Page 1 of 86 1 2 3 ... 85 86 >
Topic Options
#22686 - 12/09/06 02:47 PM Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Months ago, somebody here posted a thread titled "John Byrne's Career Is Over."

Some people, including me, wrote in to correct this person, stating as fact that Byrne -- a talented artist, if not necessarily a gifted creator or writer, or a nice guy -- would have steady work in the comics industry for as long as he wanted.

Yet at my local comics shop last week, it was discussed that Byrne has nothing on the shelf and nothing announced coming up. His brief stint drawing THE ALL-NEW ATOM appears to have ended.

I know he sells sketches on eBay based on his classic comics work from 30 years ago, back when he was a popular artist.

But has Byrne's comics career hit the skids? Or does he have new and exciting projects of which I'm unaware?

#22687 - 12/09/06 03:09 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Bring Back Zot Offline

I hope we see more work by Byrne. However, every creator hits some point in their careers when they are no longer the "flavor of the month." Kirby, Ditko, Williamson, Colan, Cockrum and many other artists all had periods when they became less popular, and the regular comic assignments stopped coming in.

I hope that's not true for Byrne, and we see him draw another book soon.

#22688 - 12/09/06 04:42 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
James Van Hise Offline

Loc: Yucca Valley, CA
Byrne is apparently on the outs with DC over his pre-release criticisms of Superman Returns and the fact that he rejected an assignment he'd already agreed to draw after he learned that it was a spin-off from the film. He ultimately banned all discussion of the film from his message boards under penalty of expulsion. All his other DC books (Doom Patrol, Demon) have been canceled. So until DC decides to stop being pissed at him, his projects there have stopped. I don't know about Marvel. I still think Byrne should revive Danger Unlimited with Dark Horse as he canceled that 1990s book after only 4 issues due to low sales, even though four issues isn't very long for a book to get established and Danger Unlimited was some of the best work he's ever done.

#22689 - 12/09/06 05:04 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

I'd heard about Byrne burning bridges at DC.

Apparently, he isn't beloved at Marvel, either, where he has been similarly generous with his scathing public criticism.

Byrne took some shots at Marvel editor-in-chief Joey Q for missing deadlines as an artist. Byrne made one particularly harsh comment regarding a deadline blown after one of Joey Q's loved ones died. If Joey Q had worked ahead, that death wouldn't have delayed his issue of DAREDEVIL, Byrne said. Seemed like a cheap shot to many people.

So, no DC, no Marvel ...

... how are Byrne's relations at Archie? Has he insulted everyone over there yet?

Man, that message board of his sure has done a lot of good for his career.

#22690 - 12/09/06 05:04 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
John Byrne and Roger Stern have an upcoming story in Justice League Classified.

I also understand that there's some folks talking to Joe Rubinstein and Roger Stern about getting Byrne to do a book for Image. Don't know how that will turn out, though.

#22691 - 12/09/06 05:14 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton Donaghe:
John Byrne and Roger Stern have an upcoming story in Justice League Classified.
Any more information?

The only reference I could find was a May 2005 interview with Stern in which he predicted that story would appear in 2006, which is ending.

"He's [Stern is] currently hard at work on a multi-part story for JLA CLASSIFIED.

"'It's really a little early to say much about the JLA CLASSIFIED story,' Stern said. 'The plot outline was approved not that long ago and Mike Carlin tells me that, with all the issues he has lined up, my story won't see print until sometime in 2006. I can tell you that it will be five issues long. And once I get all five parts plotted, John Byrne will fit it into his schedule.'"

Well, if nothing else, Byrne probably finds it easier to fit assignments into his schedule now.

#22692 - 12/09/06 05:19 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
I think there was something up on Newsarama a few weeks ago in relation to buzz on the floor of a (NYC?) comic convention about the JLA story.

But, about the Image idea, what would be your opinion about that? Does that team sound interesting? Any hope they could come up with something good?

#22693 - 12/09/06 05:33 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Wil Radcliffe Offline

Loc: Fremont, IN
I can't speak for everyone my age, but I'd say the team of Stern, Byrne, and Rubinstein is a dream come true! Definitely an appealing team for fans who started reading in the 70s and 80s.

"In the tradition of Tolkien and Rowling, Wil carves out his own territory in the fantasy genre with Noggle Stones." ~ Ernie Colon

"It's great fun!" ~ Barry Cunningham, The Chicken House

http://www.nogglestones.com

#22694 - 12/09/06 07:12 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Sparvid Offline

Loc: Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton Donaghe:
I also understand that there's some folks talking to Joe Rubinstein and Roger Stern about getting Byrne to do a book for Image. Don't know how that will turn out, though.
I havn't heard about that before, but Byrne has often said that he has no interest of doing a book through Image.

#22695 - 12/09/06 07:30 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
He's got a short Green Lantern Christmas story coming out, as part of an anthology, I think.

Of course, the only reason he got that assignment is becuase the writer (who is also an inker) is a poster on Byrne's board, and made a special request to get Byrne on it because he wanted to ink his pencils.

Page 1 of 86 1 2 3 ... 85 86 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley