Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212275 - 03/28/99 02:00 AM Some Lieber pitch pages.
Anonymous
Unregistered

In case anyone is interested, I've posted five pages from a series proposal that Dave Rawson and I are pitching to various big, scary corporate publishers. The series stretches across much of the 19th century into the beginning of the twentieth. This sequence is set in the old west.

My freeware scanning software doesn't have a setting that can get me clean repro of my lettering, and shooting at 72 dpi does fascinating things to my crosshatching, but the pages her should give anyone interested an idea of what my art in the series would look like.

If anyone cares to sound off about the work, go for it. It might make for a nice change of pace from arguing about the relative ranking of Seattle's favorite funnybooks.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/shepherd1.html

Steve Lieber

------------------
My web page: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/
Preview of WHITEOUT #1 at www.easystreet.com/~kodiak/Whiteout.html
WHITEOUT tpb ships in May. A sequel is coming later this year.

[This message has been edited by Steve Lieber (edited 03-28-99).]

[This message has been edited by Steve Lieber (edited 03-28-99).]

#212276 - 03/28/99 02:18 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh- I should note that the pages are about 100k each. If that's too much for your connection, don't click. Life's too short.

#212277 - 03/28/99 07:51 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Beautiful stuff, Steve! I can't wait 'til the trade paperback of Whiteout comes out, I'm really looking forward to a good mystery comic in that great style of yours!

I hope the new series comes together, too-- although if it turns out I really like Whiteout, I won't want you to be doing anything except working on the sequel! [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, I'm a big fan of Jack Hamm's drawing books too!

------------------
Joe Zabel

#212278 - 03/28/99 08:13 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was there something in my pages that reminded you of Jack Hamm? Or did I mention him in my "advice to young artists" essay?

Sincerely yours,
Perplexed in Portland

In my initial version of this response, I forgot to thank you for the compliments regarding these pages. Dave Rawson and I are crossing our fingers and thinking about next year's Eisner Award for Best Pitch.

[This message has been edited by Steve Lieber (edited 03-29-99).]

#212279 - 03/30/99 10:51 PM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Steve-- I saw the Jack Hamm reference in your essay. Actually the artwork itself kind of reminds me of some really good Jeff Jones from his pre-IDYL days.

------------------
Joe Zabel

#212280 - 02/26/00 10:51 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Greg Offline

I searched for Idyl, found this post, and am now linking this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=269930911

#212281 - 02/27/00 02:07 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Oscar Solis. Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
Great work. Storytelling was direct and the layouts are pleasing.
I'm glad to see your using the 3 tiered layout. It seems like it's been forgotten by most artists.
Looking forward to buying Whiteout (the first one) in a couple of weeks.
Good luck.

#212282 - 02/27/00 10:40 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Greg Offline

Note: My post dredged up 11 month old thread.

#212283 - 02/29/00 03:10 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good god. I'd have thought threads this old would've disppeared a long time ago, wiped away in the sort of electronic Stalinism that helps keep a net reader's mind in that vital perpetual "now."

I'm sure everyone will be pleased to learn that the pitch is still festering in a submission pile somewhere, and that Godot is going to show up any minute now.

Steve Lieber
http://www.unrewarding.com/steve Visit unrewarding.com, where a career can go and die in peace.

#212284 - 02/29/00 10:41 AM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
kelain Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Steve ...
as always your stuff still amazes me. I sat next to you at the last chicago wizard con, and have been a fan since. i'll be putting my money down for any book your working on... i love that western feel. How long did you spend researching for this one? great stuff... (although you don't need to hear that from me...=P

Tony Moy www.dreamflux.com

#212285 - 03/02/00 08:30 PM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Steve Lieber Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Tony:

I didn't have to do any dedicated research for the western pages. I've been accumulating general reference on the subject for years, so all I had to do was rotate my chair 90% to the right and pull books from the shelf.

I hope your efforts at the Chicago con got your book off to a good start. You single-handedly gave dozens of attendees their money's worth in attending the show, and worked your table about as hard as anyone possibly could.

Steve Lieber

------------------
http://www.unrewarding.com/steve The acclaimed graphic novel WHITEOUT, my life-drawing gallery and more.

#212286 - 03/09/00 01:06 PM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Scott Mills Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Wow, the pages look fantastic, Steve...I hate you! Just kidding.

You draw womens' faces so well, I'm jealous. Oh, and the architecture looks great, as well. I'm working on my new book for Top Shelf, it takes place in WWI (yes, one) Europe, and the trickiest part is the architecture. It's so much more important than people think.

------------------

Scott

#212287 - 03/10/00 12:41 PM Re: Some Lieber pitch pages.
Steve Lieber Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Your reaction makes sense, Scott. I just took a look at the pages again, and now I hate myself.

Re: architecture. Yeah. Making appropriate and expressive use of the built environment is of vital importance in almost any sort of storytelling. There are a stories which can be effectively set in pristine nature or some stylized, symbolic stage set, but most human interaction takes place in an environment of our own making, and that envionment influences the content, the mood and the meaning of these interactions.

------------------
http://www.unrewarding.com/steve The acclaimed graphic novel WHITEOUT, my life-drawing gallery and more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley