Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#242174 - 08/14/01 12:56 PM Awards for Online Cartoonists
modernfear Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
It occurs to me that one reason the Groths and Griffiths of the world think of webcomics as a vast land of stick-figure fart jokes is that they have no good guide leading them to the best stuff. Imagine someone walking into a comic book store without any sense of the medium: he or she would be swamped with crap before ever finding, say, Age of Bronze. Long, long before.

A well-respected, well-run, fully representational and high profile formal award series would help solve this problem. Even people who don't read comics will pay a bit more attention if you tell them "this writer won an Eisner." Even if they don't know what an Eisner is. Those who do know, pay commensurately more attention.

I do have some experience at my dayjob creating an awards series for another digital medium (streaming). I'm ready to take this on.

Who wants to help?

I propose we call them McClouds. Unless that makes Scott feel weird. Or, hey, even if it does ...

Joey www.talkaboutcomics.com

------------------
=====================
Listen to Digital Comics Talk while you browse these boards:
http://www.talkaboutcomics.com/listennow.php

#242175 - 08/14/01 01:10 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
NatGertler Offline

Oh, right... I'm sure telling Gary Groth that something has a "McCloud" will make him respect it instantly. After all, we've seen just what high esteem Gary holds Scott in...

#242176 - 08/14/01 01:13 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
Iain Offline

Loc: Tempe, AZ, USA
This is an AMAZING idea! I would help out in any way you'd like. Consider me lackey! Maybe the raspberry awards, for worst online comics of the year, could be called the Groths? =) j/k, although I have a few projects of my own I'd nominate for those...

- Iain http://www.darwinscomplex.com

#242177 - 08/14/01 01:17 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
geedis Offline

Loc: AZ
"Oh, right... I'm sure telling Gary Groth that something has a "McCloud" will make him respect it instantly. After all, we've seen just what high esteem Gary holds Scott in..."

On the other hand, given how he might feel about it, wouldn't it be fun knowing that Gary would eventually have to print some sort of coverage of this event?

Besides, I heard there already were awards for makers of online comics. I think they call it "eating".

[This message has been edited by geedis (edited 08-14-2001).]

#242178 - 08/14/01 01:25 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
Iain Offline

Loc: Tempe, AZ, USA
If you're making enough with your online comic to eat, you're doing darn well! With the money I have made (not profit, mind you, but money brought in thru donations), I can go get two tacos at Jack In The Box.

Check that, one and a half.

- Iain http://www.darwinscomplex.com

#242179 - 08/14/01 01:32 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
modernfear Offline

Good point, Nat.

However, in all my conversations with online cartoonists, the one name that keeps coming up as an inspiration and example is Scott McCloud. Scott's book is directly or indirectly responsible for the existence of 90% of the quality comics on the web. People read it, and go make stuff. There's no other figure as important or influential, at least not in quite that way.

They either have to be called the McClouds, or they can't be named after a person at all, IMHO (willing to be convinced otherwise).

On the other hand, we could put a mean ironic smirk on the thing, and call them "the Groths." That might be fun.

------------------
=====================

#242180 - 08/14/01 02:09 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
My thought of the downside of this is that awards shows get political. Who judges them? Who gets nominated? Usually that sort of thing devolves into an "industry insiders' popularity contest," or worse a "who sold the most product" contest like the Grammys.

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#242181 - 08/14/01 02:11 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
geedis Offline

Loc: AZ
That is a good idea, Scott's caught enough flack so he deserves a little respect.

Only, let's remember what happened to poor Mr. Eisner, and not wait years to give Scott his own "McCloud".

#242182 - 08/14/01 02:39 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
modernfear Offline

Okay, I've had a little more time to think.

I'm thinking that calling them "McClouds" might bring a WHOLE LOTTA POLITICAL BAGGAGE that we want to avoid at all costs. Sort of what Nat said, only moreso.

Scott's a great guy, but he very openly stands tall for a specific kind of aesthetic. We probably need to be telegraphing openness and full representation for all -- not that I think Scott's name necessarily means closed-ness (I think quite the opposite), but it might be misrepresented and/or misinterpreted that way by certain folks.

So: we still need a name.

The only name on the table right now is "the Groths," which also doesn't, um, seem quite right for political reasons.

We could go generic: The Digital Comics Awards, and call them the diggies.

------------------
=====================

#242183 - 08/14/01 02:50 PM Re: Awards for Online Cartoonists
Scott McCloud Offline

While I very much appreciate the sentiment, I don't think it would be a good idea to name an award after me at this stage.

If we assume that the purpose of such an award would be to promote Online Comics to the comics community and the arts/web community at large, then linking it to a controversial personality would only muddy the waters and imply that the awards were promoting one particular view of online comics which is by no means universal, even among the cartoonists themselves.

My suggestion, in the traditions of awards like the Oscars or the Rubens would be to honor an early pioneer. How about "The Zark Awards" in honor of Charlie Parker's groundbreaking Argon Zark (www.zark.com), one of the first really creative strips on the Web. Charlie was very supportive of other cartoonists and provided a lot of technical assistance and advice for guys like me early on. And the "Zarks" just sounds great. "Hey, Look! I was nominated for a Zark this year!" He's also fairly non-partisan in the strip/book culture clash, being neither a Sluggy-like daily strip or a McCloudian scroller thingey. And, the fact that he doesn't update very often isn't a barrier; it might even be a plus, since he's not so active in the fray at the moment.

Tell you what though. I'll agree to let the name be changed to the "McCloud's" after a particular time period such as... Hmmm. Well, let's see... I know -- When I'm Dead!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley