Topic Options
#243315 - 12/06/01 04:58 PM Where's Magic Inkwell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try going to www.magicinkwell.com -- where did Cat Garza go? Anybody? Anybody?

the jarman http://www.geocities.com/jasonalanramos/

------------------

#243316 - 12/14/01 04:00 PM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
cayetano Offline

Loc: la frontera
dead forever? maybe not. i had been planning a massive update when Southwestern Bell finally pulled the plug (the grand total i owe them for hosting: $622!!!). trying to wrestle back my domain, find a new name server, increase my webspace at the university, then get the damn thing back online in time for APE. we'll see how this goes. currently my old site space is back up (apparently a lot of my old files are still there from when i worked at the university before)... not much to look at yet, but keep checking back: w3.panam.edu/~cgarza. if i CAN'T get magicinkwell.com back up, then keep an eye out on the message boards. i'm down, but not out. not yet.

love,
cayetano
magicinkwell.com

#243317 - 12/17/01 01:29 PM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ouch, Cat... brought down by bandwidth hell. Argh!!

Perhaps many of us comic types should look into buying a co-located server, see what that costs.

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#243318 - 12/18/01 10:29 AM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
cayetano Offline

they already have, jeff. it's called keenspace or keenspot or... [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

i dunno. it's no big deal. i'm pretty jaded about comics anyway. there's a lot of weird things to deal with. everything from scott's support of the work (which isn't a bad thing, but man some people really take shit the wrong way and are WAY too sensitive when they aren't included in something. it's even funnier because a lot of those type of people have only come into doing online comics in the last couple years or so and aren't doing anything of any kind of historic aesthetic import. they're just repurposing print onto the web. well that's fine. their right. just don't complain about not being included when we're talking about EXPANDING the medium, not just regurgitating it...) to the cliquish nature of the medium and especially the industry. don't get me wrong, i have a lot of friends and even a few fans, but i'm just really fed up with all of it.

it's always been about the aesthetic of sequential art. never about anything else. i'm not a hipster and i'm not a kiss ass. i'm just trying to make comics, make art. i'm not trying to put on some song and dance for people. i don't want people to identify with my "characters" or love my "story arc". i want them to sit back and think about something or feel what i'm trying to convey. a lot of people can't really appreciate that. they think i'm some kinda art fag just spouting all this romatic rhetoric that is all sentimentality and no reality. comics is a "business". well the hell with that. comics should be about producing art... stretching the boundries of the medium. otherwise you're just jerking off, you know? forever challenging how we express ourselves. this should be the goal.

there's so much infighting and bullshit. "scott mccloud's wrong!" "no, no, no! he's RIGHT!!" who CARES what the definition of comics is, or who's idea is right? i mean really, people?! i understand the need for discourse and debate, but some of it just borders on being completely ridiculous. people will pull the most contrived half baked theory out of their ass just to have a little piece of the spotlight pie. instead of wallowing in the details, why not experiment and find out? it doesn't matter anyway, because it seems like the whole comics form is more obsessed with bathing in the already established cannons of genre and style and storytelling and format and process. there leaves little room for much else. and that's really all that matters to me. stretching and challenging those boundries. maybe some people would think that's a load of hooey, but a lot of them are just imitating berke breathed or bill watterson or you name it. i know my work's a bit derivative so maybe i'm just as guilty.

sorry to vent, but man, i've had a lot of time to really think about this stuff.

i really think it's just wake up call time. i think all us "online cartoonists" (and i'm saying that last bit a little tongue in cheek considering we only make up a SMALL percentage of a SMALL percentage of a fringe culture) need to realize we're all in this together. i've seen a lot of good things in our little group, don't get me wrong. and i think we generally stick together, but...

ugh. ok, now i'm truly just blindly rambling. i guess i'm more upset than i thought.

it's just... i think it's a shame that people like rick geary have to sit in artist's alley at the sandy eggo comicon and that other people will have a big ol' booth and put on this little show for people. where's the artistic integrity? where's the love?

and i guess that's the thing. it's been feeling like work for a while now. i haven't had the love i used to when i was still in college and busting my ASS sending out submissions and dabbling with the web (this is back in '96-'97 for those of you that want to keep score as to who was on the web first. i know i wasn't the first, and i'm just glad i've been able to do it at all).

mostly, this is just a desperate plea to the comics community. please, stop the bullshit. get real. be straight with each other. help each other. challenge each other's potential. or get the hell out.

i'm working my ass off right now to get back online and start producing a weekly again. soon.

by the by, i'm still producing a weekly strip for the austin american statesman and doing illo work on the side. i'm also working with a new band, playing regular acoustic sets here locally, and showing my work at a local gallery that is representing me. so i'm still keeping busy and still producing art. it's just i can't seem to convince the machine that is "the industry" that i'm even worth paying attention to. and you know what? i FINALLY don't care.
maybe now i can love making art again.

maybe. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#243319 - 12/19/01 02:43 AM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
billcunningham Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Sing it, Cat!

I was just ranting about something similar over on another thread, though from the opposite direction.

Miserable as not getting paid is, Comics is an artist driven, idea driven medium right now precisely because there's no big money to speak of. For most people.

When I was in theater school I had a mime instructor...

(Hey, back off! I'm not a mime! [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img] )

... that told us about where Marceau studied in France. There was this almost monastic school of mime that took as it's mission the dissection and analysis of human motion in it's purest, most deliberate form. It was more along the lines of yoga or tai-chi, though more obsessive than theraputic I think, and it definately wasn't a popular entertainment. Marceau took what he learned there and figured out ways to make dough with it. But the art form, though obscure, was pure, and all you needed to practice it was your body and your dedication.

I think that's what comics is these days. It's a small, rareified art form that almost anyone with a will to can participate in.

The wierd infighting is truly absurd. But I think the arguements are gorgeous! The medium is gorgeous. We are living in an artform in a time when it is powered by sheer will and love, and not by capital or profit. There's no reason to be in it if not to play.

It's like, money doesn't really care much about us, so it's letting us shape what this is all becoming. I'm sure eventually money will find a way to use something we create and run it into the ground , but who knows what that thing will be? There is stuff in this artform that is only now being born.

Anyway that's how I feel about it.

------------------
Shikata Ga Nai

Shikata Ga Nai

#243320 - 12/19/01 02:44 AM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
Derek Kirk Kim Offline

Loc: Pacifica, California
thank you, thank you, thank you, cat. You took the words right out of my throat.

------------------
--Derek
Small Stories
http://www.smallstoriesonline.com
"Should you ever be drowned or hung, be sure and make a note of your sensations."
-Edgar Allen Poe
-Edgar Allen Poe

#243321 - 12/19/01 12:32 PM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
cayetano Offline

wow, thanks for the responses guys. i was feeling really guilty about the things i said yesterday and was going to post an apology if anyone was offended. i was pretty upset and just spewing forth venom without any real fore thought. still, i stick by what i said. i'm tired of the haters. i'm tired of the people that just wanna wallow in their own petty jealousies and snobbery.

#243322 - 12/19/01 12:34 PM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
cayetano Offline

i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels that way, too!

#243323 - 12/19/01 01:53 PM Re: Where's Magic Inkwell?
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Right on Cat, I'm totally down with you. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know as my comic is stretching the boundaries of the medium, but it's certainly stretching my PERSONAL boundaries and leading me to new things and new insights... and hopefully, better artwork. While this is probably not contribution to the expansion and evolution of comics, it's my personal path of expansion and evolution... which is important to me, heh heh.

I'm not so worried about creating ART at this point because in order to do that I need to work on a lot of personal, psychological stuff. ART is about expressing feelings and I'm not real good at that. I'm more of a technician than an ARTIST at this point...

But I'm working on it. Hopefully all this will lead to being able to REALLY contribute. [img]/resources/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley