Don't know where else to post this, so here goes...

Took in my first-ever comic show when I visited Mid Ohio Con in Columbus OH on Nov. 30. Event was held at a nice hotel and hosted 60 retailers, 20 small publishers and a variety of comics pros and Star Wars/Buffy-type celebrities. Plus the requisite former Playboy bunnies.

Had a swell time dumpster-diving in the 3/$1 boxes. Even upscaled to the 3/$5 selections for a while. Now realize I occupy one of the lowest levels of collecting strata, driven by the attempt to get swell comics for pennies. Most I spent was $3 for either a Creeper or Defenders. It about killed me.

But judging from the jockeying for position I had to do with fellow dumpster divers at the tables and to check out the boxes on the floor, I am not alone in the gutter.

Said brief hellos to pros Sergio Aragones, Tom Mandrake and our good friend Tony Isabella. Also met Mile High Comics owner Chuck Rozanski. All were very friendly and cordial. Listened in on panel sessions with Len Wein, Bill Messner-Loebs and a bunch of new guys I didn't recognize. Saw Dick Giordano and for some reason was shocked that he was a 75-year-old, gray-haired man.

Show scored relatively low on the freakmeter. Saw a pair of klingons on the way in, and later saw various stromtroopers, as well as Spider-Man (guy needed to hit the gym), Black Cat, Green Goblin, Batgirl and Catwoman. Good # of middle-aged or older attendees, which helped the 23-year-old show set an attendance record, but may not bode well for the future of the hobby.

All in all, a fun time. Also worked out well for my sister-in-law's husband, who accompanied me and was able to talk a dealer down on a pair of Hogan's Heroes figures - Col. Hogan and Col. Klink.

Any one else check out this event? How does it compare to other shows?