Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#281201 - 07/27/99 02:34 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Robert Offline

Loc: The belly of the beast
DAN HOLLOWAY [7-posts on this thread]: "The truth is however that nne of this matters, since no one other than the same people who were arguing at TCJ have decided to respond to this thread...Unless something unforeseen happens, it would appear that you're the only person in all of Fantasyland that really gives a damn about this subject."

Uh, Dan...something "unforeseen" has happened.
Acknowledge the validity and we'll move on.

Note to Veitch: I didn't initiate this thread here. Although given the tenor of the "Malaise" and "American Splendor" threads it would hardly seem inappropriate.

[This message has been edited by Robert (edited 07-28-99).]

#281202 - 07/27/99 03:19 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Dan Holloway Offline

Loc: Tampa/Tallahassee FL
Don-
As I said, half assed replies will be ignored. The first third of the thread that you're referring to amounts to a bunch of people (myself included) mouth on off in half joking fashion. To anyone not taking part in the discussion at that point, it would definately appear tedious and childish in nature. That's why I asked that anyone deciding to respond read the thread in it's ENTIRETY. The thread takes a very explicit turn less than half way through after remaining silent for over ten days, and it is at that point that a good deal of the "meat" of the discussion takes place. So, quack your way back over there and read the whole thing. If you choose not to, I understand, but don't expect anyone to consider your opinion an informed one.

Robert-
I would hardly call Rick Veitch showing up to deliver his daily flogging, followed by Don's uninformed response and some guy named Sgt. Carter "unforseen." In fact, it seems to be the most forseeable of circumstances given the way this board has been raging lately.

#281203 - 07/27/99 03:49 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Kim Thompson Offline

Oh Lord, when will it end?

Robert is still an idiot. Please stop encouraging him, everyone.

#281204 - 07/27/99 04:27 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Kim: And what of poor old RICK?
Alas, the ego deflator is working! As per the request of Mr.Veitch I shall return to whence I came.
orca@eGroups.com

#281205 - 07/28/99 02:12 AM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Robert Offline

At this point there's just no explaining Kim's rising level of psychosis. Suddenly he makes the one guy posting immediately after him almost look rational.

#281206 - 07/28/99 08:54 AM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Don Markstein Offline

Loc: Earth
Dan Holloway --
If there is a point made anywhere in that mass of tedious invective which is not made in the first post, please take pity on those of us who have lives and work for a living, and give us a concise summary.

Quack, Don

------------------
GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW FOR LIBRARIES
P.O. Box 55148
Phoenix, AZ 85078

#281207 - 07/28/99 10:56 AM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Dan Holloway Offline

That's a fair enough request, Don. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my time, but I suppose I dug my own hole.

THE FIRST HALF (POSTS 1-19):

The thread originates with my post which was reposted here by Robert. Domingos, javagirl, Timothy J. Miller (MtPanic at the time) Chris Skonka and I proceed in taking joking (probably not funny, but still joking) pot shots at Comicon. Steve Lieber instructs on how to disable the flashing banners on the page, Karon Flage suggests that such comments should be directed at the owners of Comicon, JL Roberson gives his personal reasons for posting at Comicon, and tim harrison declares his love for the color red.

THE SECOND HALF (POSTS 20-48):

After being inactive for eight days, Robert Young revives the thread with a short post defending Comicon in which he points out that many of the people complaining about it also post there, proclaims an exchange at Comicon between Gary Groth and Rick Veitch to be the most enlightening thread at either sight, and questions why anyone would have a problem with the color red. Milo George then responds, pounting out that while some posters at the Journal board also use the TCJ board, Robert has been using the TCJ board only to defend Comicon. He then comments on the Gutters thread and the tendency of posters there to gang up on one person ad nausium until the thread reaches about 300 posts. There is then a somewhat neutral response from Timothy J. Miller, and then a response from Robert in which he denies that there is any similarity between his posting habits at TCJ and those of other TCJ posters at Comicon. He points out Kim Thompson's presence in the Gutters, and questions the integrity of posting the comments made in the thread thus far at TCJ rather than Comicon. Robert also made derogative comment about Timothy's mental capabilities in light of his mispelling of the word "intelligent"(which he apparently later edited out).

Kim Thompson then jumps in and mocks Robert for making fun of someone's spelling and then mispelling "similar" three words later, and informs Robert that he has not posted in gutters for weeks.

There's more, but I have to go to class. I will (reluctantly) finish this later. Christ this is tedious.

#281208 - 07/28/99 02:43 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Dan Holloway Offline

And basically Robert makes fun of people's spelling some more, Kim Milo and Timothy call him on it. Robert refuses to admit that he's being an ass about the spelling thing. I call him a prick, he calls me a coward. I say that my comments had already been brought up in the Timespell #4 thread at Comicon and no one seemed to care, then decided to post over here so that he'll stop giving me hell about it.

Sorry, but that shit in my last post took too long to do, and is probably just as tedious read as it was to write. I tried, Don.

#281209 - 07/28/99 04:46 PM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Robert Offline

Dan Holloway wrote: "--the selections you chose present the most biased representation of that thread I can imagine"

#281210 - 07/29/99 08:34 AM Re: "Comicon.com and a poor use of aggressive colors" revisited
Don Markstein Offline

Loc: Earth
Dan, I don't want to come off like the guy who sneers at something he hasn't seen, dares you to show it to him, and no matter what it actually looks like, sneers that he'd been right the first time.

Unfortunately, it looks like I was right the first time. How is what you've just described different from the part I saw?

Since these things seldom take turns for the better, I figured I was justified in giving up after about a third, and saying so. Your reply indicated that perhaps I was wrong, and while my response might have been a little on the petulant side, it was intended as acknowledgment of such.

I appreciate the effort you've made to enlighten me, but for all the good it's done, you needn't have bothered. I really did read your posts with an open mind, but remain of the opinion that the TCJ thread cited is nothing but a mass of tedious invective, that the attempt to transplant it here is merely a waste of everyone's time, and that this thread would have been better suited to The Gutters, where it would not have wasted the time of anyone except those who seem to have all the time in the world for this sort of stuff.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if there's a reply to this post, but other than that, I've wasted enough of my own time on it already.

Quack, Don

------------------
GRAPHIC NOVEL REVIEW FOR LIBRARIES
P.O. Box 55148
Phoenix, AZ 85078

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >