Topic Options
#210642 - 10/04/02 10:26 AM The Small Press Association
AIPman1 Offline

Loc: Madison, OH
Hello all,
My name is Ian Shires, and I've been in the small press comics scene since 1986. Perhaps some of you know me, though I suspect most here do not. I run a company called Dimestore Productions, and through it run a news/review magazine called Obscurity Unlimited. We've been quietly developing an order-forwarding system through the magazine and our website that supports it. It currently passes on around $75.00 a month to small press publishers. Not much, but a start. Recently, we were handed the idea to start a Pick of the Month club, and run it through the magazine. It's given us the opportunity to make deals to buy publications at 40% of cover from dozens of publishers, and we've tacked on a 'distribution list' for comic stores who have been reading OU to learn what small press comics are worth checking out to be able to purchase them at 50% of cover. These are all publications that would not be found in Previews, or any major distributor's lists.

We feel like we have the edge to bring forth a new kind of distribution avenue for small press publishers, and would like some feedback and comments. You can check out our whole operation at: www.dimestoreproductions.com
I know for the most part, we're way under the radar of being a distributor. However, as this new Pick of the month idea is taking shape and getting attention, we feel that we will be able to bring to light many new publishers whose comics have never been seen in a store before, that haven't got a real shot or the resources to go through larger channels. Any we'd be very interested in what people here have to say.

#210643 - 10/10/02 02:02 PM Re: The Small Press Association
chindrgn Offline

Loc: New York
So is your company trying to be a distributor for small press/self publishing comic creators? If so, what can I do to get my comic that I plan on printing to be part of your list?

Cindy

#210644 - 10/11/02 04:59 PM Re: The Small Press Association
Gregory Zura Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Having a description of each title and cover pics will help sell more books (if that's what you want to do).

#210645 - 10/15/02 02:57 PM Re: The Small Press Association
AIPman1 Offline

Loc: Madison, OH
Here's our submissions page, for those who want to get their comics listed and reviewed in our system: http://www.dimestoreproductions.com/Obscurity/Submitting.htm

Um, we have reviews and cover pics with each review. Check it out!

Also, check out the new thread we just posted about printing comics...

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley