Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#211802 - 12/18/98 03:28 AM Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Anonymous
Unregistered

This isn't entirely on topic for the creating comics section, but I've put up some rough scans of eleven nudes drawn from the live model in charcoal.

Along with the usual petty motivations of vanity, greed and exhibitionistic masochism, I've another reason for doing this. I've gotten tired of the sceptical expression I see when I recommend life-drawing to someone whose portfolio I'm critiquing. With any luck, this will help change the perception an increasing number of young artists seem to have, that drawing the living figure is something you might do in one or two freshman art classes before moving on to working from imagination, photography or "poser" software.

I believe there's something to be gained from the living, breathing presence of the model, that photogaphic reference, for all its convenience and flexibility, can't match. The drawing is often warmer and more sympathetic to the quirks of light and gravity and human flesh, and will reflect the artist's reactions to the vital person he or she is drawing, not just the patterns of highlight and shadow. And the artist comes away with a storehouse of new information that will enrich later work executed from imagination or photo-reference

Much of the worth of these drawings is, of course, lost when you shrink down the charcoal originals on a photocopier, then scan them at 72 dpi for viewing on a computer monitor, but with any luck, some of the spirit of the originals will still come through.
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/lifedrawingindex.html

Steve Lieber

------------------
My web page: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/
WHITEOUT #4 now in stores
Preview of WHITEOUT #1 at http://www.easystreet.com/~kodiak/Whiteout.html

#211803 - 12/22/98 12:00 AM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
MarkBadger Offline

Hi Steve,
Life drawing yeah, that's pretty off topic for a creating comics section allright. Nice pics though, were they all twenty minute sessions or longer poses? Funny how they have some kind of shaggy Kubert type realism in them, in the feet and hands.
Actually if I was advising young people to get into comics I would suggest tracing photos instead of life drawing. I think editors are buying a kinda of stiff tight drawing these days and life drawing just doeswn't give them that artificial look comic book editors like.
Anyways I was reading a book by Shamus Culhane on animation and he recommended Nicoladies book on drawing for creating quick instant sketches. Dug thru the piles of books at home and couldn't find it. I read it in art school but that was a looooonng time ago. Do you have any long lost memories of what his theory of quick gesture figures was?
Is it the ball head and a line of movement thing or something else?

OT as you can get I geuss

Mark Badger
www.lemoncustard.com

cyber comics to weird to print

#211804 - 12/22/98 12:00 AM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
MarkBadger Offline

Hi Steve,
Life drawing yeah, that's pretty off topic for a creating comics section allright. Nice pics though, were they all twenty minute sessions or longer poses? Funny how they have some kind of shaggy Kubert type realism in them, in the feet and hands.
Actually if I was advising young people to get into comics I would suggest tracing photos instead of life drawing. I think editors are buying a kinda of stiff tight drawing these days and life drawing just doeswn't give them that artificial look comic book editors like.
Anyways I was reading a book by Shamus Culhane on animation and he recommended Nicoladies book on drawing for creating quick instant sketches. Dug thru the piles of books at home and couldn't find it. I read it in art school but that was a looooonng time ago. Do you have any long lost memories of what his theory of quick gesture figures was?
Is it the ball head and a line of movement thing or something else?

OT as you can get I geuss

Mark Badger
www.lemoncustard.com

cyber comics to weird to print

#211805 - 12/23/98 03:06 AM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Anonymous
Unregistered

The poses were ususally about half an hour, although a couple are only five minutes.

I've never gotten around to picking up "The Natural Way to Draw." Surprizing really considering what a maniac collector I am when it comes to how-to-draw books.

I'm actually kind of sorry the Kubert influence is still visible. That's something I'm trying to shake off. Having sat next to him week after week in the evening extra-curricular life-drawing sessions had a really powerful impact on me, but I want to get to the point where people won't be able to immediately spot JK in my drawing.

SL

------------------
Preview of WHITEOUT #1 at www.easystreet.com/~kodiak/Whiteout.html
WHITEOUT #4 now in stores. An on-going follow-up series is in the works.

#211806 - 12/26/98 12:12 PM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Marshall M Dillon Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hi, this is Marshall's friend Josh Ellingson.
I coudn't agree more with Steve's opinion that life-drawing is important. Photo references are great for quick reference but there is a depth that is lost without the understanding of REAL light, shadow, and weight. Many young artists don't get the oportunity to draw nudes or feel weird doing so. I used to think it was kind of pointless for really cartoony artists to draw from life. Then I realized, after seeing the improvements life-drawing was having on my work, that in order to master abstraction of the human form, you have to know what the human form really looks like. Anyway, right-on Steve. Cool drawings too! See ya.

-Josh Ellingson
ninjaduck@hotmail.com

#211807 - 12/30/98 11:43 PM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Marshall M Dillon Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hey guys.

This is Marshall Dillon.. NOT JOSH....

Well, Steve is a GREAT artist.. Do doubts!..

Say Steve, I wanted to get your opinion of my color work at mid-Ohio, but you weren't around when I came buy(with my work.

I did, However, stop buy (without it) and chat with you some.(I was the guy with the Band-Aid on his forehead-That's right.. The zit story)

Well, I was wondering what your "touring" schedual might look like for the comming year, so I can get your opinion on my work.

As well, any chance of you holding Life drawing classes?? Your "Lifes" kick, and I'd like to learn from you...

All that said.. Do you live in Michigan? I thought you did at one time.....

Ramble..ramble...

Chat later

Marshall M. Dillon

#211808 - 12/31/98 03:07 PM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep a list of conventions I plan to attend on my web page at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/appearances.html The only confirmed ones (read this as the only ones that I've bought a plne ticket for) are New Orleans and Orlando, but its likely I'll be at most of the others.

I'm not in Michigan anymore. I'm in Portland, Oregon. Motor-City is still on my convention list though, in the spring at least.

As for teaching, I've been taking on some students up here, but nothing formal. I did run a life drawing seminar at Heroes Con in Charlotte, along with Scott Hampton, Jeff Parker and Ray Lago, and I'd enjoy repeating that again sometime.

------------------

#211809 - 01/02/99 05:40 AM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've added another dozen images to my life drawing gallery at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/lifedrawingindex.html .

And thanks to some helpful advice from a number of samaritans, I've been able to halve the image size (and thus the load time) for the entire gallery.

Lieber

(Steve C: If you're lurking, and would prefer I didn't put these pointers here, let me know.)

------------------

#211810 - 01/13/99 09:33 PM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
Skinshark Offline

Loc: Athens, Georgia
Sorry Mark I don't agree with you telling young people to start tracing from photographs. It may lend itself to speeding you along to meet a deadline but it's a bad way to build your art skills. You need a strong foundation before you start taking up crutches and improvising. If you start off from the outset to trace that means you're only as good as your reference. I know people who suffer from a certain inconsistency because they have to pull through where there is no reference causing a real break up in the art and story. Sure you can photograph what you need but if you can't draw correctly to begin with it's going to show. That of course depends on the "style" you're shooting for. I think you have to come along way though to make your lack of foundation look like a convincing style. That of course is my humble opinion, with all due respects.

#211811 - 01/14/99 03:13 PM Re: Lieber's web gallery of life-drawing
marcel Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Nice drawings Steve. I'd agree with you that life drawing is important, but I'd also add that one of the main reasons that it is important is because it refines your ability to see/perceive (in general). Otherwise you'll always be stuck drawing things based on (dim) preconceptions rather than on (much more vibrant) perceptions.

------------------
--
Marcel Guldemond
Aporia Press
http:\\aporia.brainmade.com
http://aporia.brainmade.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley