Topic Options
#211750 - 04/19/07 09:44 AM To Internet Or InterNOT
1234qwer Offline

I'm one of those silly boys who sells comics online--mostly through eBay, but also through a couple of other websites. I do OK--and it's fun. More money is coming in than going out, and my time in my small warehouse 'working' is...well...hardly that to me.

What I don't understand are the comics retailers who AREN'T selling online; particularly those with a solid retail setting in a brick-n-mortar location. I see comic book retailers who are moaning about their diminished back-issue sales because of the internet...about how much overstock they have in their rooms that's just sitting there gathering dust...why don't they blow it out online?

A piece of my business is dealing with some retailers around the Bay Area, buying their old Diamond overstock and so forth, and then putting it together to sell online. Not just Diamond overstock, but the crap that piles up in their storerooms over the months and years that could be turned into cash. One store in San Jose I know lets me come by every several months and I buy out that 'stuff' back there--and turn it into cash online.

My query--why don't they do it themselves? I'm making thousands of dollars a year in sales. It seems that many comics stores COULD be doing what I've done--it wouldn't take all that much time and money from one of their staff to be the 'online seller dude', but then, I've not worked retail for years now (*thank god) so who knows>?

tokyodays

http://stores.ebay.com/Tokyo-Days-COMICS

#211751 - 04/20/07 10:23 AM Re: To Internet Or InterNOT
Dagwan Offline

As a newbie retailer, I can't really speak as to why some who have been around awhile aren't doing it. I know why I'm not doing it (yet), and that's the time it takes to do it. I'm already working 60 hours a week in my storefront, and I have a family. I don't even have significant help in-store. (I have one employee who works about 5-10 hours a week) Having spent time selling other items on ebay in the past, I know how much time it takes just to deal with the listings and payment management, and shipping items out in a timely manner. I just don't have that kind of time.

I agree that it's both a good way to rid yourself of dead inventory, and a way to generate some quick cash-flow.

Will I sell online in the future? It's in my business plan, but not for a while.

Anyone else?

"While we were there, we took some pictures of the native girls, but they're not developed yet, so we're going back next spring"-Groucho Marx

#211752 - 04/20/07 10:26 AM Re: To Internet Or InterNOT
Dagwan Offline

BTW, Chris, I always enjoy reading your letters in CBG!

"While we were there, we took some pictures of the native girls, but they're not developed yet, so we're going back next spring"-Groucho Marx

#211753 - 04/30/07 03:12 PM Re: To Internet Or InterNOT
Dustman Offline

I agree, Chris. My store is a little light right now because I'm going to the Planet Comicon in KC this week, but, in the past, my store has kept me from getting a part-time job.

http://stores.ebay.com/Unpossible-Comics

Especially for a brick and mortar store where cash flow is king, I would think an ebay store would be extremely attractive.

#211754 - 05/24/07 10:23 AM Re: To Internet Or InterNOT
geedis Offline

Loc: AZ
I've tried to sell from my collection several times and never got a bite. When I check eBay to see what's selling, the comics I have never seem to be selling very well. The money is still in very old collectible comics, but most of what I want to sell is from the past twenty years.

After awhile I realized I was losing a lot more money than I would have brought in. It's getting so I'm willing to let them go cheap to get them out of the damn house.

#211755 - 07/02/07 11:54 PM Re: To Internet Or InterNOT
King of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Under a Pile of Dirt
Comics are only meaningful as you make em

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley