Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280318 - 06/11/99 10:26 PM "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
For all those sci-fi and "Trekkers" fans (of which I must say "I am" to a certain extent), DeForrest Kelly aka Dr. "Bones" McCoy of the original Star Trek series died today after an extensive illness. I always liked waiting for him to utter that immortal line, in one form or another, that I listed in the threads title. He may not have been the greatest of actors (heck, look at Shatner) but he made Star Trek memorable for me with his being the counter-point to Spock. I always liked the "exchanges" between the two of them.

May he rest in peace.

Oh...someone brought this up on the Event boards, that we'll probably hear that tag-line now a thousand times. I didn't mean it as a joke, really. It was out of respect for the hours of entertainment he brought to me and countless others. Godspeed.

[This message has been edited by Glenn Barbis (edited 06-11-99).]

#280319 - 06/12/99 12:27 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Rich Henn Offline

Loc: Eldersburg, MD USA
I am....very upset....

....Jim...

#280320 - 06/12/99 01:08 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Andrew Debly Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB Canada
How can you not mean it as a joke, Glenn?

Tactless.

Tasteless.

Crude.

Insensitive.

Hopefully no one will say that of you when you pass on.

#280321 - 06/12/99 01:15 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Andrew Debly Offline

Here's a couple of URL's which contain obituaries of Kelly:

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9906/11/kelley.obit.ap

and

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/entertainment/DailyNews/kelley990611.html

Neither contain any crass remarks.

[This message has been edited by Andrew Debly (edited 06-12-99).]

#280322 - 06/12/99 02:00 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Andrew, I grew up watching countless hours of Star Trek. I have all the episodes and movies on tape. When I was of drinking age, we had drinking games of Star Trek. Every time a red shirt died and Bones said his famous line, among other things, we drank. I remember an article on DeForrest were he stated that he knew when he did die, that line would be used and he said that was okay. It showed what an impact Trek had on people that a simple line from an old TV show would be remembered so fondly. He thought it would be funny.

I did not intend to be mean or heartless. I loved the show, the characters, and the actors that played them. I am sorry if it offended you to the point of sarcasm directed towards me. But it's a line that's ingrained in our consiousness and is synonomous with Mr. Kelly. Like I said above, I waited all the time as a kid for the red-shirt to die, so I could hear him say that line. It brings back great memories of sitting on the floor, watching and wondering about the universe and the sense of awe it brought out in me. And DeForrest (along with Star Trek in general)will always be a happy memory of childhood for me.

Again, I mourn the loss of him and send regards to his family. But I don't think even he would be offended by the tag-line. Especially since I explained my reasoning for it. It truly is one of my favorite lines ever from the show and was in no way meant as any disrespect for the man. I'm sorry you were offended. But I've already seen worse on the internet about him that WAS meant as a joke. And you know that between Leno, Letterman, and all the other "talk-shows" there will be more of the same. Hopefully you will let them know your feelings also, when the time comes. You can e-mail the respective networks.

Same as any news story about comics always leading off with "BIFF" "BAM" "POW", it's synonomous with the person or ariticle in question.

I will enjoy watching Star Trek for a long time and I hope it brings as much joy to my daughters as it did me in my youth. And when Bones says his famous line, I'll laugh a little bit, and think of DeForrest as the gruff "Dr. McCoy" and know in my heart the fun and happiness I felt as as a kid. And I'll say a prayer for him. And remember him.

#280323 - 06/12/99 04:40 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Kady Mae Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
I've never been much of a "Trekker" (too young to be a "Trekkie") but of all the characters in TOS, I rather liked the good doctor.

------------------
Sequential Tart -- On time world domination and fanboy elimination.
http://www.sequentialtart.com

#280324 - 06/12/99 11:02 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Sir Jon Offline

Loc: Portland, CT USA
Glenn, although I initially winced at the title of your post, I have to say that you're right about the quote being now-synonymous with DeForest Kelley. I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

Although a big fan of Trek, especially the original series, I've never considered myself a "Trekkie," or whatever they call themselves now. I've only been to two Star Trek conventions, both of which were after Next Generation aired and both were huge disappointments. I've never met any of the original actors, but DeForest Kelley had always been on my list of stars I would've liked to have sat down with, considering his experience prior to Trek. I was glad to see on CNN last evening that he was remembered for other parts than that of Bones. I know I'll miss him, but at least he has all that work that still exists.

Sir Jon

#280325 - 06/12/99 12:22 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Scott Shaw Offline

Loc: Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Forget about vulcans, klingons, gorns and mugattos...the man fought GIANT RABBITS, for god's sake! I'm not a Trekkie, but I think I'll watch a tape of the wonderfully idiotic "NIGHT OF THE LEPUS" in memory of good ol' De.

SCOTT "It's Dumb, Jim" SHAW!

#280326 - 06/12/99 01:08 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
As a certified (certifiable) card-carrying first-generation Trekkie, and damn proud of it -- my official Enterprise Flight Deck Officer Certificate is on prominent display in my living room (couldn't tell you where I put my college degree) -- I must mourn the passing of DeForest Kelley, whom I have heard from some who knew him was every bit the charming gentleman he could be in those instances on the show where Dr. McCoy courted the various ladyfolk of the galaxy. I wish I had had the chance to meet him; the triumvirate of Kirk/Spock/McCoy had a big effect on my personal development when I was a kid. (Scary thought, I know.)

By karmic coincidence, a friend called to break the news to me and told me just as I switched to TBS, which was at that time showing Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan... as he was telling me, the screen filled with a closeup of the good doctor. A fitting tribute... I watched the rest of the movie all the way thru to honor Mr. Kelley's memory.

So long, Bones... Warp Speed. (SALUTE)

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#280327 - 06/12/99 02:11 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
skott Offline

Loc: Canton,Ohio,USA
"Night of the Lupus"! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I mean no disrespect to this post, I am saddened myself, but that movie is classic! I almost forgot he was in it! Thanks for the laugh Shaw! Bye Mr. Kelley.

#280328 - 06/12/99 02:15 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
skott Offline

Loc: Canton,Ohio,USA
ooops! Or is it "Lepus". In my throes of laughter i became confused.

#280329 - 06/12/99 04:00 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
ThomasPaine99 Offline

Loc: North Comstock, New York, Sull...
Scotty!

One to beam up!

------------------
Tom Paine
"Let that that has come from dust return to it"
Henry Orek
The Vacuum Foundation
The Vacuum Foundation

#280330 - 06/12/99 04:16 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Andrew Debly Offline

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for responding. Making light of the recently departed hits a nerve with me (Princess Diana jokes are the worst) but you've convinced me that you really weren't. Sooo... I withdraw my previous comments. If you wish, I will eliminate them from the board.

In any case, I had the choice to give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your sentiments but didn't. From now on, I will.

Let's shake hands and consider the matter a misunderstanding on my part.

#280331 - 06/12/99 06:32 PM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Not a problem Andrew. And I don't feel you should edit your comments. You have every right to express what you feel and for others to see that expression. Thank you for understanding and caring.

#280332 - 06/13/99 04:26 AM Re: "He's dead Jim!" DeForrest Kelly 1920 - 1999 R.I.P.
savage Offline

Loc: Minneapolis,MN USA
Now that every one is done being offended... (actually, the title of the thread made me grin).

When I was a kid the doctor was my man. My grandmother used to work nights (she was a nurse) and being a nocturnally leaning sort myself, I used to stay up with her and watch the late movies and whatever shows were on at that hour. Usually, this consisted of Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. Of all of the stuff that I remember most clearly there are only two moments in Star Trek that I connect with those nights. One was Bones hauling some pregnant woman up a hill proclaiming,"I'm a doctor not an escalator." and the other was while trying to fix a blob of living magma and stating,"I'm a doctor not a brick layer."

So, lets all raise a glass of window cleaner to the good doctor. (Romulan Ale?)

------------------
Justin Savage
President/Editor/Web-bozo
Sabre's Edge
www.sabresedge.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >