Topic Options
#250571 - 06/16/05 01:01 PM "The Stiff" 200-Page Archive Free Until July 11
Jason Thompson Offline

Hello everyone,

Pardon the shameless plug! "The Stiff", my warped tribute to romantic comedy manga, got nominated for a WCCA Award, but more importantly, the whole site archives are free until July 11!

I'm working on page 200 of "The Stiff" right now... the whole thing should be 800 pages when it's finished. Please check it out; I hope you like it.

Sincerely,

Jason

Jason Thompson
508 Vallejo Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
jason@sonic.net

JASON THOMPSON'S "THE STIFF"
NOMINATED FOR 2005 WEB CARTOONIST'S CHOICE AWARD
-------
200-PAGE ARCHIVE AT WWW.GIRLAMATIC.COM
FREE UNTIL JULY 11, 2005

www.girlamatic.com, June 16, 2005 -- On June 5, Jason Thompson's manga-influenced teenage horror/romance webcomic The Stiff was nominated for a 2005 Web Cartoonist's Choice Award for "Best Dramatic Comic." In celebration, the entire archive of The Stiff on girlamatic.com, normally a subscription-based site, will be free from June 15 until July 11, 2005, the day after the 2005 WCCA Awards are announced.

Alistair Toth, a 16-year-old high school senior with strange phobias, has a secret crush on a mysterious transfer student, Alice Hoffmann. His closest female friend, Jamie Etchison, tries to set them up, only to make a disturbing discovery about Alice Hoffmann…and herself. As repressed passions and jealousies, ideals and realities, swim to the surface, the students of Larkspur High School find themselves caught in something outside their normal lives…

Jason Thompson, a part-time manga editor at Viz Media, LLC, is previously best known for his comics Hyperborea and his 5-issue adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath (adapted into a movie by Guerilla Productions). Currently in the middle of Chapter 5, The Stiff is almost 200 pages long (page 200 will be posted on June 20). The full story is projected to reach 20 chapters.

girlamatic.com is the leading site for female-friendly webcomics. Other girlamatic.com creators currently nominated for 2005 WCCA awards include Shaenon Garrity (Outstanding Writing, Outstanding Comedic Comic, Narbonic), Jenn Manley Lee (Outstanding Character (Writing), Outstanding Long Form Comic, and Outstanding Science Fiction Comic, Dicebox), and Barry Deutsch (Outstanding Story Concept, Hereville).

"I can feel that there’s something boiling right under the surface, waiting to explode... I enjoyed reading about these kids growing up and questioning themselves, their beliefs and the world around them."
— Sarah Haslett, Comic World News

"Thompson has a remarkable memory for adolescence; his characters don’t sound like an adult’s version of teenagers, but like bright, articulate people limited only by a lack of mature experience...a remarkable and ambitious work."
—Shaenon Garrity, The Webcomics Examiner

For further information, read The Stiff at www.girlamatic.com or The Stiff website. For more information on the WCCA Awards, and who can vote, visit the 2005 WCCA Awards website.

#250572 - 06/19/05 07:34 PM Re: "The Stiff" 200-Page Archive Free Until July 11
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Yo, this is a seriously great webcomic, absolutely one of the highest quality and most ambitious works in the medium. It really should have gotten more WCCA nominations, but lets be grateful for what it did get, and GO VOTE FOR IT!!

#250573 - 06/22/05 06:59 PM Re: "The Stiff" 200-Page Archive Free Until July 11
Jason Thompson Offline

Thanks, Joe! And sorry for showing up on the forum just to hype myself. I must admit that some of the other "Best Dramatic Comic" nominees look mighty fine -- I've heard good things about "Reman Mythology" in particular. And "Star Cros'd Destiny" has impressively cool color art & anime/manga stylings.

So, although this may seem disingenuous, I guess it's like what news commentators are supposed to say during an election: "whoever you vote for, just get out there and VOTE!"

(If you're a webcomic artist, that is, since only artists can vote for the WCCAs.)

Jason

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley