Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275980 - 07/16/03 08:52 PM "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Chris Irvine Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I bought the Crisis and Judas Contract tpbs and was very disappointed by what I saw because I remembered Perez as this deffinite super-hero artist of his time alongside John Byrne.

But The Terror of Trigon, now THAT was what legends are made off. This was the George Perez i remembered from my childhood, stunning work. You know what was the difference? The inking. Wich proves to me that George`s strenght has always been as an inker more than a penciller. You want the real deal? It has to be when he inks his work.(That`s why The Avengers of the late 90s sucked LOL)

...Although there a fine inker for George at one time, what was his name Pablo Marco? I wonder what happened to him?

#275981 - 07/17/03 08:04 AM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
TTROY Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
he got old.......

#275982 - 07/17/03 08:43 AM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
TTROY Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
and that is why Perez's inks were the saving grace of the Jurgens Titans series...

of special note.....issues 9-11 with The Warlord were especially nice.

Jurgens and perez were oner of the better art teams on the Titans series after perez/Tanghl and perez/Mcleod

makes your mouth water for the jlavengers all that more huh???

#275983 - 07/17/03 09:54 AM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Masterman_dup1 Offline

There is an arc of development in Perez's stuff from NTT #1 to the conclusion of the NTT series 2 'Trigon' stuff. 'Better' is a hard word. It was definitely changed. My favorite stuff that he did was his early 1980s Avengers, the early 1980s JLA stuff, and of course the NTT.

I also feel that Perez really proved himself with his recent Avengers run. It was a reasonably lengthy run and I liked a lot of the designs he developed for that project. It is the only Marvel that I have picked up in years. Say what one will about Perez, he still has the touch.

#275984 - 07/23/03 12:40 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Masterman_dup1 Offline

Minor correction: I did pick up the recent Daredevil movie adaptation. Marvel is not all that bad.

#275985 - 08/09/03 02:13 AM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Chris Irvine Offline

A little correction: i got enthousiastic about Perez`s work when I started this thread but I had only read issue 1 of the Trigon Trade. But the other issues were not inked by George...so they ended-up looking like crap.

Sorry for the confusion.

#275986 - 08/11/03 02:42 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Bill Angus Offline

Loc: Hamilton, ON, Canada
I haven't seen the trade, but in the original comics both issues 1 & 2 were inked by George, but the scences which took place in the other dimension (sorry - it's been a few years since I read those books, so I can't recall the name) were printed directly from pencils. Granted, heavily rendered tonal pencils... I believe that when issue 2 was re-printed in the 'Tales of the Titans' newstand edition the pencil-only section were inked by Romeo Tanghal, who took over as inker for the rest of the storyline (and, of course, had been George's orignal inker on NTT).

As for Pablo Marcos, he did do some tremendous inking over Perez in 'Avengers' - however, he had been specifically asked not to ink in his general style - which tends to be a heavy brush - but instead to approach with a more gentle touch (or at least that's the story I heard). As far as I know, the next time they were paired no such restrictions were imposed, and the combination took on a very different look, in NTT annual #2 (the Vigilante annual).

#275987 - 08/12/03 03:32 AM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Chris Irvine Offline

Thanks for the info. I loved Perez and Marco`s work on Avengers(and Fantastic Four). I wish Perez`s work would have always looked that way. However I did like his Wonder Woman work a lot wich he inked himself. It was different but equaly good. I`m going to take a look at that annual.

By the way, I don`t know if it`s just me, but the promos for JLA/Avengers doesn`t impress me at all. It looks more like the GP of Avengers in the recent 90s years(wich I hated). Just look at the covers George did for the new Who`s Who series of books in the early 90s in comparison...

#275988 - 08/12/03 02:04 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Bill Angus Offline

Actually, Perez inked very little of his Wonder Woman work (outside of covers).

There are a few pages in the first issue that George may have inked (I honestly don't know for sure), but he definately had inkers while he was still pencilling that series. Off the top of my head, the two primary (if not only) inkers on Perez's Wonder Woman were Bruce Patterson & Bob McCloud (sp?).

Patterson, like Perez, uses a lot of linework in his inking, where (generally) McCloud, and Perez's primary Titans inker Romeo Tanghal, use a more fluid style (though not as heavy as the usual Marcos style).

As far as the JLA/Avengers preview... well, I would expect it to look like his more recent Avengers (and his Cross-Gen books), than his Who's Who covers from the late '80s. People's styles tend to move in only 1 direction, in my experience.

Is Perez inking it himself? If so, it may also bear some resemblance to his work on Crimson Plague (and possibly even Sachs & Violence).

#275989 - 08/12/03 09:12 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Chris Irvine Offline

Is Perez inking it himself? If so, it may also bear some resemblance to his work on Crimson Plague (and possibly even Sachs & Violence).

...and like the Who`s Who covers. I`m talking about those huge books that you could put the detached sheets in. It was the top seven or so DC super-heroes on the front and the top villains on the back.

#275990 - 08/16/03 10:31 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Claude Offline

Loc: USA
Perez never seems to get enough acknowledgement for his work. His Avengers work was great, as was his Teen Titans stuff from the early '80s. One question though: A few years back, he did a story set in outer space about a sort of ultra-Typhoid Mary sort of character who carried a virus that caused people to bleed profusely. Wasn't it called Crimson somethingorother?

It got a nice bit of press,but I only ever saw one issue. What happened to it? Did he abandon it? Did the publisher go under?

--Claude

#275991 - 08/18/03 02:53 PM Re: "Terror of Trigon" Titans tpb: Best work George Perez has ever done?
Bill Angus Offline

Chris - my mistake. I was thinking of the original Who's Who covers, which Perez only drew some of, and inked even less.

Claude - that was Crimson Plague. It had, I believe, 2 (or 3, depending on how you choose to count them) issues, published by 2 different companies.

The original #1 was published by Quesada's Event (?) comics, and while there was worked completed for at least a second issue (many pages were available on the company's website), no second issue ever appeared. Unfortunately, I don't remember the circumstances that led this situation.

Later, as part ot the Gorilla Comics line, the title was re-launched with a double-sized (? - well, over-sized, anyway, again, my memory fails me) first issue, containing many (if not all) of the pages originally intended for #2. A second issue followed, but, due to financial difficulties, the Gorilla line was shelved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley