Topic Options
#25063 - 03/16/07 09:12 AM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
Paul W. Sondersted, Jr. Offline

Loc: Sparks, Nevada, United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Lee:
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.:
I think JB is making a HUGE mistake limiting his options. I think he's burying his head in the sand, so to speak.
I certainly don't expect him to work for Marvel until Joe Quesada is gone, but he's been offered options elsewhere...Erik Larsen, for one, was willing to publish JB's Next Men (IIRC), so I'm sure there are others willing to welcome JB with open arms.
Why JB is procrastinating? Dunno.
Maybe if we could get him to test the waters somehow, like with a sketchbook or something. That way he could try out a publisher with limited risk, limited upfront time. See if the whole experience is acceptable.

Maybe a book full of commissions done in the last few years, there have been quite a lot of them, though I would think a more general sketch book with some text commentary from JB would sell a bit better. Maybe wth a little extra work and some of his existing material, it could be something along the lines "How To Draw Comics the John Byrne Way" now that would be a great start.
Sounds reasonable.
Problem is, I think JB is "stuck" on his site & the commissions are coming TO him. I think, at the moment, he is comfortable with his current workload.
Maybe he's thinking (yes, I'm surmising) that if he keeps a low profile (at least in terms of actual comic book work), when he does make a "comeback" things will "seem" better?
I dunno.
Sounds like a wacky theory & I'm the one theorizing! UGH!

#25064 - 03/17/07 01:40 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by geedis:
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Lee:
Quote:
Originally posted by geedis:
Why doesn't Byrne just make his own titles and sell them on the internet? He's got a whole message board full of customers ready to buy.

Distribution through UPS. Surely some of the neighborhood kids will help pack the orders.
There are lots of small book publishers that would love to work with him on this, all he would have to do is provide the content, and there are a lot of options, where you take a little risk but retain all control but get the benefits of having a company do all the annoying stuff for you. Manufacturing, distribution, all the paperwork, upc, library of congress info etc...

Hell, I work for one.
Okay, so has JB given any reasons for not doing so? Are we maybe missing something here?
He apparently doesn't like 'vanity press.'

I think it's really because he doesn't consider it 'real comics' unless it was created by DC or Marvel in the 60s.

#25065 - 03/18/07 01:48 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
jwyatt Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparvid:

No wait, I confused "sitting on his ass and complaining" with "creating his own line of the kind of comics he feels are missing from the shelves today and publishing them".
I used to confuse those too. I finally was able to keep them straight when I noticed the silent "e."

#25066 - 03/18/07 04:41 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
Joe Lee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyatt:
Quote:
Okay, so has JB given any reasons for not doing so? Are we maybe missing something here?
He apparently doesn't like 'vanity press.'

I think it's really because he doesn't consider it 'real comics' unless it was created by DC or Marvel in the 60s. [/QB]
There are differnt levels of "Vanity press."

I work for a publishing company that handles some vanity stuff, but mostly (at least in the book area), we do what is called partnership publishing, which has a lot more involvement from the publisher than just as a print broker. Each partnership is treated as unique and different as each author and book is.

But it wouldn't surprise me from what I've read just in these forums alone, if certain people, especially those who have a history of never taking risks would look down on any type of self publishing.

#25067 - 03/19/07 03:44 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
Joe Lee Offline

I just read somewhere that graphic novel sales have recently surpassed traditional comics.

Why wouldn't someone want to publish whole stories direct to book form instead of monthly serials? The eventual total costs are going to be less, producing one book, than several individual issues, (with high quality print on demand now available) where is the advantage?

Y'know what, that sounds like a possible new topic I should post elswhere...

#25068 - 02/23/08 09:54 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
TomTommy Offline

i am just damn confused! did byrne wanna write watchmen or not? there are two threads that contradict this!

#25069 - 02/23/08 11:11 PM Re: BYRNE: "I wish Watchmen had never been written"
Emperor of the Gutters Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TomTommy:
i am just damn confused! did byrne wanna write watchmen or not? there are two threads that contradict this!
One is probably from Earth-2.

Featuring 292 pages of great art and socko gags from ART SPIEGELMAN, KIM DEITCH, SKIP WILLIAMSON, HARRY S. ROBINS, TONY MILLIONAIRE, CAROL LAY, KAZ, JOHNNY RYAN, MICHAEL KUPPERMAN, SAM HENDERSON, and seventy other top talents! Now available for purchase on the web, all for the low, low price of $18.95!

http://www.dannyhellman.com/legalaction2.htm

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a viking!

Page 57 of 57 < 1 2 ... 55 56 57

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley