop. I wish Mitch well in his quest to go where we decided not to. That is, into the chain store business.

[This message has been edited by Jim Hanley (edited 05-28-2000).]

#208029 - 05/29/00 07:56 AM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
jwasserman Offline

I agree. Having a chain of stores requires deployment of management and organization skills not seen in a one store operation.

Warehousing, distribution, and managerial costs are better justified with a larger amount of locations. Otherwise, these "corporate" overhead costs can overwhelm a small chain. These costs can't be allocated or charged to specific shops as they would distort the individual shops' profitability. In other words, you couldn't determine how succesful a particular shop in a small chain is if you saddle it with the costs of such coporate overhead. The manager of that particular shop wouldn't want to be burdened with any costs above that of a single, stand-alone comic shop as it would impact his perceived performance in the eyes of senior management.

If this sounds like I do this for a business... well, it's because I do! I'm forever justifying (or trying to justify) why we bean-counters allocate corporate overhead (ie- chairman's salary, HR, PR, chauffeurs(!)) to sales offices and branches. It drives the office managers crazy, but they've got to accept corporate overhead if they expect to be a part of a large organization.

To the extent that corporate overhead overwhelms the benefits gained, you either have to cut back said expense or spread it over a greater base. In other words, contract or expand. In my company such adjustments are done routinely and it's always irksome and painful to see folks' responsibilities or their employment itself altered.

-JHW

#208030 - 05/31/00 11:43 AM Re: Comics Attitude shop in New Brunswick, NJ closes
Rich Henn Offline

Loc: Eldersburg, MD USA
It's so hard to find a decent shop with attentive customer service. I can name shops out here in MD that are the worst, but for every horrible shop there's 5 good ones.

[This message has been edited by Rich Henn (edited 05-31-2000).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley