Topic Options
#240666 - 04/10/99 08:11 AM Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
This is a thread on which I have absolutely nothing to say! [img]/resources/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

The reason I'm setting it up is that it's obvious that online cartoonists have a lot of shop talk about Shockwave, paint programs, etc. that they want to engage in.
I've noticed that the 'unified language' thread has sidetracked a bit that way. I don't mind sidetracks, but a lot of the readers are more interested in the technical aspects anyway, so why not give them a thread devoted to it?

------------------
Joe Zabel

#240667 - 04/14/99 01:10 AM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
Guy Nelson Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa USA
Hi! Great Idea for a topic, alas I have no advice, but am in need of it! I am currently working on my own on-line comic, and if anyone has any advice on keeping load times to a minimum I would be very grateful... I plan to mostly use B&W images for the most part (at first, later I hope to do more color) which should keep file sizes small, but any other advice/techniques would be greatly appreciated...

#240668 - 04/14/99 01:35 AM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
MidnightCross Offline

Loc: Addison, IL
Re: Load Time

Invest in a decent web graphics program which optimizes your GIF and JPG files.

I've heard great things about Macromedia's Fireworks, but I've never actually worked with it.

Personally, I use ULead WebRazor. It's an inexpensive program which includes the best GIF Animation program I've worked with, and the "SmartSaver" tool which lets you optimize a graphic into a GIF or JPG file, allowing you to see the degradation as you reduce the color palette (GIF) or increase compression (JPG). Also tells you the new file size, which lets you experiment until you get exactly what you want. Even better, you can export straight from PhotoShop.

Regarding black and white art... don't assume that B&W automatically means a smaller file size. If you don't adjust your color palette on a GIF file, for example, you'll still have a 256 color GIF -- black, white, and 254 shades of grey. JPG, on the other hand, has problems with large blocks of flat color at higher compression rates, so your whites end up looking funky.

-J

------------------
John Benton
Midnight Cross
www.midnightcross.com

#240669 - 04/14/99 02:27 PM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
eric hess Offline

fireworks allows you to preview up to 4 different gif/jpeg compression states on the same image at the same time, as well as stating file size and load time (at 28.8) for each. also nice for creating image maps & rollovers, although i think dreamweaver does a better job of writing the java code for the latter. i'm told fireworks 2.0 can also create disconnected rollovers, so i'm salivating to get that. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img] fireworks can use some of photoshop's filters (including KPT) but it still ain't photoshop. i like it, though... it has a lot of web-creation features i wish photoshop had.

#240670 - 04/14/99 06:20 PM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
Paul J. Taylor Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Actually, I've been experiementing with Adobe Acrobat PDF files as a content delivery system, although it works better if you're distributing page-based comics online rather than HTML-based graphics solely indended to be viewed on the Web.

I believe Acrobat 4.0 just came out this week, so I can't wait to get a copy... it's only $100 for upgraders.

Also, to those of you who DO use Acrobat (and, by the way, the Acrobat Web Plug-In makes it a nice Web-based content delivery system, too), I recommend printing a file to PostScript and using Acrobat Distiller to convert it to a PDF, rather than using the Acrobat Writer. You'll get better control of font embedding and graphics compression.

------------------
The Wrx is at Mount Olympus: http://www.bigfoot.com/~maxiezeus/index.html

#240671 - 04/14/99 09:20 PM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
eric hess Offline

"Also, to those of you who DO use Acrobat... I recommend printing a file to PostScript and using Acrobat Distiller to convert it to a PDF, rather than using the Acrobat Writer."

i'll second that. seems like a significant majority of the complaints about creating pdfs all have pdfwriter in common. (especially when creating pdfs from quarkxpress.) i've been using distiller at work for over a year... created dozens of pdfs... not one problem yet. also, when distilling pdfs, make sure distiller's job preferences are set the way you want them.

#240672 - 04/17/99 02:19 PM Re: Online Comics-- the 'tekkie' stuff
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
I'll THIRD that, use the Distiller. Best options, best compression, and the files always work if they're set up properly. For some reason, many apps -- especially Quark, as mentioned -- just don't interface well with the PDFWriter.

I envision that eventually we will compile our comic on CD-ROM or DVD-ROM as complete PDF documents, so people can own an archive of the whole thing, that is viewable and printable. In any event, Acrobat seems to be the most faithful way of making high-quality digital translations of work intended for print.

I'm digging Flash, tho. It's such a neat tool, and you can do really excellent cel-type animation with it. Fun, Fun, Fun!

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley