Topic Options
#274805 - 09/06/02 04:54 AM Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Andrey Kovrin Offline

Anybody read it? I think it's fantastic... one of the only truly grown-up comics I've ever read. (If you think about it, many of America's celebrated alternative cartoonists are concerned either with nostalgia or characters who are in a state of arrested childhood... this comic deals with the issues of adult life.) Thoughts?

PS: you can order the paperback version here from Amazon.

#274806 - 09/06/02 04:59 AM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Andrey Kovrin Offline

There are reviews at the UK Amazon ... and here's a review at the Guardian .

#274807 - 09/06/02 02:13 PM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Graeme McMillan Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I loved Gemma Bovery, and think that Posy is one of the most underrated cartoonists out there... Her work is human, engaging and wonderfully easy to read...

#274808 - 09/06/02 05:32 PM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Andrey Kovrin Offline

I'd edit the "e" out of the subject line if I could.

#274809 - 09/06/02 11:09 PM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
Posy Simmomds is wonderfully gifted. I wish more of her work were in print. And that Random House US would release it here. We carry the import Gemma Bovery, but it deserves a wider release.

#274810 - 09/07/02 01:04 PM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
stephen Offline

Loc: Toronto
She's a fantastic talent and this is definitely one of the handful of books I am able to give to adult women who question what the heck it is that appeals to me about comics without having to give a half-assed rationalization first. Her intelligence and skill as a cartoonist are a treat to see.

Now if I could only remember who I last lent mine to so I could reread it...

#274811 - 09/08/02 07:57 PM Re: Posey Simmonds' Gemma Bovery
Gerry Alanguilan_dup1 Offline

Loc: San Pablo City, Laguna, Philip...
Gemma Bovery is one of the few experiments I indulged in during the past few months which I haven't regretted. Tired of reading the same old comics, I went out of my way to check out comics I haven't heard of before. And more often than not, I come away truly enjoying myself.

I bought Gemma Bovery one typical day but when I settled down to read it, it was by far the most un-typical night I've ever had. It was a different comics reading experience. It's not the kind of comics we have come to be used to. The format for one, is rather strange. It's proportionately taller than it is wide compared to a common comic book. The story itself is presented part comic book, part prose, and part fine illustration. It's chockful of words but I was never bogged down, and I was never bored.

I read it in one straight sitting because I truly couldn't put it down. Best of all, the story has a resolution that I never saw coming. Overall, a very satisfying reading experience.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley