Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#220338 - 08/23/02 07:27 AM What are the best companies to work for?
99fingers Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi all:

First time poster here.
As an artist, I was curious to know from other freelancers what they think is the best independent comic publisher to work for.
And please state why.

99fingers

#220339 - 08/23/02 10:37 AM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
ScottChantler Offline

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I'm assuming you mean small-press, since an "independent" publisher would, by definition, publish only their own work.

I'm really enjoying my experience with Oni Press, so far. Their contract is very creator-friendly and they pay a decent-sized advance on a good royalty. And they're just all-round good guys.

"The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry, or depressing its contents seemed to be."
- Arthur C. Clarke

#220340 - 08/23/02 12:02 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
Northcott Offline

Loc: The Frozen North
I'd been meaning to ask how you'd found things with Oni, Scott. I've heard good things about them before this, too.

#220341 - 08/23/02 12:24 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
ScottChantler Offline

They're definitely creator-focused, which is probably why so many creators want to work with them.

"The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry, or depressing its contents seemed to be."
- Arthur C. Clarke

#220342 - 08/23/02 02:40 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
Bill Angus Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON, Canada
Hey Scott, glad to hear you're enjoying your experience with Oni. How is the book going, anyway? When is it due out (or did I miss it/my local store not bother to order it)?

#220343 - 08/23/02 03:26 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
Philip Looney Offline

Loc: Columbia, SC, USA
Yeah Scott, when is your book coming out? I didn't know you had one coming up, but I know thta I loved Plup when you were doing it. What's the book about?

Pop-Town Productions - Comics for all!

#220344 - 08/23/02 04:24 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
tom williams Offline

Loc: columbus.ohio
Hiya,

Most indy publishers expect a creative team to already be set up. There are only a few who are hiring artists ( I'm glad to see Oni is)- Oni, Dark Horse, Image, Crossgen. Definetely avoid Caliber Comics. I've had a couple of friends get shafted by them. It's mostly the way they worked it out...when our book makes money you make money. Definetely avoid that situation. Send out samples at least once a month. Most guys waste their time standing in line at cons to show work. The editors see so much work in one day they're overwhelmed. Cons are still a good place to network though. I've kind of lost interest with it and have gone on to do my own thing. It's like I told an interviewer once- you'd have a better chance getting your band signed than getting a (comic) book deal.

Good Luck,
tom w.

#220345 - 08/24/02 11:10 AM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
99fingers Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Guys:

Thanks for your input Scott and Tomix.
I really appreciate the comments and the warning about Caliber.
That is one thing about the comic business, it is very dirty in its contracts. Scott, about Oni,
I checked out their website, but didn't see anything about submission guidlines. Any chance that you can post a link that we can look at.
I am curious.
In my case, I was thinking about self publishing my work, only for the control factor. But expenses and distribution for print is difficult.
An online book is what I am considering more or less. I just wish that it were possible to make a
comfortable living doing comics without having to do other jobs.

Thank you all
99fingers

#220346 - 08/26/02 12:25 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
macclint Offline

Loc: Twin Peaks, Washington
Quote:
I just wish that it were possible to make a
comfortable living doing comics without having to do other jobs.

Don't we all my friend? Don't we all....

Shin Kage, Warrior of the Mountainworld

#220347 - 08/26/02 05:19 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
BClayMoore Offline

Loc: Kansas City, KS
Oni isn't currently accepting submissions.

J. Torres is lucky enough to have Scott making him look good on Girl Pop, but that's a case of a writer/artist team coming together on their own.

For the record, not making any money until the book makes money isn't a bad way to go, assuming that how "the book makes money" is clearly defined from the start.

After all, why would you expect to make money on a book that doesn't make money?

And, from my experience up to this point, Image has been very nice to work with. Through Image we'll be allowed to produce the book we want to produce without lots of interference, which means the success or failure of the book falls on our shoulders as much as anyone's.

-BCM

#220348 - 08/28/02 12:50 PM Re: What are the best companies to work for?
ScottChantler Offline

Sorry for the late response, everyone--I've been away.

Clay's right, Oni's not accepting unsolicited submissions. I was lukcy enough to be drawn into a project that was already a go.

The project, as Clay said, is called GIRL POP, though the format and release date are still up in the air. Don't worry, with my propensity for tooting my own horn, I'm sure I'll keep you posted.

And I maintain that any publisher with a plan to sell any number of copies of a book should have a plan to pay you at least something up front.

- Arthur C. Clarke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley