Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#275767 - 05/19/03 08:10 PM 20 bucks: What should I get?
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
Well?

I just bought Counterfifth Detective and want another self-contained thingy. I've read damn near everything. Is Elektra Rides Again or Elektra Assassin worth the buy? I don't need anything depressing.

On CFD, damn Azz's wordplay discourages my writing ambitions. I mean, he is so freaking good! Some great lines in this. The plot was standard and the framing device is illogical, but the dialogue and internal monologue is just insanely wonderful. Az is a guy who's popularity I understand. Has he writing anything besides comics? He could be successful in other media for sure.

#275768 - 05/19/03 10:01 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
scudthedisposableassasin Offline

Loc: Chicago
Bizarro SC. or Vol 1 of Uzumaki.

"You're crazy!" " That's what they said about Son Of Sam" - Caddyshack.

"Well I got news forya meatwad. That bus is not a vampire." " I know I know. It's a reverse vampire. Ya see the thing you need to look at is the weels. Those are the markings." "Whoever's in that bus is not Dracula!" "He's not in the bus Frilock, he IS the bus. Im a detective." Aquateen

#275769 - 05/20/03 02:31 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Alan David Doane Offline

Get Bendis's TORSO. Long, involved serial killer story, one of the best things he's done.

ADD

#275770 - 05/20/03 10:55 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?

Hate serial killers, have bizzarro, what's Uzamaki?

#275771 - 05/20/03 12:40 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Uzumaki is a Japanese horror comic, published in America as three volumes. It's fantastically done, and you should pick it up only if you feel like vomiting for three straight days. (More at volumes 2 & 3 than at volume 1.)

Regardless, judging by your not wanting a sad comic, I'll reccomend a comedy. Pick up "Hey, Buddy!" by Peter Bagge. It's the first Hate volume, and it's hysterical.

#275772 - 05/20/03 12:47 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
TIP Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
You could pick up the first Stray Bullets trade and give that series a shot.
Or
High Society by Dave Sim

T

#275773 - 05/20/03 04:18 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
nenad Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Or buy "Miss: Better Living Through Crime". It's a bit more than 20 bucks ($24 I think for about 200 pages). It's not depressing and it's a fine crime graphic novel.
Other interesting crime novels are "Stray Bullets" and "Murder me Dead" (all self-contained).

#275774 - 05/21/03 06:41 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
John Dominguez Offline

I'll second Stray Bullets and Murder me dead. Some of the best books being made. If you like Samurai stuff, check out Vagabond. Or better yet pick up a Scan of Berserk Manga on Ebay for $20. You get 3000 pages on disc. IF you like it I would encourage you to buy the Japanese books as well to support the manga.

#275775 - 05/21/03 09:16 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Jamie Coville Offline

Whiteout and Whiteout: Melt. The two might even be in one volume now, I don't know.

#275776 - 05/21/03 10:32 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?

I'll get space usagi when I can.

#275777 - 06/07/03 02:46 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
one_eye_smiley Offline

Loc: Citrus Heights, CA
Sounds like you've made up your mind, but if you come into another spare $20 get Watchmen. A bloody *classic* by Alan Moore, thought-provoking and self-contained. You'll dig it massively. It's deep, full of seemingly throwaway background detail that furthers the story, and has killer art by Dave Gibbons. Buy it, you'll like it.

And for anyone with a spare $30, get the Alan Moore "Supreme: Story of the Year." It's less profound, but a must for anyone enamoured of Superman archetypes. The art is a mixed bag, but the story will make any old school Superman fan very happy. I bought it even though I couldn't really spare the money, and made my brother swear not to tell my mother about my purchase, or the cost ^^; . It was worth it ^_^ .
Ok, bye.

--------------------------------------------------
"I was a comic book figure ripped from the page and given life." - Miraclewoman, "Miracleman"
# 12.

#275778 - 06/08/03 01:49 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?

got em both thanks

#275779 - 06/08/03 08:34 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
BANE Offline

Loc: Atlanta,GA
Hmm...I wouldn't get a single thing that anyone recommended...I hate indy stuff and am a Marvelite through and through...

If I had $29, I'd get the second installment of the Marvel Star Wars tpb. I have the first one and really want all 5 volumes!

#275780 - 06/09/03 03:39 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
one_eye_smiley Offline

My best friend is a Marvel head, so I know where you're coming from (I'm a DC girl myself). Hey Bane- why not try Squadron Supreme if you haven't already? It's by Marvel, came out in the mid 80s, and influenced many a superhero deconstruction afterwards. Of course, you probable already have it, so just ignore me ^^: ...

--------------------------------------------------
"Well spoken Master. Like a dog." - Radar the Hound Supreme to Supreme, Supreme #(44? 45? )

#275781 - 06/09/03 09:21 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
nenad Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by BANE:
Hmm...I wouldn't get a single thing that anyone recommended...I hate indy stuff and am a Marvelite through and through...

Indy is the new mainstream!

#275782 - 06/09/03 01:45 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
BANE Offline

Well, oneeyed Smiley....

I don't have it. I really only like Mainstream Marvel Universe stuff. Squadran Supreme is not in the "main" Marvel Universe. I have all the Essentials and a boatload of TPB's...

#275783 - 06/09/03 04:04 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Dan Carroll Offline

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. I only watch action movies, and at that, only Arnold Schwarzeneggar movies. In fact, only the Terminator movies and Predator. I tried watching "Kindergarten Cop" and "Running Man" once, but I didn't enjoy them. So I really don't think I would enjoy comedies or sci-fi.

I find it's best to limit myself. If you spread your interests around, they wear thin.

#275784 - 06/09/03 05:08 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
BANE Offline

Quote:
I find it's best to limit myself. If you spread your interests around, they wear thin.

Oh, I have many interests...Amazing Spiderman, Thor, Ironman, Avengers, etc... laugh

#275785 - 06/09/03 09:34 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Oswald Carver Offline

What should you get with $20?

A blowjob. Ha-cha.

#275786 - 06/10/03 07:45 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
BANE Offline

Quote:
A blowjob. Ha-cha.

Ow...Those hurt. I guess every woman would want a guy like me...I will never make them do that...Maybe it's just me but I don't like teeth and an attitude anywhere near down there...

#275787 - 06/10/03 09:22 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Dan Carroll Offline

Man... I was just kidding before, but you really do limit your interests, don't you? wink

#275788 - 06/10/03 07:54 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Oswald Carver Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BANE:

Ow...Those hurt. I guess every woman would want a guy like me...I will never make them do that...Maybe it's just me but I don't like teeth and an attitude anywhere near down there...

Brother, if you're saying to yourself "those hurt" after experiencing a blowjob, then I assure you that someone did something horribly wrong -- consult the owner's manual if necessary.

And no man should ever "make" a woman do anything sexual, whether he enjoys the action or not.

#275789 - 06/11/03 10:10 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
one_eye_smiley Offline

Two thoughts and replies. To Bane- fair enough. I don't know enough about mainstream Marvel to recommend much. But my elder brothers, who have a taste for the silver age(they were born at its middle and tail ends), turned me on to those wonderful essentials. Kirby, Lee, Ditko, Romita and more- pure bliss ^o^ . Most all silver age marvel essentials not owned by anyone on the board are worth a read. Printed on cheap newsprint, incredibly thick, and $20 <= .
To "kidjesus" -
Hey, thanks for turning a graphic novel discussion into a discourse on the relative properties of oral sex. Really what I wanted to see. *grumble* No personal offense intended, just keep it in the gutters next time if possible ^^; .
Ok, bye.

-------------------------------------------------
"Faster! Faster! The overlord would sup!" - Silver Surfer #4

#275790 - 06/12/03 09:28 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
BANE Offline

Oh, One-eyed smiley...

I consider the Essentials Mainstream Marvel. I have them all and am almost done reading them all!

#275791 - 06/12/03 04:58 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Oswald Carver Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by one_eye_smiley:

To "kidjesus" -
Hey, thanks for turning a graphic novel discussion into a discourse on the relative properties of oral sex. Really what I wanted to see. *grumble* No personal offense intended, just keep it in the gutters next time if possible ^^; .

Kiss my grits, one-eye. I replied with what was obviously a one-off joke ($20? Get a blowjob. Har har!), BANE responded by saying "they hurt," "teeth and agression," and "won't make women do it," so, on behalf of reasonable people everywhere, I had no choice but to re-enter the thread to clean up some gross misperceptions about France's greatest contribution to human existence.

And the Gutters don't exist for morally questionable thread posts -- they exist for threads that fall outside the realm of comics. And in all the time I've been using the board, no system administrator has ever asked me to "take it to the gutters" over my potty mouth -- which means you probably shouldn't, either.

Though I did find it amusing that someone with the screen name of one-eye-smiley felt the need to put my nic in quotation marks, presumably to indicate that he wasn't fooled by the obviously fake name...

#275792 - 06/14/03 08:17 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
Isnt "one eye smiley" a nickname for the male genitalia?

#275793 - 07/07/03 04:45 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Thisguyhere Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Carroll:
Yeah, I hear where you're coming from. I only watch action movies, and at that, only Arnold Schwarzeneggar movies. In fact, only the Terminator movies and Predator. I tried watching "Kindergarten Cop" and "Running Man" once, but I didn't enjoy them. So I really don't think I would enjoy comedies or sci-fi.

Best Post Ever. Actully. I'm sick of all the keys on my keyboard. I like this one: l, oh yeah!lllllllllllllllllll l l l llll l
That's the stuff.

#275794 - 07/07/03 08:49 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
musclebound Offline

If you only have 20 bucks, and want a nice escape? Get the trade of Astro City:Confession. Great read. Classic straight up superhero stuff. What you think I could have said Watchmen?? Too obvious by far Batboob--- wink

#275795 - 08/15/03 01:10 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?

read it. I might get the new Human Target gn, maybe.

#275796 - 08/16/03 01:52 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
BANE,

I'll make it brief: you've definitely got someone doing something wrong. Blame the messenger, not the message, in this case.

Now, to answer steel's question...

Sweaterweather, by Sara Varon, and a fish taco.

Matthew

#275797 - 08/16/03 05:48 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
Ronan will give you a handjob for 20 bucks.

#275798 - 08/16/03 11:49 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Brent Grenier Offline

I think you should get the first Futurama trade. it's funny stuff.

Read Fortune and Glory? That's good.

Uh...screw it, buy Zippy books.

#275799 - 08/17/03 02:09 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
It's been three months, steel ... you mean you haven't spent that $20 yet?

#275800 - 08/17/03 04:04 PM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
If you don't want it, I'll take it!!!

Matthew

#275801 - 08/18/03 12:42 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?

I'm still looking for a certain type of GN, but I've since purchased Essential Howard the Duck. It's under my bed. I'll finish it during the next frost, maybe. I want to get the new Human Target or Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen, but now that school is starting I should probably just hold onto my cash.

PS I rented Gangs of New York yesterday and it is definitley a DVD that's worth 20 bucks. What a great film! With the pizza and tip it came out to $20. Can't beat getting a great DVD and delicious pizza delivered right to your door! Also saw Barry Martin and Rodney Carrington for 20 bucks last night. That was funny shit!

Hey, where can I get a fish taco?

#275802 - 08/18/03 06:42 AM Re: 20 bucks: What should I get?
conductor Offline

Haven't both the "$20=blowjob?" and "oneeyesmiley=another name for dick" jokes already been used somewhere? For shame :p .

Kudos to ya steel! Anytime I have a whole unspent $20 in one place usually means I haven't worn that pair of pants for at least three months and forgot to clean out the pockets.

Ever read Dark Horse's Blade of the Immortal's TPs? "Blood of a Thousand" is the first. The hero has a sort of Wolverine-ish attitude/sense of humor, but about twice the cutting utensils. It's Japanese, but does NOT look like manga. I WISH I could draw like that. The story is in samurai-era Japan, but the translated speech is right out of the mouth of today, which is exactly what the writer/artist was going for.

Not sure about the depression factor. I've only read the first 5 so far & there is a "watching a bizarre farm accident" feel to parts... but all in the best possible taste, of course laugh .

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley