Page 2 of 86 < 1 2 3 4 ... 85 86 >
Topic Options
#22696 - 12/09/06 10:14 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparvid:
... Byrne has often said that he has no interest of doing a book through Image.
Yeah, no secret there. It'd be interesting to see it happen (as Wil Radcliffe said), but there's all kinds of factors that would probably prevent such a thing from coming to pass.

I'd just like to see what kind of ideas they'd come out with.

#22697 - 12/10/06 03:44 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Shoegaze99:
He's got a short Green Lantern Christmas story coming out, as part of an anthology, I think.

Of course, the only reason he got that assignment is becuase the writer (who is also an inker) is a poster on Byrne's board, and made a special request to get Byrne on it because he wanted to ink his pencils.
Since this guy has such power over DC, perhaps he can get work for others, too? Herb Trimpe, maybe? Perhaps he can put a good word in for Howard Mackie, too? Or maybe William Messner-Loebs?

#22698 - 12/10/06 06:56 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Tuck Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton Donaghe:
I also understand that there's some folks talking to Joe Rubinstein and Roger Stern about getting Byrne to do a book for Image.
Okay, show of hands: Who's for the Doomsday +1 revival?

#22699 - 12/10/06 07:39 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Bring Back Zot Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuck:
[/qb]
Okay, show of hands: Who's for the Doomsday +1 revival? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Not me, but I'd be early in line for the Rog 2000 mini-series. smile

#22700 - 12/10/06 08:27 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Well, it's premature to declare John Byrne's comics career over, then.

Several issues of THE ALL-NEW ATOM ... followed by a short GREEN LANTERN chapter in a Christmas anthology ... and at some point, maybe an arc on JLA CLASSIFIED ... clearly, John Byrne is still here.

Although ... doesn't that pattern sort of sound like the assignments handed to a hungry young artist just now breaking into the industry? And not a veteran who must be in his 50s or 60s?

#22701 - 12/10/06 09:32 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
NatGertler Offline

It sounds like the work someone working in comics does. An arc on JLA Classified and some work on the All-New Atom, those things can be included in the list of recent Grant Morrison work as well as Byrne. And the fact that we don't know he doesn't have some larger assignment in the works, either at DC or elsewhere. Not everything in this business gets announced at the time it is planned or when work starts.
And there are a number of publishers who would be happy to publish original Byrne works, although it may not be on the same financial terms he's accustomed to.

#22702 - 12/10/06 09:33 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Somehow it seems more like the equivalent of a pity f**k from old friends in the industry that feel bad about how the poor curmudgeon self-destructed.

#22703 - 12/10/06 01:24 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
IvanJim Offline

Nat-

You're very generous of spirit here, but the comparison becomes strained when you realize that Grant Morrison's work is far more extensive than those few items you mention, while there seems to be nothing else on Byrne's plate at the moment.

I actually wish the gentleman well, but it would be hard to make a case that his star isn't in descent.

#22704 - 12/10/06 02:20 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
You're very generous of spirit here, but the comparison becomes strained when you realize that Grant Morrison's work is far more extensive than those few items you mention
None of Grant's efforts involve penciling anything that I'm aware of; we generally expect pencilers in this business to be doing fewer projects than writers.
Quote:
while there seems to be nothing else on Byrne's plate at the moment.
Is there a reason you would presume to know everything that is on Byrne's plate?

#22705 - 12/10/06 03:38 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
IvanJim Offline

Nat-

I did state that this is what "seems to be" what's on his plate, as opposed to definitively stating his current projects, but here are reasons to think that this might be accurate.
As Byrne either announces or hints at most of the projects that he does, and as he's been stating that his work at the Big Two has essentially dried up, and since he's been selling reproductions of early art on E-bay and stating that it's in lieu of new work, I think that it can reasonably be inferred that what you see is awfully close to what you get.

Disregarding the fact that you were the party that made the comparison to Grant Morrison's output on these books (and therefore you should be arguing the apples/oranges point with yourself and not me), and that you're ignoring the essential point that Grant's work here is only a very minor part of his repertoire, there's still a point that you haven't chosen to take into account.

While it's generally true that a writer usually has the ability to produce far more work in a given period of time than a penciller does, you seem to be disregarding Byrne's well known productivity and the speed at which he works. When you add in the fact that Byrne also works as a writer when it suits him, and that his output when he's fully employed dwarves his current output, it's reasonable to conclude that there seems to be quite a bit of idle time in the gentleman's schedule.

Page 2 of 86 < 1 2 3 4 ... 85 86 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley