#280361 - 06/17/99 12:45 AM Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
Anonymous
Unregistered

Heroes con is located in Charlotte, NC June 18-20th
http://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/
The hours are Friday 11am - 7pm * Saturday 10am - 6pm * Sunday 11am - 6pm
Admission:$10.00 per day * $20.00 for 3-day pass Family Specials-Kids 10
and under free.

I'll be there, as will scores of other cartoonists. As always I'll be happy to critique your portfolio or doodle out a free quick sketch of Carrie Stetko or even Hawkman, but now that I've worked on a comic people actually like, I'm starting to get some busy stretches at conventions. If I'm overwhelmed with what's in front of me, I'll ask you to come back when things have gotten quieter. Don't take it personally.

Best regards,
Steve Lieber

------------------
My web page: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/
Preview of WHITEOUT #1 at www.easystreet.com/~kodiak/Whiteout.html
WHITEOUT tpb now in stores. A sequel is coming later this year.

#280362 - 06/21/99 11:03 AM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
jbgallag Offline

Loc: Falls Church, VA
So, everyone who went...

How was the show?

I went last year and had a great time. Shelton and everyone else were easy to work with, the people attending were friendly (although a little indy shy), and I got to meet George Perez, Mark Crilley, Jeff Smith, Stan Sakai, Linda Medley... uh oh, this has turned into a fanboy rant...

Anyway, how WAS the show?

Check out a free preview of the NEW BUZZBOY mini, our 2 Buzzboy TPB's-- In comic shops and bookstores now!
www.skydogcomics.com

#280363 - 06/22/99 06:28 AM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was a terrific show. from where I was sitting. I had a nice, steady stream of visitors at my table and ran out of books fairly early on Sunday. I don't have a "con report" to share bacause the I didn't encounter the intensity or weirdness that informs such things. Heroes Con was smooth sailing from the beginning to the end.

An uncharacteristically dapper George Perez did a great job as auctioneer, and something like 17,000 bucks were raised for the Charlotte Firefighters Fund for Burnt Children. Jeff Parker, whose work can be found in Image Comics/Flypaper Press comic, The Deception, impressed everyone with his large cartoon painting. Bidding was furious on it, and when it slowed, Parker called out that he'd also do a custom watercolor piece for the winner if someone advanced the bid. Bidding began again, and in the end, his contribution was among the top money earners. The top was Scott Hampton, whose painting sold for $1200.

The only piece I bid on was a Sam Glanzman "Attu" splash page, which went for a song, but was still outside of my meager budget. Gahh.

------------------
My web page: www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/8914/
Preview of WHITEOUT #1 at www.easystreet.com/~kodiak/Whiteout.html
WHITEOUT tpb now in stores. A sequel is coming later this year.

#280364 - 06/22/99 12:35 PM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
George Broderick Jr Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Steve... I heard the auction raised over $20,000... does anyone have an actual count?

I liked the con's "family" atmosphere. No wrestlers, no scantily clad babes, no performance artists (unless you count the half-assed things Wizard had some attendees doing for some measly "collectible prizes" that, by my reckoning, were worth about $2 on the open market... *sigh* the price of some people's dignity...).

Anyway, this show seemed to be just about the comics and I encountered NO "Indy-shy" backlash on any of the three days... if people were there to buy, they bought with no undue song and dance on my part -- with many folks willing to take the chance on my "unknown" indy book, Courageous Man Adventures, sight unseen. God love 'em!

Overall a good con and a great experience emotionally -- no cynicism about the industry in the Carolinas!

And didn't you just love the dealer who was selling ALL books for 10 cents apiece? Holy 1962, Caped Crusader!

------------------

#280365 - 06/22/99 06:08 PM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
Samuel Catalino Offline

Unfortunately, I was only there for a few hours due to personal business. It was worth going out of my way to see some friends.

Oh, who the heck am I kidding? I just wanted to pick up a couple of Georges' posters of which my face is among them.

It is a great con, I only wish I had more time to have spent there.

I recommend it highly.

Sam

#280366 - 06/22/99 07:16 PM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
Kimberly Edmisten Offline

This was our second year at Heroes Con. As before, the experience was fantastic. We were able to turn over lots of copies of POST MORTEM #1 which actually debuted at this year's convention. The Charlotte (and surrounding areas) crowd was very supportive of our indy efforts. Plus, all the pros who stopped by to look at our product were insightful and willing to assist us with invalueable advice. Despite the severe cold Sam and I shared, we'd love to do it again tomorrow. (Well, at least very soon.)

#280367 - 06/22/99 10:10 PM Re: Heroes Con in Charlotte June 18-20
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Wow! Comics for .10 cents each!?? THAT certainly must have been a congested area?
Sounds like everyone had a great time.

Steve-- Are you an admirer of Sam Glanzman? I've been reading and collecting his Kona, Monarch of Monster Isle for nearly 30 years straight. I'm also {{blush}} a big fan of his War art. We had Sam and his wife here in Utica back in 1996 for two days. ORCA hosted their 'first' one day convention, which we tagged 'ORCon'96'. It was a rainy spring day that helped to keep our door traffic just over 600 attendees. We held a welcome dinner the night before the show, and we bought lunch for everyone ... including the retailers (10 of them) that supported our first efforts at holding our own show. Our Guest of Honor was Joe Sinnott. We also featured Dick Ayers. A number of other creators attended - Rich Pini, Jim Califiore, Stefan Petruca, Ken Lashley, Mark McKenna, ...oh, and a bunch of self publishing small press people. We took a hit in the pocket, what with reimbursing travel & accomodations, but we learned a hard lesson while having fun. Our auction earned over $2300. dollars for the local charity we were helping to support.

Geez, and I didn't think I had the strength to recant all of that. There's a QUEEN CITY ComiCon '99 show being held in Buffalo, New York by Chautauqua Comics. The flyer I got in the mail states that Mark Waid, Scott McDaniel, Brian Augustyn, Paul Pellitier, Ron Marz, Daryl Banks, Howard Mackie, Wayne Faucher, Leonard Kirk, Tom Peyer, Pat Lee, Graham Nolan, John Kalisz, Ron Boyd, Greg Hyland, Jason Armstrong, Ken Penders, Chris Yambar, ... and, ugh,... yeah, ... George Broderick will be there. I'm going to submit the info for consideration. Maybe ORCA will be there. We need something to make up for our having to leave the Pittsburgh ComiCon early this year. Buffalo in September. What a beautiful place! Oh, and the CBLDF will be there too!

Any of you 'nasty old' retailers going to be there? The flyer says that a SMALL PRESS EXPO will be happening there, tables still available.

Guess that's it! Maybe I'll see a few of you there?

Best,

------------------
Rick Olney
It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.
--Thomas Sowell, Creators Syndicate
orca@eGroups.com