THE EMPTY SPACES #2: He wants WHAT???
-----------------------------------
A Psychodrama Spacefiller
By Bradly E. Peterson

Hey Yah'll!

Last week we spoke about getting the story together. Now, what happens to the story? Well, it goes to the artist, of course! Now, I'm sure that many artists can tell true horror stories about the scripts, or the poor excuses for scripts that they sometimes get. "What? What's wrong with my script??? Damned artists, just can't do what the hell they're told! Why, I oughta..." heh...

Let's be honest... Not every script is going to be perfect. And usually, the artist is going to have a good grasp of what will work well visually, and what will not. That artist guy may have some damn fine ideas on how to help the story move along, so you writers out there keep your minds open.

Let's say that you've gotten a script that has the first page laid out like so:

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

PAGE TEN
------------------
PANEL ONE: The cowboy looks up to see the entire Mescalero nation has him pinned down.

COWBOY: "WELL, I'LL BE A THREE-TOED TREE SLOTH!"
------------------
PANEL TWO: The entire Mescalero nation stands on the canyon wall with phasers set on "cinnamon toast". They are shouting and some are waving banners above their heads saying "Go Redskins!" and "John 3:16" and "HI MOM!". There is a squadron of buzzards circling over the Cowboy's head as he looks up. The Outlaws are riding hard into the mouth of the canyon on the left side of the panel shouting and shooting (I can't let them catch me! er... Sorry. Started channelling the ghost of Marty Robbins for a second there. heh...), and hauling bazookas and submachine guns with about seventy-five Pershing Tanks in the distance closing in as well. The outlaws, of which there are eighty are 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 Caucasian, 1/4 Chinese & 1/4 Armenian/Dutch.

Separate Word balloons from outlaws: "THERE HE EES! GIT HEEM!" "YEEHAW!" "BASTID OWES ME TWENNY DOLLAHS!" "BADGERS? BADGERS? WE DON' NEED NO STEEENKEENG BADGERS!!"

COWBOY: "NOT ONLY HAVE THE OUTLAWS AND THE POSTAL INSPECTOR TANK BRIGADE FOUND ME, BUT THE ENTIRE MESCALERO NATION IS UP THAR ON YONDER CANYON WALL!"
------------------
PANEL THREE: The cowboy draws his pistol.
------------------
PANEL FOUR: Close up of the pistol.
------------------
PANEL FIVE: Cowboy opens the thing that spins around that you put the bullets in, and sees that there are only three bullets in the gun.
------------------
PANEL SIX: Cowboy looks at the Mescaleros
------------------
PANEL SEVEN: Cowboy looks at pistol
------------------
PANEL EIGHT: Cowboy looks at Outlaws
------------------
PANEL NINE: Cowboy looks at pistol.
------------------
PANEL TEN: Cowboy looks at Postal Inspector Tank Brigade
------------------
PANEL ELEVEN: Cowboy looks at pistol.
------------------
PANEL TWELVE: Cowboy closes pistol as he jumps out into the center of the canyon

COWBOY: "NOW, (BOLD) THAT'S (END BOLD) WHAT I CALL A FAIR FIGHT!"
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

This is where the artist says: "He wants WHAT???? Where's my pistol?" heh...

Now, it's YOUR turn. What the heck's wrong with that page? I'll be posting a followup to this column this coming week, so get to work! Oh, and if any of you artists want to try actually drawing this page, feel free. The frustration and futility is good practice for tax-time. heh...

NEXT TIME: What the hell's wrong with THAT page?
NEXT WEEK: you'll find out... heh, heh, heh...

(The contents of "The Empty Spaces" do not neccessarily reflect those of COMICON.com, it's managers, members, friends or relatives, and are solely those of Bradly E. Peterson, who is, quite frankly, a bit off. All contents are 1998 Bradly E. Peterson, and should not be used without permission, but ask and ye shall recieve. He's easy, that guy. "The Empty Spaces" is a Psychodrama Press production, and let's just leave it at that.)

------------------
Bradly E. Peterson
Psychodrama Press
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
(Albert Einstein)
http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/drama/

[This message has been edited by Bradly E Peterson (edited 11-23-98).]
(Albert Einstein)
www.fastlane.net/homepages/drama/