Topic Options
#277990 - 12/24/98 10:04 PM JOE ORLANDO DIES AT AGE 71
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
Joe Orlando, legendary comic book artist and editor, passed away December 23 in Manhattan at the age of 71.

He will be missed!

#277991 - 12/24/98 11:10 PM Re: JOE ORLANDO DIES AT AGE 71
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
My memories of Joe Orlando are probably different than most. The first time I really noticed his work-- accompanied by that trademark signature with the "big O's" was in the Supergirl strip appearing in Adventure Comics. I was a kid then, and this wasn't a Supergirl I was used to seeing-- in hot-pants and a low-cut blowse.
The next time I saw his work was in the "Black Orchid" strip, also in Adventure.

Tho' his work spanned decades, I will always connect Joe Orlando with these two comics-- books that hold a special place in my memories.

Dadgummit, Joe-- you were one of the "good ones," and I'll miss you.

#277992 - 12/25/98 03:20 PM Re: JOE ORLANDO DIES AT AGE 71
Larry Shell Offline

Loc: Irvington, NJ USA
I am indeed sorry to hear of Joe Orlando's passing. I have not seen or spoken to him in many years but I will never forget how nice he was to that 13 year old fanboy who visited the DC offices several times in the 1970s.

I always enjoyed his EC comics work and fondly recall reading his Warren and Daredevil work fresh off the newsstand.

Another comics great leaves this mortal coil. So long Joe, we'll miss you!

------------------
Larry Shell, VP - Marketing for Cremo Studios. Distributed to the free world by Shel-Tone Publications. Check out our latest release, SOUTHERN-FRIED HOMICIDE! Try it, you'll like it!

#277993 - 12/27/98 04:46 PM Re: JOE ORLANDO DIES AT AGE 71
Greg Strohecker Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD USA
Hi comicon,

My favorite more recent works by Joe Orlando was the page he did in Watchmen and the Phantom Stranger story he did.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley