Page 3 of 86 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 85 86 >
Topic Options
#22706 - 12/10/06 04:55 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
As Byrne either announces or hints at most of the projects that he does, and as he's been stating that his work at the Big Two has essentially dried up, and since he's been selling reproductions of early art on E-bay and stating that it's in lieu of new work, I think that it can reasonably be inferred that what you see is awfully close to what you get.
Here's some more support in an August statement that he is taking "A sabbatical from the monthly grind" .
Quote:
Disregarding the fact that you were the party that made the comparison to Grant Morrison's output on these books (and therefore you should be arguing the apples/oranges point with yourself and not me)
Had I made some statement about those as a reflection of the quantity of work, perhaps. However, instead I was addressing Lawson's suggestion about the sort of person who gets such work... when the other people involved in launching the All-New Atom were Morrison and Simone (who may be relatively new but hardly classes in the hungry newcomer mode at this point) and for JLA: Classified the pencilers so far are Ed McGuiness, Kevin Maguire, Butch Guice, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Tom Derenick, Kilian Plunkett, working with writers Morrison, DeMatteis, Ellis, Simone, Englehart, and Chaykin).

edited for formatting whoopsies

#22707 - 12/10/06 06:46 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Alan Coil Offline

Loc: Southeast Michigan
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.:

Since this guy has such power over DC, perhaps he can get work for others, too? Herb Trimpe, maybe? Perhaps he can put a good word in for Howard Mackie, too? Or maybe William Messner-Loebs? [/QB]
Yer a sarcastic ^%&^%, arnt you?

#22708 - 12/10/06 09:05 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
It sounds like the work someone working in comics does.

And there are a number of publishers who would be happy to publish original Byrne works, although it may not be on the same financial terms he's accustomed to.
Point taken.

Erik Larsen of Image Comics has said here on Comicon that regardless of any personal feelings he might have, he would publish a Byrne project if Byrne was interested ... although, he has added, Byrne does not seem so inclined.

My theory -- and it could be wrong -- is that Byrne's ranting in real life and on his message board has damaged some of his relationships in the industry. That, and poor sales on projects like DOOM PATROL and BLOOD OF THE DEMON, where he was a writer/artist, means he might have more idle time than he wants.

The pity is, as I've said before, Byrne is a genuinely talented and enthusiastic super-hero comics artist, better than a lot of the young bucks out there.

#22709 - 12/10/06 09:35 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
NatGertler Offline

As I suggested, idle time is his option; there are publishers available to him. That he has chosen to take a sabbatical is indeed a choice (and an understandable one after decades of hard effort.)

Were I a comics publisher (which, well, I am) publishing a line of new superhero material (which I'm not) and looking to emulate some success in the weekly superhero format (not) and struggling with problems of late shipping on other projects (not), Byrne is someone I'd be quite intereted in contacting.

#22710 - 12/10/06 09:51 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Quote:
Originally posted by NatGertler:
Were I a comics publisher (which, well, I am) publishing a line of new superhero material (which I'm not) and looking to emulate some success in the weekly superhero format (not) and struggling with problems of late shipping on other projects (not), Byrne is someone I'd be quite intereted in contacting.
Everyone, you heard it here first!

Nat Gertler is going to publish John Byrne's next project!

#22711 - 12/10/06 10:07 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Pride being what it is, I wonder if John Byrne would allow himself to work for Image or for a smaller publisher who wouldn't be able to help him reach the sales potential that he's achieved in the past.

At one time he was willing to work with Dark Horse, but they no longer represent as large a part of the comic sales pie as they used to. I wish him well if he does choose any of these options.

Nat-

I'm glad that you see no subtext when Byrne says that he's merely taking a sabbatical, but you're conveniently ignoring several of his previous posts on his site where he clearly stated that the offers of work from DC were drying up. I'm certainly not wishing him poorly, but neither am I willing to ignore the obvious and plainly stated facts that Byrne himself acknowledged. If you choose to take this route, though, more power to you.

#22712 - 12/10/06 10:43 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
NatGertler Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
At one time he was willing to work with Dark Horse, but they no longer represent as large a part of the comic sales pie as they used to.
Byrne has worked with many publishers over the years on various projects which were not as large a part of the pie as Dark Horse is now.
Quote:
I'm glad that you see no subtext when Byrne says that he's merely taking a sabbatical, but you're conveniently ignoring several of his previous posts on his site where he clearly stated that the offers of work from DC were drying up.
I'm sorry if this is confusing you, IvanJim. DC is not the only publisher out there. DC is not the only publisher which John could be working for. Byrne could be doing regular comics work. He is choosing not to at this point. He is taking a sabbatical.

#22713 - 12/10/06 11:46 PM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Nat-

There's really no confusion on my part about this as I read where Byrne said that work from DC was drying up for him and that because of this he didn't expect to be having much work published in the near future.

Is the fact that he said this somehow not registering with you? It almost seems to be possible that you're choosing to interpret the reported information so that only one possible reading of the situation can be made, and that you're conveniently ignoring information that doesn't correspond with your envisioned scenario.

If I'm mistaken about this then so be it, but it almost seems as though your more interested in "winning" points in an argument than in actually looking at the presented information, or in responding to said information if it opens up any interpretation other than the one you've decided is the truth of the situation.

I like the way you see things, Nat, and I enjoy both your posts and your writing but sometimes I think that you argue solely for the sake of arguing (not that there's anything wrong with that).

#22714 - 12/11/06 06:41 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Darkfung Offline

Loc: Scotland
.. but he's on Marvel's ongoing Eternals after Spring I thought ??

Anyhow, I'd think the 'no comic work' choice was his - sounds like he just want to stay at home quietly doing highly paid commission work in between counting the pots of money he's made so far ... and more power to him !!

He should be rewarded for speaking his mind - not ostracized

#22715 - 12/11/06 07:05 AM Re: Does John Byrne have any more comics work?
Mike Farrow Offline

It doesn't help that the CEO of Time/Warner is a latina with a dye-blonde hairdo.

Page 3 of 86 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 85 86 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley