Topic Options
#250562 - 06/12/05 10:32 PM This forum
Chris Wall Offline

Perhaps appearances can be decieving, but it doesn't look like there is much life in this corner of the forum. As a webcartoonist, I wanted another place to bs about Webcomics and was pointed here by a link over at PvP. Just from glancing at the topics and the seldom replies, I was a bit disappointed. So prove me wrong, tell me to shut up, or start some good conversation, it'll be fun regardless.

#250563 - 06/13/05 07:55 AM Re: This forum
Matt Putnam-Pouliot Offline

I think that part of the reason this forum is so quiet is because it's seen just as a place to promote one's site, and promotional/hype posts don't tend to generate a lot of responses. People follow the link and if they feel like giving feedback, they're probably more likely to send the artist or writer an email than come back here and post a reply.

If people want to talk about the craft of making a webcomic, they tend to go to the Creating Comics forum (though that's not a super active forum either).

#250564 - 06/13/05 09:45 AM Re: This forum
Les McClaine_dup1 Offline

Loc: Waltham USA
Back in '99 or 2000 or so, this forum was really busy, but I think messageboards completely devoted to webcomics sort of took most of the traffic away-- there really seems to be a seperation between most webcomics readers and comic book readers.

#250565 - 06/13/05 10:18 PM Re: This forum
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Les is correct. Unfortunately, those other webcomics general purpose message boards seemed to wither and die as well. Nowadays, it seems the only lively webcomics general message board is http://websnark.com , which of course is Eric's personal blog, and which isn't set up for posting new threads, just responses to what Eric posts.

I really liked the good old days when hype and discussions were mixed together; that meant that people would actually see the hype, and there were plenty of interesting discussions to take part in.

#250566 - 06/14/05 02:29 AM Re: This forum
Chris Wall Offline

Thanks for the responses guys. It is a bit hard to find good webcomic discussion without heading straight into an actual webcomic's forum. I am hoping to find a nice unbiased place with fun discussions and such.

#250567 - 06/14/05 08:15 AM Re: This forum

Well, this forum is pretty much anyone's for the taking. If some good discussion threads got started, it might draw people in.

I was just going to add that it seems like a lot of people just see the internet as a way to get their work out there in the public eye. I think that since their focus is on eventually getting something into print, they think about their webcomics in comicbook terms, without really thinking about the differences between the two mediums (electronic and paper).

I guess I'm just trying to say if you're having trouble finding discussions about webcartooning, it might be because people are having discussions about the comics in general and not specfically the electronic variety.

#250568 - 06/21/05 06:34 AM Re: This forum
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
"Well, this forum is pretty much anyone's for the taking. If some good discussion threads got started, it might draw people in."

Ok, I added a thread on bitpass, and it's going fairly well, but I don't see anybody from this thread responding to it! shocked

#250569 - 06/21/05 07:40 AM Re: This forum

I've been too busy working on my site. wink

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley